Chapter 50 - Seek Life in the Midst of Death

When Admiral Pound received the report that the Combined Fleet had passed through the Mediterranean and entered the Atlantic, he finally realized that the inevitable had come. Nearly six months ago, Prime Minister Churchill, fully aware that his position was deteriorating, made the decision to withdraw the Eastern Fleet from the Indian Ocean. Furthermore, he did the same with the Mediterranean, ceding it to the Axis powers. As a result, the Combined Fleet invaded as planned, through the Mediterranean route. If they had chosen to detour around the Cape of Good Hope and approach from the south of the Atlantic, capturing them would have been exceedingly difficult. Of course, the withdrawal from the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean is recognized among the public as a major blunder on Churchill's part. As a result, his approval rating fell even further below the dangerous threshold. However, thanks to this series of measures, the Royal Navy managed to consolidate its forces without losing fleets in vain. Most importantly, they were now able to face a decisive battle with the Combined Fleet without missing the opportunity.

Force Z

- Illustrious (48 × Martlets, 6 × Albacores)

- Victorious (48 × Martlets, 6 × Albacores)

- Battleships King George V, Duke of York

- Battlecruiser Renown

- 2 heavy cruisers, 4 light cruisers, 16 destroyers

Force Y

- Indomitable (48 × Martlets, 6 × Albacores)

- Formidable (48 × Martlets, 6 × Albacores)

- Battleships Nelson, Rodney, Warspite, Malaya

- 2 heavy cruisers, 4 light cruisers, 16 destroyers

Force X

- Furious (24 × Martlets, 6 × Albacores)

- Eagle (24 × Martlets, 6 × Albacores)

- Hermes (12 × Martlets, 6 × Albacores)

- Battleships Ramillies, Revenge, Resolution, Royal Sovereign

- 2 heavy cruisers, 4 light cruisers, 16 destroyers

The main fleet consisted of 7 aircraft carriers, 10 battleships, and a battlecruiser. Supporting vessels included 6 heavy cruisers, 12 light cruisers, and 48 destroyers. The Royal Navy possessed a considerable number of cruisers and destroyers besides these. However, they cannot afford to leave the vital Atlantic sea lanes connecting the United Kingdom and the United States exposed. Cutting off this lifeline would leave Britain with no alternative. Therefore, for this operation, the older cruisers and destroyers continued their traditional role of escorting merchant ships, while the newer ones were allocated to the fleet for the decisive battle.

It was a formidable force totaling 84 ships in all. However, the cornerstone of modern naval warfare, the aircraft carrier, was represented by a mere seven ships. This was less than half the number of carriers held by the Combined Fleet. Engaging in a direct naval air battle would inevitably lead to defeat. Therefore, the Royal Navy abandoned offense and committed its resources to defense. With the exception of reconnaissance and anti-submarine patrol aircraft, all available aircraft were dedicated to combat.

Still, British carriers carried fewer aircraft compared to their Japanese counterparts. To compensate for this disadvantage, they have increased the number of open-deck, unenclosed aircraft, even though it restricts flight deck operations.

For their fighter aircraft, they have chosen American-made Martlets instead of domestically produced Sea Hurricanes or Seafires. In terms of pure fighter capabilities, the Seafire is the best among these. However, Seafires have a narrow landing gear stance, making landings difficult. Furthermore, it was anticipated that the Royal Air Force would be reluctant to provide the Seafire's base aircraft, the Spitfire, to the Navy. Therefore, the Royal Navy opted for the Martlet as the next best option. The Martlet, being a naval aircraft, is noticeably easier to take off and land compared to the Sea Hurricane and Seafire. Moreover, being of American make, it boasts high mechanical reliability, easy maintenance, and a high operational rate.

Among the seven aircraft carriers distributed across three fleets, four of them were new. These new aircraft carriers were all armored carriers with excellent anti-damage capabilities. An armored carrier with a steel-plated flight deck can withstand 500-pound class bombs dropped by Type 0 attackers. Nevertheless, Admiral Pound believed that none of the seven carriers would survive. So far, the Combined Fleet has consistently targeted the aircraft carriers first. Likely, they will continue this approach in the current situation. In the face of the fierce attacks from the Japanese carrier-based aircraft, even the armored carriers may not withstand the assault.

However, this is already factored in. In blunt terms, the aircraft carriers are decoys meant to absorb Japan's aerial attacks. The seven carriers are sacrificial lambs offered to the Combined Fleet, keeping them preoccupied while surface combat vessels close in. If they engage in a gun and torpedo battle, a favorable opportunity should surely arise.

The battleships will play a leading role in this gun and torpedo battle. The Royal Navy currently possesses thirteen battleships. However, the Anson had been in service for a relatively short time and had not completed its familiarization training. Queen Elizabeth and Valiant were both under repair and were unable to participate.

On the other hand, the ten battleships that will be deployed against the Combined Fleet were divided into four classes, which creates a bit of a patchwork feel. Among the new ones, only the King George V and the Duke of York were equipped with ten 36 cm guns each. Nelson and Rodney, though older, were formidable vessels with nine 40 cm guns each, capable of holding their own against Japan's Nagato and Mutsu. The remaining six were of the Queen Elizabeth or Revenge classes, each armed with eight 38 cm guns. These six ships may have a slight disadvantage against new battleships or Nagato-class battleships, but they should be more than a match for other Japanese battleships.

The Royal Navy will utilize these vessels to challenge the Combined Fleet to a decisive battle. The tactic is straightforward. The aircraft carrier fighter squadrons will do their utmost to reduce the enemy's carrier-based aircraft strength. Nevertheless, any enemy aircraft missed will be lured into attacking friendly carriers acting as bait. During this time, the surface combat vessels will close the gap with the Combined Fleet and engage in a gun and torpedo battle. Forces X and Y will engage any enemy surface strike forces that attempt to thwart them. In the meantime, Force Z will race to confront the enemy mobile task force and annihilate it.

However, it's easier said than done. Especially Force Z, which will be diving deep into the enemy's bosom, may find survival extremely challenging. That's why Admiral Pound will personally lead Force Z, leading from the front, embodying the concept of "Noblesse Oblige." On the other hand, Force Y will be led by Admiral Andrew Cunningham, and Force X will be commanded by the seasoned Admiral James Somerville.

Reconnaissance aircraft were already out. The Combined Fleet was probably doing the same thing. They must be thinking, "When we exit the Mediterranean, the British fleet will come for us." And they wouldn't be wrong.

Both sides know each other's moves. A collision is inevitable.