Chapter 64 - Pursuing Force

The Zero fighters' actions annihilated the Oahu base air force. As a result, reconnaissance in the surrounding waters of the island became possible. The Combined Fleet seized this opportunity and dispatched a total of 20 Type 3 reconnaissance planes in two waves from four carrier task forces. Unlike traditional visual reconnaissance, these Type 3s, utilizing radar, easily detected the American carrier and surface strike forces. Furthermore, they successfully grasped the rough composition of their forces.

The discovered American carrier task force consisted of three groups, each centered around four aircraft carriers of varying sizes. On the other hand, the surface strike force was a single group but comprised a powerful fleet, including six new battleships. Its strength could be equal to or even surpass the First Fleet.

"Do we understand the enemy's movements?"

"Regarding the Pacific Fleet, the carrier task force is turning its bow to the east. It seems they are attempting to retreat, likely due to the failure of the high-stakes air attack on Oahu. Additionally, the surface strike that was cruising northwest of Oahu is taking a course behind the carriers. Perhaps it's a precaution against our own battleships pursuing them."

Vice Admiral Ozawa, who commanded the overall fleet and led the 1st Air Fleet, probably anticipated this question and the air staff officer responded promptly without any hesitation. Satisfied with the concise report, Ozawa immediately issued orders.

"From now on, we will transition to a pursuit battle with the Pacific Fleet. Each aircraft carrier will leave one squadron of fighter planes for direct cover, and the rest will be directed to attack the enemy ships. The second attack group will consist of only fighter planes, similar to the first attack group, and the third attack group will be primarily composed of Tenzan."

The bombers from Oahu and the American carrier task force's dive bombers and torpedo bombers were mostly dealt with. However, not all aircraft were destroyed, and the enemy carriers likely still had a considerable number of fighter planes. Unlike in the past, modern fighter planes have a large bomb-carrying capacity. Therefore, it was a reasonable measure to leave a certain number of Zeros for direct cover against such enemies.

"Also, detach the ships of the Second Fleet escorting each carrier. They should return to their original missions."

All Air Fleets had battleships, cruisers, and destroyers temporarily assigned to them for unexpected encounters with enemy surface strike vessels. However, now that the positions of the enemy surface strike vessels were clear, the necessity for them to accompany the carriers diminished. If that's the case, it was rational to release them from the role of guarding the aircraft carriers and allow them to demonstrate their true abilities. Changing their role from watchdogs to hunting dogs.

"Do we know the number of available Zeros?"

Before the fighting, the 1st and 2nd Air Fleets each had 192 Zeros, while the 3rd and 4th Air Fleets each had 216 Zeros, totaling 816 Zeros.

"651 Zero fighters are ready for immediate use. In addition, there are about 100 planes that can be used with repairs."

In the aerial battles around Oahu and the interception battles to protect the Combined Fleet, the Zeros gained the upper hand in both by using the Type I Mk. 1B rockets. However, they were not unscathed, and their operational rate had now fallen below 80 percent.

"What is the estimated remaining strength of the enemy's fighter force?"

In response to Ozawa's concise question, the air staff officer took a moment to think before responding.

"If we assume that the total number of American carrier-based aircraft is 800, we shot down and destroyed nearly 500 in interception battles. Therefore, at this point, the American carriers are estimated to have about 300 usable aircraft. And since not all of them are fighter planes, there could be at most 250, or at least 200."

Ozawa mentally calculated based on the air staff officer's estimation. Leaving one squadron for aerial cover on each carrier, which amounted to 240 planes for 20 carriers. Additionally, for the escort of the third attack group's Tenzan, about 80 planes were needed. This left 331 planes that could be assigned to the second attack group, a sufficient number to sweep the enemy's fighter planes.

"As for the escort of the third attack group's Tenzan, each carrier will deploy one squadron of Zeros for cover. The remaining Zeros will be integrated into the second attack group. The Zeros will be equipped with rockets, and the Tenzan attackers will be equipped with radio-guided bombs."

Understanding Ozawa's intention, the air staff officer repeated the orders and hurried to the communication room with the communication staff to relay the orders to each ship.

Having watched them leave, Ozawa turned to the gunnery staff officer. Originally, the position of gunnery staff officer was not designated for aircraft carriers. However, it was placed in the 1st Air Fleet led by Ozawa, as it was anticipated that cases might arise where Ozawa, in overall command, would issue orders to the surface strike forces, such as the First Fleet and the Second Fleet.

"In the event of engaging the enemy's surface strike force in gun and torpedo combat, is it possible for the First Fleet alone to win?"

If one believed the reports from the reconnaissance planes, the American surface strike force had six battleships as their main force, all of which were reported to be new classes. In fact, the Imperial Navy had sunk all old battleships in previous battles, except for the Arkansas. Therefore, the possibility of misidentifying new and old types was unlikely. If they were battleships, they were all likely to be new types.

On the other hand, the First Fleet boasted eight battleships, surpassing their American counterpart. However, only the Yamato and Musashi were new ships, while the remaining six were old battleships. Although they had numerical superiority, it was clear that they were inferior in quality.

"In terms of possibility, I can say it's possible. However, if fleets with nearly equal strength engage head-on, even if we win, the casualties on our side are expected to be quite severe."

To win was possible, but the cost would be significant. In response to the honest and straightforward words of the gunnery staff officer, Ozawa chuckled and inquired if there were any alternative plans.

"I have two proposals. One is to change the attack target of one of our four mobile task forces from the carriers to the battleships. The other is to assign the Second Fleet to support the First Fleet."

Initially, Ozawa's plan was to have the First Fleet restrain the American surface strike force, while the Second Fleet would use its speed to pursue and engage the carriers. Since the start of the war, the Combined Fleet had sunk numerous battleships, including both new and old types, as well as a significant number of US Navy surface strike vessels. Therefore, even if the Pacific Fleet had recovered its strength, it was believed that it wouldn't match the firepower of the First Fleet at this point. However, the American surface strike force proved unexpectedly powerful. Despite this, Ozawa still wanted to proceed as originally planned as much as possible. Flexibility was essential, but a single mistake could lead to a disaster. Unnecessary confusion should be eliminated as much as possible.

There was only a brief moment of hesitation. Admiral Ozawa voiced his conclusion.

"As for the third attack group, one of our four carrier task forces will be assigned to attack the American surface strike force. The Second Fleet will proceed as initially planned to pursue and annihilate the enemy carriers."