Chapter 12 - Money and Oil

If one were to take the numbers presented by Rear Admiral Yamamoto for the Circle 2 Plan at face value, the Imperial Navy seemed to be enthusiastic about reinforcing its vessels. However, on the other hand, it's clear that there is a significant shortage of aircraft to put on the carriers. Furthermore, the stockpile of ammunition and fuel is also inadequate. It makes one wonder if their behavior prioritizes securing positions for officers rather than the actual national defense. Binta can't help but feel this way.

'Does the Imperial Navy genuinely have the motivation for a serious war?'

A sense of distrust toward the Imperial Navy welled up within Binta, but he refrained from expressing it. Uttering such sentiments to Vice-Minister Hasegawa or Rear Admiral Yamamoto would be futile. So, he returned his thoughts to the current reality. Rear Admiral Yamamoto was requesting funds to supplement the shortage of carrier-based aircraft. It should be acceptable to grant this.

"I understand regarding the carrier-based aircraft. Please provide me with the required number and cost estimates. I will allocate the funds for the procurement of aircraft with enhanced bulletproof equipment."

Though there were conditions attached, Rear Admiral Yamamoto expressed his gratitude to Binta for accepting the request without much ado. Vice-Minister Hasegawa visibly displayed relief.

"Also, regarding the aircraft, that is fine, but what about the gasoline required for them? Currently, the octane rating for American military aircraft is 87 as the standard, and as early as this year, it may transition to 92 octane. In contrast, Japan is at most in the low 80s, and there isn't even a clear plan for mass-producing 87 octane. And if things continue as they are in the United States, it's undeniable that 100 octane will become the standard in a few years. The delay in the octane rating competition is a critical issue directly affecting the outcome of aerial warfare."

Amidst significant advancements in engine precision and high output, the quality of gasoline, particularly the octane rating, has started to come into focus recently. Even with the same engine, fuel quality, especially the octane rating, can have a considerable impact on fuel efficiency and output.

Of course, it is common knowledge for the three present here that Japan lags significantly behind the United States in terms of scientific and technological advancements. Binta, as well as Vice-Minister Hasegawa and Rear Admiral Yamamoto, have had experiences living in the US, so this knowledge isn't just theoretical but also ingrained in their instincts. Among these scientific and technological fields, the delay in the area of petrochemicals is particularly noticeable.

Binta, with his sharp economic mind, harbored an even deeper concern than most regarding the technological gap between Japan and the US in gasoline. In the United States, with its developed industrial and motorization sectors, the petroleum-related market is substantial. Consequently, every company faces fierce competitive pressures, and as a result, technological progress is accelerated. Among these, there's no doubt that their refining technology for high-quality gasoline stands out from the rest. Binta's apprehension is something that Rear Admiral Yamamoto, who used to be the technical director of the Aviation Bureau, can understand quite well.

"Your concerns are shared by the Imperial Navy. The Imperial Navy is also researching the production method of high-octane gasoline with a sense of the issue. However, we have encountered extreme difficulties, and progress has not been as smooth as we would like. We have no choice but to admit that there is a big gap with the United States."

While wearing a concerned expression, Rear Admiral Yamamoto honestly reveals the current situation of the Imperial Navy.

"The United States, for the time being, seems to maintain a certain distance regarding the conflicts between Japan and China. However, internally, they are not pleased with the behavior of the Imperial Army on the continent. After all, the actions of the Imperial Army are contrary to the interests of the United States. If, hypothetically, the Imperial Army were to behave in a manner that exceeds the United States' tolerance, their country would undoubtedly impose export restrictions on technology or products to Japan. Given the recent situation on the continent, the likelihood of such restrictions is extremely high. Petroleum products would undoubtedly be included in the list of restricted items."

After a brief pause, Binta continued.

"That's why it's crucial to introduce as much technology and manufacturing facilities related to American petroleum products, including high-octane gasoline, as possible right now. Japan has barely accumulated any foundational research in this field. No matter how hard we try, it would take at least ten years to catch up with the United States."

The disparity in petroleum refining technology between Japan and the United States is too significant. Therefore, Binta insisted on acquiring everything that could be obtained from the United States.

"I understand what you are saying. But if we were to attempt to introduce American technology and facilities for high-octane gasoline, especially to an unfriendly party, they would undoubtedly demand exorbitant prices."

The financially struggling navy has no room to purchase such expensive items. Implied in his words, Rear Admiral Yamamoto presented his thoughts. But Binta, without agreeing with Rear Admiral Yamamoto's entirely reasonable perspective, spoke words that might be seen as oblivious to common sense.

"Why not just buy it? If we can get high-octane gasoline, no amount of money is too much. Besides, I will provide the funds. After all, petroleum refining technology is absolutely essential for Japan's future economic development, so I won't be stingy with money. And more than half of my assets were amassed from the United States. It wouldn't hurt to give back to their country once in a while."

With a slightly sinister smile, Binta proposed additional assistance.

"Gasoline is one thing, but consumables like lubricants and coolant are also important. The quality of these items is directly linked to maintainability and operational efficiency, so we need to ensure we can produce high-quality domestic products. Oh, and electrical components like cables and plugs also require high-quality items. It's probably a good idea to seek technical support from Germany in that regard."

While saying this, Binta listed various aircraft parts and consumables required. Of course, since the money belongs to Binta, Vice-Minister Hasegawa and Rear Admiral Yamamoto have no grounds to complain. Nevertheless, Vice-Minister Hasegawa and Rear Admiral Yamamoto couldn't help but feel a certain discomfort, as if they were in an indescribable situation, asking a civilian for naval equipment.