EPILOGUE | Chapter 72

Cash-Loaded Fleet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Justice cannot be bought with money, but evil can.

From theft to extortion, even to murder.

Professionals who are willing to do anything if the price is right exist in every country. By paying them, clients can achieve their goals without getting their own hands dirty. Supported by the intentions of Churchill and Stalin, these forces are coordinated by the Navy Ministry War Economics Research Group, sponsored or endorsed by British intelligence and the Soviet NKGB. Binta Satsutaba played a role as one of these sponsors.

The country of Japan, the setting of the event, is surrounded by the sea. Many Japanese people, taking the country's geographical isolation into account, were complacent, thinking that there would be no invasion from external enemies. Therefore, for spies from the rigorous underworld of Europe, who have competed in the shadows, arranging the details to eliminate targets in Japan was relatively easy. They received a list of individuals to eliminate from the Navy Ministry War Economics Research Group. The executioners were sometimes provided by the same team.

Assassination was deemed a necessary evil to achieve peace with the United States. Those loudly advocating for continued war, especially if they were within the military hierarchy, made it impossible to stop the war. Therefore, it was necessary for them to leave this world as soon as possible. On the other hand, Binta had another card up his sleeve.

He spread rumors.

"The deceased individuals, who apparently went against the wishes of the authorities praying for a swift end to the war, were assassinated by someone."

False information or baseless rumors can be spread by paying someone, and there are plenty of such people. Among them, Binta had reliable people spread the rumor of assassinations, mixing truth and falsehood, into the public. Furthermore, Binta was conducting operations in Germany, similar to defection efforts, to create an environment conducive to peace with the United States.

"The authorities who read Hitler's writings expressed discomfort regarding the parts related to the Japanese."

This was a collaboration between Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto of the Navy Ministry War Economics Research Group and Binta, and they staged a performance together with officials from the Japanese Ministry of the Imperial Household. Hitler's writings contained several sections that disparaged or insulted the Japanese. However, this matter did not become public and did not cause any issues. But if it offended the authorities, it would be a different story. This event was reported in the newspapers, and many Japanese, who held a strange pride as the only first-class nation in Asia, were furious.

What added to this was the news that the authorities expressed concerns about the Holocaust. The fact of persecution or genocide against innocent people sanctioned by the state. Japanese people, with their shallow sense of righteousness, upon learning this, had a complete reversal of feelings towards Germany.

Originally, such things should not have been reported in the newspapers. However, newspapers, despite claiming to uphold journalism, are essentially profit organizations. Justice and fairness are just a façade; they report what suits them and remain silent about inconvenient truths. Even when faced with inconvenient truths, if the money offered outweighs the drawbacks, they easily report it. In the end, it all depends on money. Of course, newspapers cannot openly defy government censorship. However, Admiral Yamamoto and other high-ranking Army officials, acting as comrades, manipulate things behind the scenes. Naturally, it was Binta who handed over a large sum of money to these newspapers. He also used his financial power to have media outlets other than newspapers write derogatory remarks about Germany.

On the other hand, among the Japanese population, pro-German and pro-continuation factions struggled as anti-German sentiments rapidly intensified. However, they couldn't make any decisive moves, as it was unpredictable when they might become targets of assassination. Especially those in high ranks remained indifferent, and when Prime Minister Hideki Tōjō was assassinated, their reluctance became even more apparent. So, during the negotiations for peace with the United States, when the dissolution of the Tripartite Pact was discussed, their movements remained extremely sluggish.

. . .

"Are you resigning from the Navy?"

Captain Sōkichi Takagi, who was on the verge of being promoted to rear admiral, asked with a hint of reluctance. Binta nodded slightly and expressed words of apology.

"I've burdened you with quite a dirty job, Takagi-san."

Binta bowed, but Takagi chuckled in return, asking him not to worry about it. Takagi was the one responsible for the assassination of Prime Minister Tōjō, and Binta, with Vice Admiral Shigeyoshi Inoue giving the orders and providing the funds, played a significant role.

"If it weren't for that, the negotiations for peace with the United States wouldn't have progressed. To make Yonai-san the prime minister, that job was necessary."

Although Binta's words were vague, he was referring to Tōjō's assassination. In this room, only Binta and Takagi were present, but there is a saying, 'walls have ears, and sliding doors have eyes.' It was better to be cautious.

Binta, having relinquished the rank of Special Mission Commander, decided to live as an ordinary citizen from now on. The negotiations for peace between Japan and the United States were still ongoing. However, the tide is definitely shifting towards a conclusion. The United States blamed President Roosevelt for everything, and in Japan, the pro-war faction was losing its influence, and the people were becoming weary of a war that had lasted for over two years. Above all, the most pressing issue is that the country cannot afford any more war. The fiscal deficit and the national debt have far exceeded dangerous levels. Continuing the war was simply not feasible.

"Oh, and to answer your earlier question, resigning from the Navy allows me to act freely without worrying about causing trouble for the organization. Freedom is still the best."

Binta responded to Takagi's earlier question, aware that there were many unresolved issues. Japan's economy is dominated by zaibatsu (business conglomerates), and as a result, the industrial sector was clearly lagging behind in modernization. The agricultural sector still retained a deplorable system reminiscent of slavery. There is a need for a change in the nation's structure or a shift in the consciousness of the people to fully utilize half of the population represented by women. Additionally, the military, having achieved victories against the United States, is becoming arrogant, and its authority is likely to swell even further. The existence of supreme command, which is the root cause of the military's uncontrollable behavior, is also a headache.

'Wouldn't it have been better for Japan to have lost the war?'

Binta couldn't help but chuckle at the sudden thought that welled up. After all, he, who had created a fleet using loads upon loads of cash, had decisively struck the side of the United States. What was he saying now?

THE END

Thank you for reading until the end.