Chapter 54 - Auxiliary Vessel Hunting

The 1st Air Fleet, 2nd Air Fleet, and 3rd Air Fleet launched attack squadrons spanning three phases in the morning. A force of over 700 carrier-based aircraft relentlessly attacked the British fleet, sinking all seven aircraft carriers. Furthermore, two new battleships, HMS King George V and HMS Duke of York, along with the battlecruiser HMS Renown, were also buried deep underwater. In addition, numerous cruisers and destroyers were either sunk or destroyed. However, despite such heavy losses, the British fleet continued its advance towards the Combined Fleet.

"According to reports from reconnaissance planes, A-1 and A-3 have joined forces. Additionally, one cruiser from A-2 and five destroyers have joined them. Their force consists of 8 battleships, 9 cruisers, and 31 destroyers. Furthermore, around twenty cruisers and destroyers are taking a northwesterly course. It appears that these ships are attempting to withdraw from the battlefield due to damage."

Nodding slightly at the report from the air staff officer, Vice Admiral Ozawa of the 1st Air Fleet gestured with his eyes, urging the continuation of the discussion.

"As for our losses, 36 Zero fighters and 71 Type 0 attackers have not returned. Additionally, numerous aircraft have been damaged by enemy fire. Currently, we have 342 operational Zero fighters and 140 operational Type 0s."

Ten percent of the Zero fighters and over twenty percent of the Type 0 attackers that participated in the attack have not returned. Furthermore, the immediate operational aircraft have reduced to 70% for Zero fighters and less than 40% for Type 0 attackers. Despite the perceived inferiority of British naval firepower compared to American vessels, significant damage has been incurred. Even torpedo attacks, considered a natural part of engaging the enemy up close, and even glide bombing, considered safer than dive bombing, have become tactics close to suicide in the current era of advanced fire control systems.

"As for the Type 0 attackers, deploy all except those assigned to anti-submarine patrols, forward reconnaissance, and contact missions. For the Zero fighters, leave two squadrons for direct air cover for each carrier, and the remaining aircraft will be launched with bombs. The Type 0 attackers will target cruisers, and the Zero fighters will target destroyers."

The decision to target cruisers and destroyers instead of battleships was not Ozawa's choice. It was based on instructions from Admiral Mineichi Koga, the commander of the European Expeditionary Fleet and concurrently the commander-in-chief of the First Fleet.

The First Fleet boasts eight battleships, making it the Imperial Japanese Navy's strongest surface striking force. However, when it comes to cruisers and destroyers, they accounted for just over half of the approaching British fleet. To overcome this numerical disadvantage, the plan for the fourth attack group, scheduled for the afternoon, is to eliminate as many British cruisers and destroyers as possible.

For the three carrier task forces, British cruisers and destroyers are particularly troublesome. The eight British battleships are all slow, and as long as the appropriate distance is maintained, there is no problem. However, when facing British cruisers and destroyers, it becomes difficult for carriers other than the Sōryū, Hiryū, the Unryū-class, and the Shōkaku-class to escape. Although there are 6 cruisers and 29 destroyers escorting the three carrier task forces, except for the Tone and Chikuma, the rest are mostly anti-air cruisers and destroyers, not particularly good in surface combat. If the defensive formation of the First Fleet is breached, the task forces will be in significant danger. Therefore, the attack on British cruisers and destroyers was not only for the support of the First Fleet but also to ensure the safety of the task forces.

The fourth attack group consists of 252 Zero fighters and 125 Type 0 attackers, totaling 377 aircraft. The Type 0s carry torpedoes, while the Zero fighters each carry a 250-kilogram bomb.

Upon sighting the British fleet, the Zero fighter squadron transitioned to a dive-bombing maneuver. The enemy fleet below was arranged in a single-column formation with eight battleships in the center and two cruisers on either side. Additionally, five cruisers and 31 destroyers were deployed to flank them.

"To the fighters approaching the target. 2nd Air Fleet to the right column, 3rd Air Fleet to the left column. For the 1st Air Fleet, Shōkaku and Zuikaku units go for the right, and the others to the left."

After a brief pause, Lieutenant Commander Shimazaki, the commander of the second attack group and the leader of the Zuikaku attacker unit, continued the orders.

"To the attackers approaching the target. 1st Air Fleet to the cruisers on the right flank, and the 3rd Air Fleet to the left. 2nd Air Fleet, target the cruisers in front and behind the battleship formation."

Following Shimazaki's orders, the Zero fighter squadron immediately launched a shallow dive-bombing attack on the British fleet. The targeted British destroyers activated their anti-aircraft weapons in an attempt to repel the approaching Zero fighters. Explosions from high-explosive shells created black clouds, and the Zero fighters were engulfed by the barrage of machine guns and cannon fire. Seven Zeros burst into flames within the blast radius of high-explosive shells, and six more were shot down by direct hits from machine gun rounds during their retreat after the bombing run.

A few moments later, water columns and smoke rose around the British destroyers as they were hit by successive bomb drops from the 245 Zero fighters. While the accuracy is less than ten percent, the fact that fighter planes not specialized for bombing, and targeting small, fast-moving destroyers, managed to score direct hits is commendable.

While the 250 kg bomb is criticized for being underpowered against battleships, it proves highly effective against destroyers with no armor. The destroyers struck experienced a significant loss of speed, and those hit twice emitted dense smoke, coming to a halt on the open sea.

Moreover, even the ones that avoided direct hits have sustained damage from near misses, with cracks and punctures below the waterline. Nine destroyers, less than 30%, remained completely unscathed.

On the other hand, the nine cruisers targeted by the 125 Type 0 attackers launched from eleven regular aircraft carriers did not escape unscathed. Each cruiser was hit by at least one torpedo. Especially, heavy cruisers Kent and her sister ship Cumberland, hit by torpedo attacks from the Hiryū and Sōryū squadrons, each received three torpedo hits. Despite desperate damage control efforts, both ships were dragged into the depths of the North Atlantic Ocean.

Still, Admiral Cunningham did not cease his advance. He ordered the damaged destroyers and cruisers to return to the mainland, while he led eight battleships and nine destroyers toward the Combined Fleet. If they were to abandon the fight and retreat now, the Combined Fleet would have free rein to sink British merchant ships as they pleased. If that were to happen, Britain would be finished.

"Sorry to drag you all into this," Cunningham apologized to the staff and captains on the bridge of the battleship Nelson, the flagship of Force Y. The upcoming battle is one of ten deaths and zero lives.

However, no one casts blame. Everyone understands the significance of the upcoming battle. With a sense of salvation in that realization, Admiral Cunningham issued the order.

"All ships, maximum speed! We'll engage the enemy on sight!"