Chapter 42

A.N. Good luck. Don't forget to hit the star button. ♥️⭐️🍀

By the time we reached the hotel, we were soaking wet from the cold rain, and Sadie was shivering lightly.

Luckily nobody was around to see us in that state.

We got to Sadie's room and we were finally fully alone in private.

Something about discussing our situation, putting our fears and our complaints on the table, and being able to talk through them rationally had opened up doors inside me.

Sadie was showering under scorching hot water, trying to stop her body from telling her she was going to freeze to death. In the meantime, I brushed my wet hair and cleaned my face as I waited for a turn in the shower. I would've joined her if the water wasn't so uncomfortably hot.

We met in bed, once we were both ready to go to sleep.

I lay under the covers, finally comfortable and warm, next to the woman I loved, ready to leave the day we had just lived behind us and start over again the following morning.

I hadn't checked my phone.

I didn't know if Colin had ever answered my text regarding my relationship with Sadie.

I wasn't sure I wanted to find out that evening, but after a few minutes, the urge to take a look had gotten the best of me.

That's pretty low for you honestly, I thought you wouldn't lie about cheating. I should've known when I saw her at your place that you were already gone. Good luck.

I didn't know where to go from there.

Sadie's chin rested on my shoulder as she read Colin's latest text with me.

One of her hands slipped under my shirt to caress my stomach. Somehow she knew that acid was bubbling up in it at his words.

I was reading the text over and over until Sadie gently picked up the phone from my hands and turned it off. She placed it on the nightstand table on her side of the bed and cuddled up to my side.

I held her and tried to focus on the things I had over the things I had lost.

Loving Sadie was wonderful, but it couldn't forever erase the pain I had caused to Colin and the pain that was being inflicted back on me.

I had finally told her that I loved her, and she had laughed at the circumstances in which I had decided to do so.

She hadn't said it back.

My thoughts were getting foggier and messier.

One sad thought pulled the next one.

I wanted to drink.

I slipped out of her arms to go check the mini-bar in the room.

Sadie's eyes followed me carefully as I bent in front of the small fridge and ran my fingers over the cold little bottles.

"Do you want anything?" I asked her, not wanting to appear too eager to have a solo drink.

"I'm good sweets. Can I do anything for you?" She asked back, "I can try to take your mind off of things if you'd like me to," She offered in a soft and raspy hum.

My eyes darted back to her, her bare legs had already slid to the side of the bed for her to stand.

Suddenly my thirst began to transform and switch to a completely different sort of thirst and desire.

I swallowed and closed the fridge distractedly.

Sadie's loose dark gray shirt didn't cover her past her hips. Just like her soft baby blue underwear didn't cover much of her butt.