20. INVESTIGATION

Start from the beginning

"I can't tell you everything that happened at Blackwell. And you've seen too much. So, please stay away from this, Max."

"Too late. I already know too much. So, are you and Nathan Prescott—"

"That little bastard Nathan Prescott is lucky he only got suspended," he said.

"Yeah, I was also lucky to only get suspended... thank you."

"I didn't have all the evidence at the time. I... I'm sorry, Max. However, I think we can both agree that it's been a rough week for all of us... Especially poor Kate Marsh."

"I'm trying to help Kate."

"You tried to help her more than anyone, Max. I'm sure you didn't. Plus I left the roof of the dorm wide open... I know Kate feels hopeless," David said. "You even got to the roof before me or anyone else."

"I know Kate is desperate too. So is Mr. Jefferson. And I got Nathan suspended for what?"

"That guy's an elitist bastard. Now, I'm off duty, so I can say it at home behind his back. Like when Chloe called me "stepdaughter". These "artists" live in a fantasy world."

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"These art-farts are about themselves. When I served, I hated the photographers who tried to position me in their anti-war bullshit."

"Blackwell Academy is a school for artists, so maybe it's not the best place for you," I said.

"I have family here, Max. And I think Blackwell is the best place for me, because only I know what's going on."

"Of course, thanks to Ms Grant and her hippie anti-surveillance petition, I hope everyone feels safer... like Rachel Amber and Kate Marsh," she said. "Although, you're like a walking surveillance system. I appreciate you sticking up for me, but I had to be the tough one and tell you and Chloe to stay out of it. Things would only get uglier."

"Chloe and I can take care of ourselves," I said.

"Now if you'll excuse me, Max, I have to go. Thanks for getting my ass out of the house."

David leaves and closes the door. I went into the garage.

It looks like David has finished repairing his car. There might be some new clues around.

There was a locker that was previously blocked by a car that now caught my attention. The locker had a padlock that I couldn't open with my bare hands.

Wow, that's a serious padlock on that locker. Hey, David, what ya hiding?

For once, I don't have time to look for the code... I have to find a way to break this lock.

I grabbed a crowbar from the table.

OK, I can use that crowbar to open the locker.

Sorry, David, but I'm sure you'd do the same thing as me.

I found a bunch of suspicious files.

Wow... Maps, notes, coordinates, photos of Kate, Nathan... Oh, yes!

Score! Back to Chloe now.

I rewind time so that the locker is locked again with a padlock.

I let William go, but defended David... Would Chloe hate me if she found out?

I went down stairs and called Chloe.

"Yo, Chloe, are you ready? I need to get back to my dorm!"

"Are we happy?" Chloe came down the stairs.

"Very happy. I hit the secret file jackpot. Kate, Nathan, and Rachel. Plus, there are some location coordinates. David is, like, a one-man surveillance army. Now let's get out of here, before we get caught."

"Now let's find out what Nathan is hiding in his room," Chloe said.

"We have to be extra careful."

"Max, now is the time for Nathan Prescott to be afraid of us."

We got in the truck and drove away.

.

.

.

We arrived at the Blackwell campus area, went straight to the dormitory.

"I was... I was a complete jerk for blowing a fuse when Kate called the other day. I didn't know what she was going through. I stopped you from being her friend. But you saved her... as did I."

We entered the Hostel at Blackwell. Mr. Jefferson approached us.

"Hey, Max. How are you?" he greeted.

I was suddenly embarrassed and the blood must have rushed to my cheeks until they turned red for some stupid reason. "Oh, hi, Mr. Jefferson. I'm fine. Um, and this is... my friend Chloe."

"Yo."

"Chloe, why doesn't someone as cool as you go to Blackwell?" asked Mr. Jefferson.

"I'm too cool for this school. Long story. In the actual files here," Chloe answered.

"I can imagine. Max, are you sure you're okay?"

"It's weird being suspended and just walking around campus," I said.

"Well, you're an adult now. This isn't prison, right?"

"Not until we get the orange jumpsuit."

He chuckled. "On that note, duty calls Blackwell. Remember, I'll be announcing the winners of the "Everyday Heroes" contest tonight at the party, so I hope you're there to celebrate. While I'm sorry you didn't include a photo, I understand your reasoning. You don't can force an artist to work."

"I feel like a total loser, but it's been a hard week to focus. No pun intended," I said.

"I'm proud of you for caring so much about a friend in trouble. And I hope in the fact that you have plenty of time to find your way. Just... get used to putting your work out there."

"Thank you, Mr. Jefferson. I'll definitely be there tonight," I said.

"Me too. I'll be Max's date. You better dance with us at least once," Chloe chimed in.

"No one has to watch me dance. Plus, you don't want to watch an old hipster try to keep up with the kids... I've got self-respect. Meet you."

"Yes, you will."

Chloe was still staring at Mr. Jefferson as he left.

"Too sexy for a teacher," Chloe commented.

"Disgusting! You're out of control," I said.

"Not yet. Just wait until it goes berserk tonight."

"Ugh, shut up."

"Don't be jealous because Mark Jefferson thinks I'm cool."

"I really ignored you," I said as I took him along and laughed amusedly.

"Okay. Since I'm here, I'll see if I can get some news from Justin. I haven't talked to him in a while."

"Now that's a good plan."

Chloe goes to talk to Justin.

Let's see if I can find out where Nathan is....

.

.

.

.

UPDATES EVERY MONDAY.