Chapter 9 - New Weapons Also Depend on Money

"Regarding personnel, would it be possible to conduct research and development of guided weapons at the Naval Technical Research Institute? We will provide the necessary funding for this."

The term 'guided weapons' was unfamiliar to the Minister of the Navy, who inquired about what it meant to Binta.

"It refers to bombs or torpedoes that use heat, sound, infrared, or radio waves to track targets. Unlike conventional free-falling bombs or torpedoes that move in a straight line, these weapons autonomously track their targets, significantly improving their accuracy."

Saying this, Binta handed a prepared notebook to the Minister of Defense. Inside were simple explanations and illustrations showing winged bombs dropped from airplanes sinking battleships or guided projectiles launched from battleships shooting down enemy aircraft.

"So, these are essentially bombs or projectiles with the ability to identify and track targets. I can understand the concept, but it seems like quite a technological challenge in the context of contemporary science and technology, though perhaps feasible in the future," the Minister commented while flipping through the notebook. However, his hand paused on a certain page.

On that page, there was a description of remotely controlling a bomb dropped from an airplane to collide with the target using wireless remote-control technology. Wireless remote control was a commonplace technology in the military world. The British Army had successfully achieved wireless remote-controlled flight of aircraft over a decade ago, and a few years later, the US Navy had operational target ships equipped with the same technology. However, Binta's approach differed significantly, as he intended to directly control the bomb itself, not the aircraft or ship delivering it.

"Unlike horizontal bombing where you just drop the bomb, here, a human operator controls the bomb via wireless communication right up to the moment of impact, greatly enhancing accuracy. However, it does require a highly reliable and compact transceiver."

Even if the technology was considered mature, maintaining its reliability while making it compact and lightweight was challenging. This was especially true in Japan, which lagged behind Western countries in terms of scientific capabilities. The Minister of the Navy was well aware of these challenges.

"You're absolutely right, Minister. Nevertheless, at this point, there's no doubt that this guided bomb is the most feasible option. However, with this approach, the aircraft that drops the bomb must remain in the vicinity of the target ship until the bomb hits. If it's a single or a couple of ships, it's manageable, but if you attempt this over a large fleet, it's highly vulnerable to anti-aircraft fire. That's where the main focus should be on guided jet-propelled bombs," Binta continued, urging the Minister to turn to the next page.

As instructed, the Minister of the Navy turned the page, revealing an illustration and explanation of a long, slender bomb with wings that would be launched from an aircraft.

"You're planning to use radio-controlled, rocket-propelled winged bombs to hit the target, right? In that case, besides the transceiver, we'll need to address the issue of rocket engines as well. Additionally, the weight will inevitably increase, making the challenge of compact lightweight design even more demanding."

The idea is brilliant, but immediate realization is difficult. The Minister of the Navy's attitude fell within Binta's expectations.

"The Army on the continent may be engaged in combat, but the Navy isn't currently in a state of war. There's no rush to complete these projects within a year or two. Guided weapons are long-term endeavors. The budget for development is something we can provide without limits. However, the real issue lies in personnel. We need talented and trustworthy individuals who can strictly adhere to confidentiality, and have the dedication and a sense of mission," Binta expressed his concern, but the Minister pondered about it.

The reality of the Japanese research scene is that most of them are motivated but lack the resources to get ahead. In fact, a major obstacle to the development of technology in Japan is the lack of funds for research and development. Of course, there is also the problem of a thin layer of researchers, but if one is willing to look, one can find any number of excellent human resources. And if the budget for the research were a ceiling, many would come forward.

"The selection of these skilled personnel falls under the jurisdiction of the Navy. We'll coordinate with the personnel at the Naval Technical Research Institute to move forward," the Minister of the Navy assured.

Binta had concerns about recruiting researchers, but he found solace in the fact that the situation might turn out better than expected.

"The Imperial Navy, like other major powers, is likely researching dive bombing. However, just like the non-powered radio-guided bombs I mentioned earlier, this approach requires transitioning over enemy ships, exposing the aircraft to anti-aircraft fire. In other words, dive bombing offers high accuracy at the cost of high risk. However, no matter how many lives we have, it won't be enough. Depending on the enemy's anti-air capabilities, the crew could be wiped out in an instant. Of course, I don't have the authority to stop research and development. Still, if we're going to pursue dive bombing, it should be conducted with well-armored aircraft."

Despite the connotations associated with its name, dive bombing, which required a pull-up at low altitude, was a high-risk tactic involving slow, low-level flight using dive brakes to approach within a few hundred meters of enemy ships before releasing the bomb. The Imperial Navy's aviation leadership was aware of the dangers, but the prevailing mindset in the Imperial Navy often prioritized achieving results over crew safety and even lives. The Minister of Defense, acknowledging Binta's point, knew well of this detrimental mindset or culture in the Imperial Navy. Nevertheless, with the merit of Binta's argument, they should actively consider his proposals.

"I understand your point about dive bombing. I'll use my authority to request the relevant departments to enhance the armor of the aircraft."

Having obtained the commitment from the Minister of the Navy, Binta smiled, concluding the discussion with financial matters.

"In that case, I'll provide the research funds for enhancing the armor and the associated expenses. So, please make sure to equip not only dive bombers but also fighters and attack aircraft with enhanced armor," Binta paused for a moment. "However, with this alone, the widespread adoption of armored protection may not progress as expected. How about this? For aircraft that are equipped with enhanced armor, whether they are airplanes or flying boats, we'll cover half of the acquisition costs from our side."