19. NEGOTIATION

"MAX, are we cool?

Just wanted to check since you just left. Nathan was also worried. If you want a friend to chat with, chat with me, k? Love U!"

The message from Victoria when I just left the dorm made me frown.

I have to take the bus to get to Chloe's house.

On the way on the bus, I checked my cell phone again.

There is an old message from Nathan.

"Max, I loved your photo shoot with Jefferson! He really captured the beauty of your features. If you want, we could hang out and 'have fun.'"

This must have been right before Nathan and I.....

There is an old message from my mother.

"Max, we're glad you went to Blackwell, but your expenses are outrageous. You should know that your scholarship doesn't cover everything. I wonder if it's that expensive to go to school there buying stuff."

I replied: "Mom, I'm busy. Don't text me during study time. And YES. I need it to buy film, since you know I use a stupid polaroid camera that always has to be refilled. Besides, I don't use it to buy a new camera!"

I was shocked to read how rude I was to my mother.

Below that was another, more recent message from me to my mother.

"Mom, I haven't used much money since Nathan bought me the newest digital camera as a birthday present and STOP warning me about him because I love him."

I put my phone in and opened my journal. It seems that in this timeline I rarely write a diary.

September 21, 2013

Yes, I'm older and thanks to Vic and Nathan I'm a little more fashionable now too. They surprised me with the most beautiful straw pie hats, and gifts wrapped furashiki style.

Best birthday party ever. Also, the drunkest. I can't sleep.

Maybe I'll call Nathan and take a trip to McD's under the stars.

October 4, 2013

Hey, diary darling. Remember me?

Busy. Max is busy. Busy.

Can't write now. Must take photos.

Must live. Must be friends.

I have an event with Victoria setting up a Vortex Club party. AND see if Zach has a cool playlist. I have to answer Nathan's text before he text bombs.

Oh, I have to contact Chloe too...

I closed my journal and put it in my bag. Although there are many differences, in this timeline no matter what, my love for photography and for Chloe has not changed.

I arrived at Chloe's house. William invited me in and I went straight to Chloe's room. Her room is in a room that should be a garage, her room is no longer on the roof like in my timeline.

I opened the door and found my best friend lying on the bed.

"This is a high-tech hive," I said.

Chloe smiled welcoming me. "It feels like a high-tech cell, but I'm lucky my parents work hard to take care of me. I know it's hard for them."

"They're grateful you're here with them."

I sat in the chair next to his bed. Chloe looked at me strangely.