Chapter 69 - Surface Bombardment of Annihilation

The nine shells fired by the Yamato rained down on the enemy's flagship, the battleship USS South Dakota. As smoke billowed up from the ship, eight columns of water rose. The heavy shells, weighing up to one and a half tons, penetrated the formidable armor of the South Dakota that boasted one of the highest defense capabilities among American battleships and exploded deep within the ship. On the other hand, it was fortunate for the South Dakota that the hit locations were not vital areas such as the ammunition storage or engine room.

The Yamato continued to pound the South Dakota with two, three, and then four 46-centimeter shells. However, the South Dakota showed no sign of significant damage. No matter how powerful the 46-centimeter shells were, they could not sink the ship with only a few hits unless they were exceptionally fortunate in hitting vital areas. In fact, the Imperial Navy estimated that at least ten shots would be needed to neutralize an enemy battleship, and for a newly designed battleship with excellent defense, fifteen shots or more would be necessary.

"What a stubborn lady."

In response to Chief of Staff Takayanagi's muttered words, Kakuta also silently agreed. Since switching to simultaneous firing, the Yamato had fired more than ten 46-centimeter shells at the enemy flagship in a short period. On the other hand, the Yamato, which was receiving gunfire from both the enemy flagship and the second ship, was taking 40-centimeter shells approaching twice the number, nearing twenty. However, there was no shell that pierced the vital parts of the Yamato. Her robust armor completely prevents the penetration of the heavy 40-centimeter shells. On the other hand, the 46-centimeter shells of the Yamato have the power to penetrate the armor of enemy battleships wherever they hit. Therefore, without a doubt, a considerable number of them should have pierced through important sections, yet the enemy flagship continues to unleash counterfire while trailing thick smoke. In the opposite sense, the enemy flagship was fortunate in hitting the right spots.

However, luck does not last forever, and such occurrences are rare. Especially when caught within the firing range of the enemy battleship. The first salvo fired by the Yamato pierced the side of the South Dakota next to the first turret. The 46-centimeter shells easily penetrated the structural steel and armor, exploding with their explosive power in the ammunition storage. And there, the shells and propellants provided enough heat and impact to function. Despite having thick armor and excellent damage control capability, the South Dakota cannot withstand the internal pressure from the explosion. Soaring flames and a plume of smoke rose high, and the South Dakota sank into the thick smoke.

Almost simultaneously with the Yamato sinking the South Dakota, the outcome of the battle between the Musashi and the Indiana was also determined. The Musashi, too, was showered with 40-centimeter shells from the Massachusetts and Alabama, but like the Yamato, none of them pierced vital sections. Although the Musashi had many secondary guns, anti-aircraft guns, and machine guns destroyed by the 40-centimeter shells, her main guns maintained their functionality until the end. She, in turn, scored more than ten hits with 46-centimeter shells, completely depriving the Indiana of her combat capability.

The defeat of both the South Dakota and the Indiana against the Yamato and the Musashi was not so much due to differences in ship performance but rather a simple disparity in size. Attempting to battle on equal terms with a 30.000-ton battleship against a 60.000-ton battleship was inherently unreasonable. It might be likened to a skilled middleweight boxer challenging and being defeated by an average heavyweight boxer.

The third ship, the Massachusetts, and the fourth ship, the Alabama, were both being shredded and engulfed in flames by numerous 41-centimeter shells. Despite being relentlessly attacked by the Nagato, Mutsu, Ise, and Hyūga, the Massachusetts and Alabama continued to aim their guns at the Musashi. Perhaps they believed that they could withstand the projectiles of outdated battleships. However, the 41-centimeter shells fired by the four battleships exceeded one ton in weight, and their striking power was among the strongest, except for the Yamato-class battleships and the latest American battleships. Feeling the danger of the rapidly increasing damage, it was already too late for the Massachusetts and Alabama to turn the tide when they finally retaliated. By then, the Yamato and Musashi, having dispatched the South Dakota and Indiana, had joined the battle. From that point on, it was a swift conclusion.

By the time the duel between the battleships reached its resolution, other units' battles had already concluded.

The clash between the 13 American destroyers and the light cruisers Agano and 16 Kagerō-class destroyers on the Japanese side ended in a decisive victory for Japan. The Japanese had taken the initiative. At a distance of 15.000 meters, each ship launched eight torpedoes, totaling 136 oxygen torpedoes unleashed toward the American destroyers.

On the other hand, the American destroyers had also anticipated this attack. Through the previous battles, the US Navy had learned that Japanese ships were equipped with torpedoes with faint wakes and an unusually long range. Therefore, they closely monitored the surface and did not miss the timing when Japanese destroyers launched torpedoes, avoiding the onslaught of oxygen torpedoes.

However, the Japanese torpedo squadron also anticipated the movements of the Americans. While the Americans were taking evasive actions, the Japanese quickly loaded spare torpedoes into the launch tubes using the rapid reload system and simultaneously fired them as the artillery barrage commenced. The oxygen torpedoes, fired amidst the smoke, advanced through the sea without being detected by the American destroyers. The Americans were aware of the existence of long-range torpedoes. However, they either did not know about the presence of the rapid reload system or, if they did, were unaware of its ability for swift reloading.

Believing they had completely dodged the torpedoes, the 13 American destroyers carelessly approached the torpedo squadron and inadvertently fell into the submerged traps laid beneath the sea. There were four hits with oxygen torpedoes. A hit rate below three percent was an undesired outcome for the torpedo experts, but it drastically reduced the number of American destroyers to nine.

Afterward, the Agano engaged in one-on-one combat, while two Kagerō-class destroyers formed a team, each challenging an American destroyer they had singled out. Destroyers cannot defeat light cruisers. Even the excellent Fletcher-class destroyer is no match for twice the number of Kagerō-class destroyers. The American destroyers rapidly decreased in number, and within a very short time, all the ships were crushed and disappeared into the sea.

The battle between two Baltimore-class heavy cruisers and four Cleveland-class light cruisers against the four Takao-class heavy cruisers along with the battleships Yamashiro and Fusō also ended in a decisive victory for the Japanese. The Baltimore and her sister ship Boston each took on the Yamashiro and Fusō. Despite having performance that would not lose to heavy cruisers of any naval power, the Baltimore-class heavy cruiser was evidently insufficient when facing battleships. The Baltimore and Boston fired extraordinary 150-kilogram shells from their 20-centimeter guns at the Yamashiro and Fusō, but these shells never penetrated the vital parts of both ships. Conversely, the one-ton shells fired by the Yamashiro and Fusō easily pierced the armor, causing significant damage to the interior of the ships, regardless of where they hit.

Having disposed of the Baltimore and Boston early in the battle, the Yamashiro and Fusō joined the fight against four Cleveland-class light cruisers and the Takao-class heavy cruisers. Just as they were engaged in an evenly matched exchange, two battleships armed with 41-centimeter guns intervened, making it extremely difficult for the Cleveland-class light cruisers. Two of the four Cleveland-class light cruisers, with their flanks exposed, were quickly destroyed, and the remaining two were overwhelmed by the four Takao-class heavy cruisers.