Chapter 37 - Air Battle of Oahu

A vast amount of resources, swiftly delivered to where they are needed was the reason why the US military is strong. However, even with their capabilities, a reaction time of a month and a half was too short. Still, the Japanese military would not wait. So, there was no choice but to do what they could within their limits.

The top priority for Oahu was to deploy combat aircraft to secure air superiority. The reason why the Allied Forces had to suffer so much in the battles throughout Asia, as well as the Battle off Malaya and the Battle of the Marshall Islands, was because they failed to gain air superiority. To avoid repeating that mistake, it was essential to reinforce the combat aircraft. As a result, the number of P-40s at the start of the war more than doubled to over 230. All of these aircraft were responsible for Oahu's air defense.

The Navy and Marine Corps also enhanced their lineup unintentionally by transferring fighter aircraft deployed on Wake Island and Midway to Oahu. When combined with the aircraft already in Hawaii, there were 20 F2A Buffaloes and 28 F4F Wildcats. These aircraft were tasked with providing air cover for the Pacific Fleet and escorting attack squadrons. In addition to these, there were 144 F4Fs from the aircraft squadrons on aircraft carriers. The number of American carrier-based fighter aircraft at the Battle of the Marshall Islands was only around 60, so this represented nearly seven times that number.

While the combat aircraft were being reinforced, it was the bombers and attack aircraft that suffered as a result. The Army had hoped for the additional deployment of A-20s, which excelled in maintainability and survivability and were capable of carrying torpedoes. However, all the arranged transport ships were designated to carry fighter aircraft, leaving no other option but to give up on the A-20.

In place of the A-20s, a large number of B-17s were deployed to Oahu. The long-range capabilities of the B-17 made it suitable for airlift. Additionally, the B-17 had a larger crew, making it suitable for patrols and reconnaissance.

On the Navy and Marine Corps side, there were 18 SB2U and 45 SBD carrier-based bombers, as well as 10 TBD carrier-based torpedo bombers. These aircraft were expected to take on the task of eliminating Japanese ships, a role for which Army aircraft were ill-suited.

In a very short period, the Oahu base air force and the resurrected Pacific Fleet had strengthened their forces. In contrast, the Combined Fleet challenged them head-on. On February 14, 1942, when they reached the starting point of their operation, the 1st Air Fleet launched its attack groups toward Oahu. There were 36 Zero fighters from the Akagi and Kaga carriers, as well as 18 from the Ryūjō, Zuihō, Shōhō, and Ryūhō. In total, 144 Zero fighters took off from the flight decks and soared into the sky.

Furthermore, slightly behind them, as the first reconnaissance team from the 3rd Air Fleet, 12 Type 0 attackers took off to search for the Pacific Fleet, forming a reconnaissance line extending from the north-northeast to the south-southwest. 30 minutes later, another 12 aircraft from the same fleet took off as the second reconnaissance team, following the path of the first team.

The first to engage in combat were the 144 Zero fighters launched by the 1st Air Fleet and the P-40s defending Oahu. The Army's fighters, using radar deployed on Oahu, immediately initiated intercepting combat upon detecting the Japanese formations.

At this point, the 230 P-40s were divided into three groups: A, B, and C. One group was responsible for aerial surveillance, another group was on standby at all times for immediate takeoff, and the remaining group followed the standard three-shift rotation for maintenance and resupply. Currently, Group A was on aerial surveillance duty, Group B was on immediate standby, and Group C was handling maintenance and resupply.

"The enemy's force is approximately 150 aircraft. Group A, intercept them with full force and disengage their escort fighters. Group B, take off immediately and strike their bombers. Group C, transition to immediate standby as swiftly as possible, preparing for the enemy's second wave."

While issuing a series of orders, the ATC commander was confident of his forces' victory. Multiple Japanese fleets had invaded Oahu, and it was known through prior intelligence that they possessed over 10 aircraft carriers in total. However, even with such a large number of aircraft carriers, the attack size of approximately 150 aircraft was somewhat modest, possibly due to allocating a significant number of aircraft to defend against the Pacific Fleet. Alternatively, it might be because they had easily dealt with the US air forces in Hawaii, thinking that 150 aircraft would suffice. In any case, the Japanese side had committed the taboo of deploying insufficient forces, and they had done so at this critical moment.

"Engage!"

A report announcing the commencement of combat came from Group A's commander. With an estimated enemy size of 150 aircraft, if half of them were fighters, they would be evenly matched with Group A.

'Group A might face some difficulties.'

The ATC commander understood the formidable nature of the aircraft called "Zero fighters" after reading battle reports sent by the US air forces in the Philippines. These aircraft were agile and boasted a large-caliber machine gun with significant firepower, representing the latest Imperial Japanese Navy fighter planes. However, at the moment when the ATC commander had slight concerns, the reality turned out to be beyond his expectations as the radio delivered the message.

"All enemy aircraft are fighters! Request immediate reinforcements!"

Upon receiving this report that sounded like a scream, the ATC commander realized his own error. Given the estimated enemy force of 150 aircraft, he had assumed it would be a combination of fighters and bombers. It should have been the same assumption for both himself and the pilots who were actually fighting in the air. However, the Japanese had exploited this presumption.

"Group B, hurry to support Group A! Group C, all those available, get up in the air!"

While issuing a series of orders, the ATC commander recognized that the first round of the battle for Oahu had been completely seized by the Japanese. For a moment, he had been pleased about the deployment of forces that fell short of the enemy's required strength. However, now, they were committing the gravest taboo of deploying forces one by one. Despite these thoughts, the ATC commander's ears were filled with the enthusiastic voice of the communication officer.

"Navy and Marine Corps fighters are launching, sir!"

Presumably, the Navy and Marine Corps had detected that the Army's fighter squadron was in a tough spot. Therefore, they temporarily set aside their mission to provide air cover for the Pacific Fleet and escort carrier-based bombers and torpedo bombers on Oahu, redirecting their efforts to rescue the struggling P-40s. The ATC commander was grateful for this, but his thoughts remained complex. As a result, the carrier-based bombers and torpedo bombers on Oahu would be of no use for a while. Of course, there was the option of sending them against the Japanese fleet without fighter escort, but that was likely not a viable choice.

However, what concerned the ATC commander even more was the thought that the Navy and Marine Corps fighter squads, in comparison to the Army's fighter squads, were just a small part of the incremental deployment of forces. Their numbers were much lower.