Chapter 24 - Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet

On December 7, 1941, Japan declared war on the United States. This action was like ants challenging an elephant, a foolish endeavor. Not only the American people but also many of the US Navy personnel shared this sentiment. Even Admiral Husband Kimmel, the Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Fleet, was no exception.

However, when the truth was revealed, it was a shocking realization. On the first day of the war, the US air force in the Philippines suffered a heavy blow from the carrier-based aircraft launched by Japan's mobile task force. The strength of the Zero fighter was so overwhelming that even the mainstay of the US Army's fighter force, the P-40, could barely hold their own.

The unexpected developments weren't limited to aerial combat. On the second day of the war, the news of the sinking of the state-of-the-art battleship Prince of Wales and the battlecruiser Repulse in the waters off Malay by Japanese land-based attack aircraft came as a shock. In land battles, the Allied forces were being pushed back, with Guam falling on the first day of the war, and Hong Kong hanging by a thread.

Amidst this dire situation, Kimmel was filled with apprehension, but he was also tirelessly engaged in collecting and analyzing information. Perhaps, it was the only thing he could do at the moment.

"Japan's mobile task force that attacked the airbase in the Philippines has been confirmed to have six carriers. Furthermore, among them, two carriers can be identified from their distinctive ship types as Akagi and Kaga."

Nodding at Commander Edwin T. Layton's report as the intelligence staff, Kimmel began searching his mental database for information about Japanese carriers. The Japanese navy was known to have a total of nine carriers. Among them were the Akagi and Kaga, significant presences known as the "Big Four" alongside the Lexington and Saratoga. In addition, there were the medium-sized Sōryū and Hiryū, and the smaller Ryūjō and Hōshō. Furthermore, three ships, Zuihō, Shōhō, and Ryuhō, had been confirmed, but it was known that they were converted from special-purpose vessels, and detailed performance specifications were yet to be ascertained. If the reports were accurate, six of these carriers were currently wreaking havoc in the Philippines.

"As for the battleships, we have confirmed the presence of four Kongō-class battleships from Saigon to the waters off Malaysia. Moreover, auxiliary vessels such as cruisers and destroyers are also actively engaged, with over ten heavy cruisers alone."

The Japanese navy possessed a total of ten ships, combining the Nagato and Ise classes and the Fusō and Kongō classes. The Nagato-class were extremely powerful ships, equipped with eight 40 cm guns. The US Navy's Colorado-class also had eight 16-inch (40 cm) guns, but it was a vessel that forcibly mounted 16-inch guns on ships originally designed for 14-inch (36 cm) guns. Therefore, the US Navy considered the Nagato-class to be a step above the Colorado-class.

"In that case, we have eight battleships, while the enemy has six. As for carriers, it's three against three, but it doesn't include the larger ones like Akagi and Kaga."

Isn't it overwhelmingly in our favor? Kimmel was starting to think along those lines, but Layton didn't forget to issue a word of caution.

"There are two uncertain factors. One is the battleships and carriers being constructed as part of Japan's Circle 3 Plan."

Kimmel also did not neglect the study of the hypothetical enemy. He had already heard that Japan planned to equip two battleships and two carriers under the Circle 3 Plan.

"Do you believe, Commander, that the battleships and carriers from the Circle 3 Plan are already in service? However, especially when it comes to battleships and large carriers, I find it hard to believe that they would have been completed at this time. Also, considering the budget size of the Circle 3 Plan, the carriers should undoubtedly be large ones. Furthermore, even if they had completed those battleships and carriers, it should take a considerable training period to make these large vessels combat-ready. Considering all of these factors, I would say that the appearance of new battleships and carriers before us will likely not occur until at least the beginning of the new year."

While presenting his viewpoint, Kimmel was also considering whether he might be overly worried. However, Layton did not back down.

"The new Japanese battleships and carriers, as I mentioned earlier, are nothing more than uncertain elements. Clear information is still elusive. However, if that's the case, we should include this in our force estimation. It's better to overestimate the enemy than to underestimate them. It'll result in fewer casualties."

Regarding the assessment of the enemy, Kimmel had no choice but to agree with Layton. It was evident based on the results in cases where the enemy turned out to be stronger or weaker than anticipated. If the enemy was weaker than expected, the damage the American forces would suffer would also be less. Moreover, it seemed somewhat unnatural for the Japanese Navy to deploy four high-speed battleships and six carriers for the conquest of the South Pacific resource zones. The Pacific Fleet was facing an alarmingly low level of forces to prepare for such a contingency. However, no matter how much they speculated, it didn't lead to a resolution. Therefore, Kimmel urged Layton to explain the remaining uncertain factor.

"There is the existence of a person known as Mr. S. Rumor has it that he is providing extraordinary support to the Japanese Navy. In fact, it is believed that he is providing substantial financial aid, but the exact details are unknown. With a regular navy budget, we would need congressional approval, so we could somewhat speculate about its use. However, when it comes to personal donations, it's challenging to determine where and how the funds have been used."

Kimmel was also aware of Mr. S.

Binta Satsutaba.

He exploited the global economic crisis and plundered wealth from around the world. It was unclear how he accomplished it. However, in the realm of economic warfare, where they say he could outwit anyone, no one challenged him and survived, indicating that he was a dangerous character. And now, the man who was previously thought to be an ordinary citizen held the rank of Imperial Japanese Nav' Special Mission Commander.

"There are indeed many uncertainties surrounding Mr. S and the support he provides. I can understand your concerns to a certain extent. However, there are priorities to consider. Now is not the time to worry about such matters. What about the Saratoga?"

With these words, Kimmel gently reprimanded Layton and redirected the conversation.

"The Saratoga is getting ready to depart soon. Once that is completed, they will set sail as quickly as possible and head towards us."

Expressing satisfaction with Layton's response, Kimmel shifted his focus towards the decisive battle with the Combined Fleet. Currently, the Japanese Navy has directed six carriers and four high-speed battleships towards the conquest of the South Pacific resource zones. As the Pacific Fleet, they had to force a decisive battle against the Combined Fleet while these carriers and battleships were in the southern theater of operations. If all six carriers and four battleships joined the Combined Fleet, the disadvantage of the Pacific Fleet would become decisive.

'Conversely, the Japanese Navy is in a situation where they are particularly cautioned against dispersing their forces. If they are going to act, it has to be now.'

While raising his fighting spirit within, Kimmel made the decision to send out the full strength of the Pacific Fleet as soon as the Saratoga joined. It was the moment when the bell for the decisive battle between the Japanese and American fleets across the Pacific had rung.