Chapter 68 - Commencement of Artillery Bombardment

Above the airspace of Task Group 58.7, there were faint sightings of P-38 Lightnings, P-47 Thunderbolts, and F4U Corsairs, albeit in small numbers. In the desperate situation, TG 58.7, without abandoning Oahu, seemed to be deploying an umbrella over the Japanese surface strike force, determined to face the overwhelming odds. Despite being numerically disadvantaged, they dared to challenge the overwhelming number of Zero fighters.

However, the outcome was brutal. No matter how high-performance the P-38, P-47, and F4U were, the difference in numbers with the Zero fighters was too great. Once, Ozawa had discerned that airplanes were about numbers, and this battle was exactly a manifestation of that. Meanwhile, in the sea area near the aerial combat zone, Japanese and American warships were clashing.

"Did they accept a head-on challenge?"

Four American battleships were facing their direction. Observing their course, Vice Admiral Kakuta, the commander of the First Fleet, muttered with a mix of admiration. Whether they had confidence in winning or were not allowed to retreat, he didn't know. But for Kakuta, it was the desired development.

"Designate the targets. Yamato will attack the first battleship, Musashi to the second, Nagato and Mutsu to the third, and Ise and Hyūga to the fourth. Open fire at 25.000 meters."

Having won air superiority, they had unrestricted use of observation planes, so ideally, they could have started firing from a slightly greater distance. However, long-range artillery had poor accuracy, leading to many stray shots. Moreover, depending on the future situation, the First Fleet might conduct naval gunfire against Oahu. Firing after advancing a certain distance would avoid unnecessary misses.

The American battleships initiated the firing first. They opened fire when the distance between them and the Japanese fleet was still over 27.000 meters. Perhaps they had set the gun battle distance around 30.000 yards. Even if the observation planes were unusable, they might have believed that with their excellent fire control system, hitting the target was still possible.

"The enemy's first and second ships are targeting us. The third and fourth ships are targeting the Musashi."

Upon the lookout's report, everyone on the bridge of the Yamato showed expressions of approval. The enemy did not ignore the Yamato or Musashi, and thus did not open fire at Nagato, Mutsu, Ise, and Hyūga. This behavior adhered faithfully to the theory of collective warfare: eliminate the greatest threat first. In other words, the commander of the American surface strike force seemed to be a prudent and sensible individual.

'For us, that would be a relief.'

Despite being targeted by two new American battleships, Kakuta couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief in his heart. He had heard that the armor surrounding the vital parts of the Yamato and Musashi was designed to withstand 46-centimeter shells fired from a distance of 20.000 to 30.000 meters. However, this information was only based on the design stage, and the actual effectiveness was uncertain. Nevertheless, it should be more than sufficient to withstand 40-centimeter shells from American battleships. On the other hand, the Nagato and Ise class battleships were not as resilient. They were not as sturdy as the Yamato-class battleships, and depending on the hit location, a single shot could potentially sink them. That's why the tactics adopted by the enemy battleship fleet seemed to be according to Kakuta's expectations and, in a sense, appreciated.

The firing control system equipped on the American battleships seemed to be quite excellent. While there were no direct hits, even the splashes weren't too far off target. Considering the large initial distance of 27.000 meters, this was a performance that deserved a passing grade.

"Change the orders. Start the counterfire a bit earlier than planned."

In the midst of battle, sudden changes in orders were usually not welcomed. However, no one objected to Kakuta's orders. If they continued as they were, they would undoubtedly be bombarded, losing the initiative. The accuracy of the American battleship's gunfire was perceived as a threat, causing a certain level of crisis or anxiety.

The gunnery crews were likely already prepared. Without much delay after Kakuta's order, the firing commenced. The Yamato took the lead, followed by the Musashi. The Nagato, Mutsu, Ise, and Hyūga also retaliated with their 41-centimeter guns.

The six battleships, including the Yamato, were equipped with British-made firing control radar. Compared to traditional optical rangefinders, firing control radar could provide much more accurate distance measurements. However, the firing control radar's azimuth accuracy was somewhat lacking, so traditional optical rangefinders were used in conjunction to compensate for this weakness. Ideally, upgrading the optical rangefinders to high-quality German ones would have been best, but it was not possible in time for this battle.

As the distances between the two fleets closed in, the accuracy of their gunfire improved. The American battleships, having started firing first, achieved the first hits. The flagship and first ship of the enemy, the South Dakota, fired a 40-centimeter shell that hit the Yamato's reserve fire control station, rendering it unusable due to the impact and explosion. Following suit, the second ship, the Indiana, also hit the fourth secondary gun turret, just behind the reserve fire control station, causing it to explode.

Despite successive hits, there was no despair among Kakuta and the First Fleet command staff. Certainly, if hit, the 40-centimeter shells of the American battleships would cause significant damage to the ship's structures. However, these shells did not penetrate the armor of the Yamato. This made it clear that the risk of penetrating the ammunition depot or causing significant damage to the engine room was extremely low.

Nevertheless, being on the receiving end of the blows was still not a pleasant feeling. Frustration was building among the members of the First Fleet headquarters. After taking two more 40-centimeter shells, the eagerly awaited report came from the artillery officer.

"Straddle! Transitioning to simultaneous firing!"