Chapter 67 - Japanese and American Battleships

Due to the fierce attack of the Japanese carrier-based planes, Task Group 58.7 lost its two fast battleships, New Jersey and Iowa, which were the main force. Along with them, three destroyers were also lost. In contrast to the three destroyers that were easily sunk by Japanese rocket attacks, New Jersey and Iowa showed no signs of sinking whatsoever. However, much of the superstructure in the central part of the ships had burned down, and the damage extended to the engines and hull. Metal becomes brittle when exposed to high heat for an extended period. While they were not sunk, both New Jersey and Iowa suffered from deteriorated structural steel, and their life as ships had already come to an end.

Still, Admiral Lee, commanding TG 58.7, had not lost hope. Deciding to scuttle New Jersey and Iowa and designating the new flagship as the South Dakota, he intended to engage the Japanese First Fleet in another battle. Although the battleship numbers were uneven, with four against eight, only the Yamato and Musashi among the Japanese battleships were of a new type. If these two could be eliminated early on, victory was quite achievable. Above all, in the Battle of Tsushima, the Combined Fleet's four battleships trounced the eight battleships of the Russian Baltic Fleet. The Imperial Japanese Navy could do it, and there was no reason the US Navy couldn't.

Additionally, Admiral Lee had political reasons he couldn't ignore. Firstly, President Roosevelt had sternly ordered the absolute defense of Oahu. Secondly, if TG 58.7 withdrew from the defense of Oahu while the carrier task force was already retreating, it would not only displease the Army and Marines defending the island but also risk alienating the people of Hawaii and the entire nation.

'We still have means to fight.'

Admiral Lee planned for the South Dakota, Indiana, Massachusetts, and Alabama to double-team and neutralize the Yamato and Musashi with their eighteen 40 cm guns early on. If successful, it would be a battle of four new ships against six old ones, greatly improving the odds of victory.

'Even though we lost three destroyers, our auxiliary vessels have a slight advantage.'

TG 58.7 had six cruisers, including two new Baltimore-class heavy cruisers. These cruisers, compared to conventional treaty heavy cruisers, had a larger displacement, enhanced defense, and could operate SHS, with their shell weight being more than twenty percent heavier than those of other countries. The remaining four cruisers were the state-of-the-art Cleveland-class light cruisers, capable of holding their own in a battle against typical 10,000-ton cruisers. On the other hand, the First Fleet had only five cruisers, aged treaty heavy cruisers or destroyer flotilla leaders that were insufficient for engaging in a gunnery duel with Baltimore-class or Cleveland-class cruisers. Considering these disparities in firepower, the numerical disadvantage of destroyers seemed like a minor issue.

'We have a good chance to win.'

Admiral Lee encouraged himself in his heart. With the radar-guided firing technique he had honed so far, he was going to give the Japanese a good whack or two.

On the other hand, as the clash with TG 58.7 approached, the First Fleet had made a slight adjustment to its formation. Among the eight battleships, Yamashiro and Fusō were temporarily assigned to the command of the 4th Cruiser Division. This was a measure taken due to the absence of two fast battleships from the American surface strike force. Although the First Fleet had a superiority in battleships and destroyers, the cruisers were at a disadvantage. To overcome this disadvantage, Yamashiro and Fusō, along with the 4th Cruiser Division's Takao-class heavy cruisers, were assigned the task of annihilating enemy cruisers.

"Well, even if eight against four becomes six against four, it's not much to talk about," said Vice Admiral Kakuji Kakuta, the Commander-in-Chief of the First Fleet, with a fierce smile.

Kakuta had only been promoted to Vice Admiral at the end of the previous year. Originally, a senior officer on the brink of promotion to Admiral was supposed to take this position. However, in the modern era where aircraft carriers were considered the main force, the weight of the post of Commander-in-Chief of the First Fleet had relatively diminished. Moreover, under the overall command of Ozawa for one or two terms, the Personnel Bureau judged that there was no one more suitable than Kakuta to lead the First Fleet.

No one raised objections to Kakuta's decision to allocate two of the eight battleships to the attack on enemy cruisers. Perhaps, if the two presumed Iowa-class fast battleships were still active, there might have been objections. However, the whereabouts of those two ships were nowhere to be found now.

"Very soon, sir," Chief of Staff Takayanagi reported briefly. Kakuta gave a small nod.

In fact, the First Fleet had already advanced to a position where it could detect TG 58.7 before sunrise. However, at night, it could be said that the US Navy, with its high-performance radar, had the upper hand. The Imperial Japanese Navy had once focused on improving night battle tactics and made it their specialty, but that was now a thing of the past.

Moreover, when the sun rose, friendly carrier task forces would provide a Zero fighter umbrella over the First Fleet. In that case, the safety of observation planes would dramatically increase. Considering these factors, Kakuta waited for the dawn. And soon, the assault would begin.

Already, the First Fleet had transitioned to formations based on their respective roles. The battleship force responsible for the destruction of the enemy's main force had the flagship Yamato at the forefront, followed by Musashi, Nagato, and Mutsu of the same 1st Battleship Division, and Ise and Hyūga of the 2nd Battleship Division as the rearguard. The 4th Cruiser Division, tasked with engaging enemy cruisers, had the flagship Atago at the forefront, followed by sister ships Takao and Maya, and behind them, the supporting presence of Yamashiro and Fusō. On the other hand, led by light cruiser Agano, the 1st Destroyer Squadron was not actively attacking the enemy. Their primary mission was to prevent enemy destroyers from approaching the fleet's battleships.

A total of 52 warships from Japan and the United States were about to clash off the coast of Oahu. It would be remembered as the last gun battle fought between battleships. The gong for that battle was about to be struck.