Part - XXVI

10th Nov, 2023
12:57

Sasuke barked out a short laugh. God, this was not at all how he had imagined this story playing out. Naruto grabbed the bottle, just swirling the liquid for a moment, then taking a small drink. "Anyway, my stomach was cramping up a lot. Sakura said something about checking to be sure I didn't have appendicitis. Honestly that didn't make any sense to me at the time, given that we knew I had just eaten something that had give at least five other people food poisoning, but I had been puking my guts out and she was a doctor and Hinata and I just didn't really think about it. She climbed up on the bed, saying she didn't want to be too close to the bucket, and put her ear to my stomach for a few seconds supposedly to see if she could hear anything strange from the appendix, then proclaimed my appendix fine and she and Hinata went and changed clothes. That must have been the footage that she pulled the second photo from, just before she turned her head to put her ear to my stomach. I'm sure she did that on purpose, knowing it would really look like she was giving me head in that frame, but I had my pants on, and... fuck. I was on the bed with them in the room for a total of less than two minutes. Sakura must have gone through the footage frame by frame to find something to use that looked questionable. And I never considered this event as a possible reason for you leaving, because it was about as far from sex as you could get. The whole room smelled like vomit, I was in agony, and we were just waiting for the ambulance. God, Hinata is going to die of embarrassment when she see's these photos. You know what a prude she is."

Sasuke felt his whole world shifting as the reality of what had actually happened soaked in. And the enormity of the mistake he had made was like a gaping whole waiting to swallow him up. He took a long drink, willing there to be some way to fix this.

Naruto blew out a breath. "The paramedics came and I spent the next two days in the hospital. I'm sure they still have records of the call and the two days I spent the hospital, if you need to check." Sasuke flinched at the words. Naruto's tone had hardened a bit, the bitterness seeping through.

"I told Sakura to call you and let you know that I was in the hospital. I was still puking and hooked up to IV and didn't want to try a phone. Plus I figured that since she was a doctor, and you always worry so much, she'd be able to answer all your questions. I was a little annoyed that you didn't call me or come back early, but I'm guessing she never called you in the first place." Sasuke could hear the hurt in Naruto's voice and he bled from it, regret almost overwhelming him.

"No. I never heard anything until the message you left the next morning telling me that you were feeling better and not to worry. But by then, I had already received the package from Sakura, so... I never called you back." There was real regret in Sasuke's voice. Naruto almost never got sick, and the one time he had been seriously ill, Sasuke hadn't been there for him. Naruto felt a flash of anger, even knowing that his friend had suffered, too.

"Why didn't you call me, Sasuke? Why didn't you talk to me about this? Confront me with it?"

Sasuke looked at Naruto, pain and regret etched across his face. "Do you think I haven't asked myself that question a million fucking times? God, what I wouldn't give to go back and undo that one thing. Just that one little decision." His gaze faltered then, and he looked down.

"But I just... I just didn't know what to do. Anything else. God, I could lose anything else. But you were all I had left that mattered. My parents were dead, Itachi was in a coma. There was no one else that I trusted, no one who really knew me, besides you. And the thought of you cheating, the thought of me not being enough for you anymore, I just... it.... I couldn't face it. I didn't know how to handle it." Sasuke took the bottle and took a long drink, and drew a shuddering breath. "I thought, if I took these pictures to you, and it was some kind of trick, you'd be furious at me for doubting you. And if it were real, would! let you talk me into thinking it was a trick just because that was what I so desperately wanted to believe? So I thought I would look into it first. There was a film guy in Okinawa that I happened to know who had done work for Itachi authenticating some photos a while back. I called him and had him look at the pictures to see if this was just someone doing some good cut and paste with kinky pictures. While he was analyzing them, I went to each of the hotels there and talked to anyone who was still on the staff who remembered you and Hinata and Sakura. They confirmed that you had been there. With them."