20. INVESTIGATION

I opened my eyes.

Right in front of me was a cardboard mural that Chloe and I had painted when we were younger, now turned into an investigation board. There are many papers of information that we have collected.

I was in Chloe's room on the roof, not in the garage, and everything was as intact as I remembered. Wardrobe, messy bed, and... Chloe sat at the study table. In good health.

"Chloe...you're back!" I ran to hug my blue haired best friend.

"Oh yeah, now you suddenly want to kiss me? You had your chance."

"I just...I just--I'm so happy you're here!"

"You sound high, but thanks for the morning grope. Since we stayed up all night playing "CSI: Arcadia Bay", I'm still daydreaming here, trying to piece together all this info."

I sat on the edge of Chloe's bed.

"Max, have you forgotten we already discussed this? I hope you don't play with time while I'm sleeping."

"Not anymore. I was spacing out too."

Welcome back to the real world, Max... I don't think I'll ever be able to tell Chloe what happened.

I got up from bed.

"Let's look at the big board and see all our pieces in the puzzle so far."

I checked the board and all the papers stuck to it.

There are files on Rachel, Kate, and Nathan....

"So close, yet so far... We have to do three main things," I said.

"Right...uh, what thing?" Chloe asked.

"One, crack Frank's notebook. Two, get Nathan's phone to find out where he was during the Vortex Club party with Kate and Rachel. And see whatever is hidden in his messages."

"Three, beat the step-douche until he tells us about Frank, Nathan, and the "Dark Room"," Chloe said. "It's a pity that I don't have any more weapons..."

"Yes, that's the solution," I replied. "Chloe, we have to do it ourselves."

"Dude, at least let me beat him, then replay--Fine, whatever, that's your power."

"Which I can't afford to waste on something like that. Or Blackwell will be in big trouble."

"You didn't even let me take the money to pay Frank."

"And I'm glad. We have to be better than that," I said.

"I know. You should busy yourself in the garage to see what dirt you can dig up. I'll go cyberstalker. And watch out for the step-crack. He won't be a happy camper after you changed him yesterday, and Mom gave him shoes bot..."

"Okay, I'll go, partner."

I can't abuse this level of my recoil power... It's too dangerous, and I have to get through the present without messing with the past...

I left Chloe's room and went downstairs.

David stood by the door holding the suitcase and looking at the photos on the cork board. I approached him.

"You won this battle, Max. You destroyed my family. I salute you."

"David, I'm not trying to hurt you. Never. But I won't let anyone hurt Chloe," I said.

"It's too late, isn't it? You'd better be careful with him. Don't wander around in the dark," said David.

I ask. "What do you mean by "dark place"?"