╔FIVE╗

Jungkook was consumed by anxiety.

A rattling sensation coiled in the depths of his being, causing his body to shake uncontrollably. His lips trembled in sync with his quivering body.

Jungkook blinked rapidly, his lashes fluttering, as tears welled up and fell down his cheeks. He hastily wiped them away, struggling to catch his breath.

The conversation with Taehyung from the previous night played over and over in his mind, despite his desperate attempt to forget. Taehyung remained a constant presence in his thoughts.

The idea of running away had completely failed, leaving Jungkook with no other option but to stick to his job. Taehyung claimed to have stopped killing people for Jungkook's sake and expressed a desire to change, but Jungkook found it hard to believe.

He didn't want to experience betrayal once again by foolishly trusting Taehyung.

However, Jungkook couldn't deny that the mere thought of Taehyung changing himself because of the adrenaline rush Jungkook had given him brought a smile to Jungkook's lips as he exited the elevator on the 11th floor.

Unfortunately, his satisfaction quickly disappeared when he found himself surrounded by a crowd of people. His fear of social interaction had never left, and in fact, it had only intensified. Being in the midst of a crowd terrified Jungkook.

His social anxiety took over, causing his stomach to drop as he felt the weight of people's gazes on him. Maybe the idea of working wasn't as pleasant as he had initially thought. Jungkook pondered this, but it was too late to turn back now. He had to endure this for the rest of the month.

But, it couldn't be worse than having Taehyung as the CEO, right?

"Mister Kim, please come over," Taehyung's secretary said, shocking Jungkook. She greeted him with a friendly smile, holding a clipboard and pen in her hands. Her attire was also quite casual. Her brown hair was tied into a messy bun on her right side.

Jungkook felt concerned about her hairstyle and wondered if it was allowed. However, he pushed aside his worries and forced himself to smile, wanting to reciprocate her friendly gesture. His smile faded, and Jungkook awkwardly cleared his throat. "It's Jeon. Jeon Jungkook," he said.

The girl blinked in surprise. "Oh?" she responded before apologizing with a smile and scratching the back of her head. "My mistake. I heard someone call you that yesterday, so I assumed... Sorry for jumping to conclusions," she chuckled softly.

Jungkook shook his head, noticing that the girl before him seemed cheerful and kind, with a bright smile still on her lips.

"Let's go. The boss will explain your job and responsibilities here," she said, walking towards the elevator and pressing the button. "And don't worry if he seems cold or emotionless. He only hires people he likes as employees," she reassured, her voice filled with enthusiasm.

The two entered the elevator, with the girl selecting the 16th floor where the CEO's office was located. As the elevator doors closed, they stood uncomfortably next to each other.

Jungkook's body was once again consumed by fear and anxiety, realizing that he was about to meet Taehyung, of all people. He nervously swallowed, and the girl observed his worried expression and trembling lips.

Concerned, she asked in a sweet and gentle voice- "Are you alright?" Her kindness surprised Jungkook and provided him with some comfort.

"Yeah, just feeling anxious," Jungkook replied briefly, feeling a sense of suffocation. The elevator's air was hot, causing him to feel nauseous.

With a sigh of relief, Jungkook hurriedly exited the elevator, taking deep breaths to calm himself before surveying his surroundings.

The narrow corridor was painted in white, with chairs and flower vases neatly arranged along the walls. At the end of the corridor, a large glass window displayed a perfect view of the outside.

"Let's go," she said with a smile, motioning for Jungkook to follow her. They headed toward a door located across from some seats.

Jungkook took a deep breath, urging himself to walk and position himself behind the girl. She opened the door and they saw her boss, Taehyung, engrossed in his paperwork.

Jungkook bit his lip, surprised by Taehyung's intense focus. It made him wonder if Taehyung was truly making an effort to change and live a normal life.

"Sir!" The girl greeted cheerfully as she entered. Taehyung lifted his gaze from the papers and looked at her, then shifted his attention to Jungkook.

Jungkook was certain he detected a hint of excitement in Taehyung's eyes when he glanced at him, causing his heart to flutter slightly.

"You may leave now, Jennie. I will explain his role here to him," Taehyung announced, getting up from his seat. The girl bowed before exiting and closing the door behind her.

Jungkook anxiously bit his bottom lip and fidgeted with the hem of his white shirt, avoiding Taehyung's piercing stare.

In a timid voice, Jungkook finally mustered the courage to ask- "Did you really stop killing because of me?" He glanced over at Taehyung, seeking confirmation.

Taehyung responded with a question of his own, "Do you have faith in me?"

Jungkook hesitated before answering honestly- "No."

Taehyung pondered for a moment before asking, "Then how can I convince you that I have truly changed and left my past actions behind?"