Chapter 28 - Slaughter Interception

While not as sophisticated as the British military, the Imperial Japanese Navy had implemented air traffic control as of December 16, 1941.

The catalyst for this was the development of guidance weapons being carried out at the Naval Technical Research Institute. Various tracking methods were being tested, including radio waves, infrared, heat, and sound. Among these, a certain developer was working on a self-propelled guided bomb that emitted radio waves and detected their reflections, autonomously guiding itself toward them. This was an extremely challenging endeavor given the technology level at the time, and there was little hope of completion. Nonetheless, the financial supporter, Binta Satsutaba, continued to provide ample research funding without displaying any signs of disappointment.

In this context, the developer came up with the idea to repurpose this technology as a detection device. If a device could display the reflected waves, it could provide information about the direction and distance of the target. The developer presented their idea to other researchers and gathered their feedback. However, the response from those around them was not favorable, as they saw the idea of emitting radio waves as being like a lantern in the darkness.

The turning point came when the Imperial Japanese Navy suffered a significant defeat on the continent. In October 1939, the Hankow airfield was subjected to two air raids by Tupolev SB bombers. These attacks resulted in the destruction of dozens of aircraft on the ground, and many soldiers and officers were either killed or injured. While there was some complacency on the Japanese side, the primary cause was the lack of detection equipment that could identify the enemy early. This incident marked the beginning of accelerated research on detection equipment utilizing radio waves. Furthermore, the integration of this detection equipment with interception aircraft became a strategic concept that eventually bore fruit in the form of air traffic control.

. . .

The 2nd Air Fleet consisted of the Hiryū and Sōryū, and three Unryū-class aircraft carriers each possessed one squadron. The 3rd Air Fleet's four Shōkaku-class aircraft carriers each had two squadrons, for a total of thirteen squadrons, with 117 Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighters responsible for fleet air defense. Among these Zero fighters, all of those from the 2nd Air Fleet and half of those from the 3rd Air Fleet were patrolling the skies, while the remaining half were on standby. The reason for the larger number of Zero fighters in the 3rd Air Fleet was its positioning as the vanguard of the 2nd Fleet. Alternatively, it could be said that they deployed the relatively well-defended Shōkaku-class carriers to be targeted first.

As the radar detected the formation of American carrier-based aircraft, the Zero fighters patrolling above received instructions from the control officer and began their attack toward the eastern skies. Subsequently, the Zero fighters on standby leaped off the flight deck one after another to join the action.

The first contact with the American planes was made by the Zero fighter squadrons patrolling above, as they directed their attention toward the incoming torpedo bombers flying at low altitudes.

The primary targets were the TBD Devastators. To protect the TBDs, there were three escort fighter squadrons: the Enterprise and Saratoga fighter squadrons, each consisting of nine F4F Wildcats, and the Lexington fighter squadron with nine F2A Buffalos. These fighter squadrons stood in the way of the Zero fighters. Before their sortie, Admiral Halsey had instructed these three escort fighter squadrons to prioritize the protection of torpedo bombers over dive bombers. This decision was due to the fact that the TBD, being an older aircraft and carrying heavy torpedoes, was much slower and less maneuverable compared to the newer and more agile SBD Dauntless dive bombers.

The Shōkaku, Kamikaku, and Amakaku fighter squadrons each engaged the Enterprise, Saratoga, and Lexington fighter squadrons, respectively, forming an intercept line. The crew members of these escort fighter squadrons were experienced veterans with excellent single-plane navigation skills, so the Zero fighter squadrons could not afford to be complacent.

The only Zuikaku fighter squadron, which received an unwelcome reception, moved to the rear or side of the Lexington torpedo bomber squadrons without resistance, firing 20 mm and 7, 7 mm bullets to wreak havoc. On the other hand, the TBDs desperately attempted to escape, maneuvering and firing their defensive machine guns. However, despite their sleek low-wing monoplane design, the TBD's top speed was only around 330 kilometers per hour. With a speed difference of over 200 kilometers per hour between them and the attackers, escape was nearly impossible.

By the time the Lexington torpedo squadron raised their desperate cries, a massacre in the skies had already begun. Forty-five Zero fighters launched by the 2nd Air Fleet initiated an interception battle against the SBDs. The Hiryū fighters attacked the Saratoga dive bombers, the Sōryū fighters targeted the Lexington scout bombers, the Unryū fighter squadron went after the Enterprise bomber squadron, the Hakuryū fighter squadron assaulted the Saratoga bomber squadron, and the Sekiryū fighter squadron struck the Lexington scout bomber squadron. There were no F4F or F2A escort fighters around the dive bombers. All of them were in a fierce dogfight with the Zero fighters at low altitudes. On the other hand, the Zero fighters attacked the SBDs with a frenzy, showering bullets as if it were a long-overdue laundry day.

Bombers without the protection of escort fighters were vulnerable. Initially, the SBDs, which should have had a numerical advantage of twice the number of Zero fighters, quickly saw their advantage reduced to one and a half times, and eventually, it became an equal number. In this situation, the SBD crew members faced an ultimate decision. They could either jettison their bombs and escape to increase their maneuverability, or they could continue their attack as ordered, fully aware of the recklessness. Many chose the former option. If they survived, they could regroup and fight another day. It was a rational decision, but their adversary was formidable. The SBD, believed to be operable as a quasi-fighter if the bombs were dropped, couldn't match the speed and maneuverability of the Zero fighter. One by one, SBDs were picked off like teeth from a comb.

Meanwhile, the Enterprise and Saratoga torpedo bomber squadrons, unnoticed by the Zero fighters, continued their advance and finally spotted the Japanese fleet below. However, at the same time, they witnessed the scythes of death descending from above. There were thirty-six Zero fighters that had been on standby on the flight decks of the four Shōkaku-class carriers once the American attack was detected.

It was impossible for the TBDs to outmaneuver the same number of Zero fighters. The crew members of the Enterprise and Saratoga torpedo squadrons made a split-second decision to jettison their torpedoes and retreat, attempting to outrun the Zeros. However, the Zero fighters were relentless. They pursued the hapless TBDs, firing 20 mm and 7,7 mm bullets with a nonchalance resembling a training exercise. There was no escape from the clutches of the Zero fighters for the TBDs.