Chapter 42 - Task Force 11

The 144 Zero fighters that sortied from the 1st Air Fleet overcame American fighters such as P-40 and F4F on Oahu, drastically weakening the island's air defense capabilities. The 2nd and 3rd Fleets each attacked the Pacific Fleet in two waves. In addition to sinking all aircraft carriers, they also defeated numerous escort vessels. Furthermore, the 234 Zero fighters tasked with fleet air defense engaged and defeated a large number of incoming land-based and carrier-based aircraft. This is the story of the first day of the battle, which occurred on February 14.

The Combined Fleet, which had almost secured air superiority over the relevant area in just one day, then dispersed its forces. The 1st and 2nd Air Fleets targeted airfields and artillery positions on Oahu, while the 3rd Air Fleet pursued the remaining ships of the US mobile task force, known as the "mop-up operation."

The First Fleet pursued the surface strike force designated as B-2. It will deliver the coup de grâce to the two new battleships that suffered heavy damage from the second attack by the 3rd Air Fleet. If the latest battleships, and especially two of them, were to be sunk simultaneously, it would have a significant impact on the American people.

To support the First Fleet, the 1st and 2nd Air Fleets launched a fierce bombing campaign on Oahu. This was to eliminate the most significant hindrances, namely aircraft and coastal artillery emplacements. Half of the Type 0 attackers targeted airfields, while the remaining half struck the coastal artillery positions commonly referred to as the fortress of Hawaii. Although the coastal artillery positions on Oahu were impervious to even battleships' approach, they proved surprisingly vulnerable to attacks from above, and many of them were neutralized by the bombings.

In the absence of threats from the air and land, there was still an obstacle in the path of the advancing First Fleet in the form of Task Force 11 led by six battleships. Admiral Robert L. Ghormley, the commander of TF 11, was contemplating the Japanese First Fleet from the bridge of his flagship, the Colorado. Like their counterparts, the First Fleet had six battleships as their main force. Among these battleships, two had twin-gun turrets both fore and aft, and their slightly larger size confirmed that they were the Nagato and Mutsu. As for the remaining four ships, they were determined to be of the Kongō-class based on their unique turret arrangement.

However, there was confusion regarding the Kongō-class battleships due to their simultaneous presence in the South Pacific and the Marshall Islands during the same period. Nevertheless, the Japanese Navy had no other ships with two twin-gun turrets at the bow and one at the center and stern. People tend to believe what they see with their own eyes rather than hearsay from others, and Ghormley and his staff were no exception.

The silhouette of the First Fleet gradually becomes more prominent. Ghormley has no intention of retreating. If they were to flee, the First Fleet would catch up with Task Force 12, which is attempting to retreat to the east, and likely overrun them. Alternatively, they might redirect their focus towards Pearl Harbor and conduct naval gunfire. Given the severe depletion of the airbase and artillery forces on Oahu, the current situation leaves no choice but to rely on the heavily battered friendly fleet and TF 11 to defend Pearl Harbor.

As the First Fleet approached in a T formation, they turned their bows in the same direction as their fleet to set a parallel course. It appeared they were challenging a head-on engagement.

'Are they underestimating us?' Ghormley murmured softly to himself.

The First Fleet is equipped with sixteen 40 cm guns and thirty-two 36 cm guns. On the other hand, the Americans have eight 40 cm guns and fifty-six 36 cm guns. The 40 cm guns may put them at a disadvantage, but the superior number of 36 cm guns compensated for that difference. Furthermore, among the fifty-six 36 cm guns, 36 of them are the long-barreled type with excellent penetration power. So their advantage was overwhelming. Certainly, the Japanese side controls the air superiority, but it's not a factor that can outweigh the difference in artillery firepower.

"Designating targets. Colorado to the enemy in the lead, New Mexico to the second, Mississippi to the third, Idaho to the fourth, Texas to the fifth, New York to the sixth. Commence artillery fire at 25.000 yards. Cruisers and destroyers, prevent the enemy's auxiliary vessels from making an assault."

While instructing each ship on their targets, Ghormley mentally simulated the upcoming battle.

Regarding the battleships, it will likely be a tough battle for Colorado and New Mexico. Both were originally battleships with 36 cm guns, and Colorado had 40 cm guns forcefully installed on a hull designed for 36 cm guns. New Mexico is equipped with 12 long-barreled 36 cm guns specifically designed to defend against 36 cm gun projectiles. As a result, they must be prepared to have their armor pierced with a considerable probability if hit by the 40 cm shells from Nagato or Mutsu.

To prevent this from happening, the key is to hit the enemy with shells first and quickly neutralize them. However, due to the loss of air superiority, they cannot use observation planes. Therefore, Japan has an advantage in long-range firing.

However, there is no hint of pessimism in Ghormley's expression. This is because the remaining four ships are at a clear advantage. Japan's Kongō-class battleships have only eight 36 cm guns, which is significantly less than the New Mexico-class battleships with 12 guns or the New York-class battleships with 10 guns. But what's even more significant is the difference in their defensive capabilities. The Kongō-class battleships, originally battlecruisers, have significant issues with their defense. So if Mississippi, Idaho, Texas, and New York can swiftly deal with the Kongō-class battleships while Colorado and New Mexico keep Nagato and Mutsu at bay, their victory will be decisive.

On the other hand, auxiliary vessels such as cruisers and destroyers are undoubtedly at a disadvantage compared to the Japanese. The number of destroyers is the same, so there's no need to worry about that. The problem lies with the cruisers. While Japan has seven cruisers, we only have a mere four. Furthermore, all of them are the outdated Omaha-class light cruisers.

At the beginning of the war, the US Navy had a significant number of powerful 10.000-ton cruisers, including heavy cruisers and the Brooklyn-class and St. Louis-class light cruisers. However, nearly half of them were sunk in the Battle of the Marshall Islands, and most of the remaining ships were assigned to escort valuable assets such as aircraft carriers or new battleships. Prioritizing 10.000-ton cruisers for escorting valuable assets like aircraft carriers and new battleships left the outdated Omaha-class light cruisers as the only choice for TF 11, which was centered around outdated battleships.

Therefore, Ghormley had no intention of overextending his cruisers and destroyers. If the enemy's cruisers and destroyers approached their battleships, driving them away would be sufficient. As Ghormley considered this, the sound of enemy ships opening fire reached his ears.

The artillery battle between the US and Japanese battleships had begun.