9. PROOF

I left Kate's room and went out of the dorm. In the yard there were still several people playing baseball and Taylor - Victoria's friend sitting under a tree reading. I ignored them and immediately headed for the gate, but there was Warren who was standing leaning against the support pillar of the principal's dormitory building while playing on his cellphone. Warren had come out early too, as if he was waiting for someone.

"Max! Take a look at this!"

I approached him. "Warren, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, that's fine – waiting. For a call? I mean, I already got a call... Anyway, I want to talk about yesterday's action."

"It was intense. It all happened so fast. I owe you."

"Oh, yeah, right. I got my ass kicked by that dick. I'm a personal superhero," Warren said making me laugh.

"You are truly Everyday Heroes. You stood up to bullies and it was awesome."

"Even though you left me with that bully and ran off with that girl... She's a punk rock beauty, how do you know her?" Warren asked.

"An old friend. Chloe Price? We haven't seen each other for a while," I answered.

"I'm sure you loved watching her explode in that truck like a rock star. Which begs the question--why does Nathan Prescott drive you crazy?"

"He's dangerous," I said. "I don't want you to get involved. You helped me get out of there, but shut up, Nathan Prescott will get his karma soon."

"What a weird week. Like yesterday's weird snowfall. Speaking of dystopian, the drive-in was having a '70s Planet of the Apes marathon." Come on, Go Ape!" said Warren.

"Yeah, that's what I need. I love those old school monkey movies."

"Well, that was easier than I thought. Cool. I'll send you the info," Warren said. "I have to tell Brooke that I'm going to the movies with you. I'll text you later?"

"Okay."

I walked out of the dorm.

Not long after, there was an incoming message from an unknown number.

"This is Nathan's father.

This is a message to let you know that attempts to slander and extort my son will be met with many lawyers and legal consequences.

You're not the first Blackwell student to do this.

I hope you are the last.

Consider this a final polite warning."

It's strange that Nathan's father bothered to terrorize me. That bastard must have done it himself. Terrorizing with messages on your cell phone is not at all manly.

I walked across Main Campus. There's David Madsen and Nathan Prescott arguing. David talking to Nathan wasn't anything good. This has to have something to do with Kate... or Rachel...

A yellow school bus came. I got in and sat in the back seat and put in my earphones. I stared out the window as the streets of Arcadia Bay passed by.

The bus stopped in front of the Two Whales Diner. I got off and went straight to the restaurant.

Talk about going back in time... the restaurant looks exactly the same. A sign with an adult whale and a small whale says Two Whales Diner. I pushed open the door, which was made of light iron with a small circle window with a Rachel Amber poster plastered in the middle.

Gosh, the smell of breakfast and the sound of clinking cutlery... Makes me feel like I'm thirteen again...

The lights were flashing strangely when I entered. The ceiling fan rotates slowly clockwise. Two policemen sat at the bar counter sipping their coffee in mugs. On the plate they only left pieces of omelet.