𝟐𝟒. 𝐴 𝑐𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝑓𝑜𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑙𝑝

Beginne am Anfang

"Because you mean to replace us... With Alicent Hightower's son! The boy you always wanted. You have him in hands now," she retorted back as Viserys listened with a frown on his face. "Y-You have no further use for me. You might as well peddle me for what you can. A mountain stronghold or a fleet of ships."

"You have misjudged me, Rhaenyra."

"All know it. Jason Lannister knows it," she pointed out. "You said it yourself, even Visenya told me and she's not been here long! The lords of the realm gather like vultures to a carcass, hoping to feast on my bones."

Viserys looked down for a moment. "It is true that as rulers we must marry for advantage, to forge alliances and bolster our strength. You have always understood this. I myself was promised to your mother when I was–"

"Ten-and-seven years of age. The Vale had an army to rival the North. You've told us that story even when we were inside Mother's womb. I'm sure Visenya can recite it as well," Rhaenyra smiled and leaned slightly forward.

"I loved her. She made a man of me," Viserys said with some melancholy. "I do not seek to replace you, child. Not you nor your sister." He looked towards the entrance of the chambers.

"You and Visenya've been much alone both when you were apart and when reunited these last few years," Viserys raised his voice as he glanced back at her. "Alone and angry. I will not live forever. I wish to see my two girls contended, happy even."

"You think a man will do it?" Rhaenyra asked and he answered right back.

"A family."

"I had a family," she answered with some sadness in her voice.

"What would you have me do?!" Viserys exclaimed.

Reaching her breaking point, Rhaenyra let her pent-up anger out. "If it was for advantage, you would've wed Laena Velaryon!" She glared at him as Viserys nodded stiffly.

"That is true enough..." Viserys agreed calmly. "You must marry, strengthen your own claim, shore up your succession, multiply."

"Will you ask the same of Visenya?" Rhaenyra asked but Viserys avoided answering that question and kept going.

Rhaenyra knew that her father demanded this because he made her his heir, but if she must marry for duty then Visenya should do the same, right?

The thing is that Viserys wasn't sure if he would be able to ask the same of his oldest, not because he would be afraid of a possible argument happening, no. Because if one of his girls is bound to marry for duty the other should be able to marry for love, only under her own conditions.

It's what Viserys wanted for Daemon, but him being Daemon doesn't leave much room for such miracles to happen.

"As to your match..." Viserys got closer to his daughter as he spoke softly. "Make it yourself," Rhaenyra furrowed her brows. "Search him out. Find one that pleases you, as I did."

Rhaenyra stared up at him with glossy eyes and pressed her lips into a thin line as she looked away, swallowing down a sudden knot in her throat, and stood up with the intention of leaving.

"Rhaenyra," Viserys called out and she stopped, looking back at him. "I did waver... at one time. But I swear to you now and I'll swear it to Visenya if I need to, on your mother's memory, you will not be supplanted."

Rhaenyra's lips twitched as her gaze lingered on him, and she turned back around and left without another word.