𝟐𝟑. 𝐴 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟

              WHILE VISENYA, Rhaenyra, and Ser Criston walked through the forest, the girls' father was drinking his weight in wine after having listened to Jason Lannister talk for what one would deem as too long, and was now talking to Lord Lyonel Strong.

"We've sent out riders to find Rhaenyra, Your Grace. Visenya and Ser Criston went after her, so the hope is that they are together," Lyonel made his presence known.

Viserys groaned. "The girl is a heedless contrarian. If I instead forbade her to wed a Lannister, she would've run off with Lord Jason out of spite," Lyonel smiled at the troubled father as Viserys let out a small, almost inaudible, chuckle. "Who would know what Visenya would do if she found out about Tyland," he sighed. "A truly great Targaryen King I am. Powerless over mine own daughters of seven-and-ten."

Lord Strong proceeded to talk about the late king's daughters, and how it is tradition for them to drive a father towards madness. Something that Viserys seemed to silently agree with.

"Do you wish to hear my opinion on the matter?" Viserys sighed in exasperation before taking a guess.

"Should I guess? You believe that your son, Ser Harwin 'Breakbones', the strongest knight in the Seven Kingdoms, is the best match for Rhaenyra."

Lyonel softly moved his head up and down, briefly lost in his own thoughts, thinking about how he noticed something different about his eldest.

"You flatter me, Your Grace, but no. Perhaps my son has his eyes already set on someone else." Viserys listened without understanding the amusement in the man's words.

"It would seem to me the best match for Rhaenyra is the son of the Sea Snake, Ser Laenor. Some years ago, I counseled you to take his sister to wife. My reasoning remains the same. Laenor is of pure Valyrian descent. He shares blood with your cousin, the Princess Rhaenys. And he is the heir to the wealthiest house in the realm. The breach between your houses has not narrowed since I last spoke of it. It would do much to assuage Lord Corlys of any slights real... or imagined."

There was a silence.

"We must pray, of course, that Laenor survives the fighting in the Stepstones."