Part - XVII

7th Nov, 2023
20:23

Sasuke stepped out of the shower and dried himself off. He looked at himself objectively in the full length bathroom mirror. His face as it always had been, classical Uchiha features. His arms and abdomen were well defined under the pale smooth skin, his legs strong and toned, without being bulky. His whole life people had told him how flawless his face and form were, had offered him anything just for a chance to fuck him even once. He laughed sneeringly at himself. Of all the people he had chosen to fall in love with, he had picked one of the only ones who would never love him back just for the way he looked and blindly forgive all his sins. He supposed that was one of the main reasons he had been so fixated on Naruto. Naruto had validated Sasuke's self worth separate from his looks or money.

When Naruto had befriended him, it had meant that he was worthy of friendship outside of what everyone else used him for. And when Naruto had loved him, it had meant that there was something inside of Sasuke that was worth loving, that was separate from the exterior that everyone else fixated on to the exclusion of anything else he had to offer. That was why the betrayal had hurt so much. Because then it meant that... maybe what was inside Sasuke wasn't worth much after all. Maybe all he was was his looks and family money.

Sasuke didn't know what he hoped for at this point. That the affair had never happened, and he had destroyed the relationship irreparably on his own, or that the affair had happened, and he would have to deal with the fact that he still wanted Naruto anyway. Neither seemed like a particularly happy ending.

He needed to know how Naruto felt. Did he hate him? Miss him? Feel guilty? Had he moved on entirely? Even if things couldn't be the way they were, he was not going to simply let Naruto go again. He knew himself well enough to acknowledge that. He needed to test the waters somewhere neutral to get a better read on how Naruto felt about him at this point. Two years was a long time. But not compared to the amount of time they had been together. Not compared to what they had been to each other. He knew that it would be better to wait until he had talked to Hinata and Sakura, and knew for sure what had happened. But his thoughts were consumed now with visions of Naruto moving on and disappearing again from his life. If he waited too long, the last tie would be cut and there would be nothing left to hold on to. He had looked into the schedule of showings at the art gallery that Suigetsu had mentioned. Naruto's works would be displayed Tuesday. Sasuke would try to track down Sakura before then, but either way, he was going to go see Naruto.

.
.
.

Naruto walked up to the security desk at Uchiha Corporation, not surprised by the guard's look of shocked recognition. Before the divorce, Sasuke had taken over the running of the corporation while Itachi was in the coma, and Naruto had regularly come by to meet him for lunch or pick him up after work. But it had been two years since anyone had seen the blond in that building. And he knew that word of his arrival would reach the top floor long before he did. He only hoped that Sasuke was not in the building.

Jugo simply nodded when Naruto said he had an appointment with Uchiha Itachi, and called up to Itachi's assistant to let her know Naruto was on his way up. Naruto braced himself for a potential encounter with Sasuke. He had managed to avoid seeing him so far since he had been back, but he knew that eventually they would run into each other. Especially if Naruto spent any time inside a building bearing the man's last name. But he had to get this done. He had signed the divorce papers shortly after arriving back in Japan, and even if he hadn't received official confirmation from Gaara, he was sure that it had gone through smoothly. Someone would have told him if there had been any problems. With the marriage officially over, the jointly owned business was the last string.

He reached the top floor and walked as directly as he could to Itachi's office, politely acknowledging the shocked looks and greetings from people who had known him before, but not staying to talk with anyone. He wasn't back in this office to stay.

He took a deep breath as he was shown into Itachi's office, relieved to see the man was alone and his brother nowhere in sight.

Itachi stood as he entered, his face expressionless, but not hostile. "Naruto," he greeted, his voice smooth and controlled.

Naruto hesitated only a second before walking around the desk and embracing him, earning a not-so-surprised grunt from the typically stoic man.

"Itachi. I am so glad you are awake. God, I missed you. How are you? You look good, Naruto's voice was rough with emotion, his face sincere.

Itachi sighed slightly and gave a small hug back. They had known each other a very long time. "I'm well," was all he said.

Naruto pulled away, looking slightly uncomfortable. "I got back in the country two months ago. I wanted to come to see you right away when I heard you were out of the hospital, but..." he trailed off, and shrugged, sadness etching his features. "You know about Sasuke and me."

Itachi nodded, sitting down and gesturing Naruto to sit as well. "I was sorry to hear about the split," Itachi said sincerely. He carefully studied Naruto's expression. He saw sadness, but not fear or guilt. Naruto's face had always been an open book. And that, more than anything that the man would say to him over the course of the next hour, convinced him that Naruto had never cheated. Naruto had been rather terrified of Itachi when they were younger... as was basically everyone else. And while their relationship had evolved to be closer over the years, if Naruto had really done something to hurt Sasuke, he would be quaking in his shoes to face Itachi now. Naruto definitely had no idea why Sasuke had ended it. There had been no affair. A knot in Itachi's chest released at the knowledge.

______♡♡♡______

TBC..

Well, don't forget to check out my other stories as well 😉
I'll be back soon with the new chapter..
Take care and stay healthy and hydrated. love you all 🥰❤️

Cr: NaruLove11
Dt - 07/11/2023 - 20:23
1134 words