15. SEARCH

It's a relief not to have to be in an argument.

I went into the garage. I think I need to get into David's computer. He must be hiding something.

No password needed... How about "stepdouche"... Try again! I need more pointers...

I searched David's garage and found a receipt from the Two Whales Diner behind David's car window. Joyce might as well have written "Let's get married." On the other side of the receipt there is a date. This is the day they first met. That might be a useful password... 11-27-08.

I entered the password to David's laptop and managed to unlock it. Score! Max the Hacker strikes again!

I was astonished. There is a collection of articles and photos of Rachel.

ARCADIA BAY POLICE REPORT.

File number: 678

Rachel Amber, 18, was picked up from Blackwell Academy for possession of a controlled substance. This was reported by David Madsen, head of campus security who caught him hiding a bag suspected of carrying prohibited substances......

----------------------------

Note : Rachel has been playing hooky all week?

--------------------------------

Note: Frank and Rachel meet again.

-----------------------------------------

Note: Rachel avoids her dorm.

-----------------------------------------

Note: Follow Rachel to the lighthouse.

Wow, spoiler alert! Rachel is really making out with Frank? But why does David care?

Next there is Kate's profile... Photos of Kate when she was on campus.

Note: Kate always follows the same path in college.

Note: Overheard Kate talking to Dana about supplies for the Vortex Club party. Drugs?

Note: Kate always spends more time in the bathroom. Drugs?

Note : Saw Kate helping Jefferson after class. Never trust middle-aged men.

-------------------------

Instead of spying on him, David could help her....

I pressed the next button and found my profile. He even had a copy of my student ID and class schedule.

Hah... This is scary.

I better tell Chloe about this now... Just one more thing to make her sad.... And crazy.

I approached Chloe. At the same time, David enters the house.

"Nice breakfast," said David.

"David, are you back?" Joyce asked approaching him.

David walked into the dining room where we were. "I had to take a nap after writing the vandalism report last night."

"What happened?"

"Some little bastards got into the pool. This is what happens at P.C. college bullshit. Entitled students take over the campus!"

"Do you know for sure that it was a Blackwell student?" Joyce asked.

"Who else will do it? And I will destroy them."

David turned to me.

"I already knew you were here. Is that your Rachel Amber Halloween costume?" He stood before me in an interrogatory tone, looking at me with sharp eyes and for a second I was frightened by his thick mustache. The uniform intimidates me.

I straightened my head. "You know more about her than I do."

"No, you and Chloe think you know more than anyone. Like all teenagers."

"Leave Max alone, David. Stop threatening students." Joyce helped me.

"He threatened them with CCTV. So he can spy on everyone... like he spies on all of us here," said Chloe.

"Don't start, Chloe." David turned to face Chloe.

"Yeah, I always start shit, don't I? You're really paranoid, David."

"Not now, Chloe."

"You called me a loser back then for getting kicked out of Blackwell... So who's the loser now, David? Who haven't you accused or bullied? In between your investigations into Rachel and Kate, what have you done besides getting in trouble?"

I went forward to face him. "You're a bully, David. I saw you harass Kate Marsh when she was having a hard time. You could have really helped her. Everyone at Blackwell is suspect to you, except Nathan Prescott... That's why the students and faculty don't like you. You even threatened me. I respect your service, but you don't respect anyone."

David snorted even more annoyed. "Uh... you smoked weed in Chloe's room. That's illegal."

"So is spying on people in your family and at your workplace. Why do you have photos of Kate Marsh and Rachel Amber in your files?" I asked demandingly. I can feel now all the gazes are piercing David's direction.

"What? Is that true, Max?" Joyce was stunned. "Yes, David, why do you have those files? I find this very disturbing."

"I don't need to do this kind of interrogation. Not from you bastards!" he snapped at me.

"Maybe you should calm down," Joyce said.

"Oh, you're turning on me now? Of course, women always stick together. Well, to hell with you!" David snapped again.

"David... you better go to the hotel until we find the answer."

"You can't throw me out of my own house!"

Joyce shook her head. "This is my house, David. Paid for and in my name. You know the law, right?"

"I thought I knew a lot of things... like when I was surrounded."

Chloe almost laughed, but she struggled to suppress her smile. "Have a nice day."

Joyce sighed heavily. "Chloe, for once... please just shut up."

David went to the door that led to the backyard. Joyce sat at the table. Chloe walked towards the front door of the house.

I hope Joyce doesn't hate me for tearing David apart.

I walked towards the backyard and approached David.

"I don't want to see or hear you anymore, Max. You've hurt me and my family enough," he said before I even got in front of him.

I looked down tiredly. Feelings of guilt began to consume me.

I went inside and met Joyce.

"Max, don't blame yourself. David got this all on his own, understand?" she said calming me down.

I nodded then walked to the front door to meet Chloe.

"Max, that gives me the creeps. And you better not back out on this one!"

We left the house and drove to the Two Whales Restaurant. Even though what I did might have been right, I still felt bad about getting David kicked out.

.

.

.

.

UPDATES EVERY MONDAY.