16. THE POWER OF RACHEL AMBER

Chloe's CAR stopped in front of the Two Whales Restaurant.

"Listen, when I went through David's laptop, I found a picture of Rachel and Frank...more than just friends," I said.

"That's right. No way, Max. She was just posing to tease Frank."

I shook my head. "If you're not going to believe me, why don't we check out what Frank has in his RV?"

"What will it prove?" Chloe asked.

"Frank has Rachel's bracelet. What else does he have there?"

"Bastard is better off having nothing. For her sake."

We looked straight out the restaurant window and Frank was there. He was having breakfast in the restaurant. We got out of the car.

Chloe slammed her car door. "Let's check the door. Frank is so drunk he sometimes forgets to lock it."

We approached the RV.

"I can't believe you're hanging out with him," I said.

"Not anymore. We have to be normal ninjas here."

Chloe tries to open the door; locked, and Pompidou started barking from inside.

"Nonsense. OK, here's the plan. I'll go to the restaurant and distract Frank by telling him I have the money, but he has to come with me. Then you go in and rewind time so Frank doesn't see me, then you can tell Frank he needs to checked the RV and then you rewind time after you got the key, and... uh... and..."

I held his hand. "Chloe, leave it to me. I'll be right back."

I walked towards the restaurant.

Chloe screamed. "Don't let my great plans get in the way of yours. I'll try to find Scooby snacks to distract his mutt."

Now I had to find a quick and easy way to grab Frank's keys.

A text came in from my dad.

Maxine. Pop here. Sorry I didn't call sooner. I know you're upset but your mom and I know you did everything you could to save that girl. Some things are out of our control. And if you want to go back home now to relax and maybe go to a nearby college, the door is wide open. Love, Dad.

I replied.

Thanx Pop. It's been intense here. But I'm not ready to go home yet. Talk to you later. Maxoxo.

As I walked beside the restaurant, a dead bird surrounded by ants caught my attention. Look at that... so sad, disturbing, and beautiful all at once... what a great photo.

I bent down to take a photo.

Very unpleasant...

I just realized that's not my style. I hate catching suffering creatures.

I entered the restaurant. The smell of bacon made my stomach growl again. Oh my, bacon... I'm ready for another nosh. But I need to get that key from Frank.

Frank sat in the east area of the restaurant at the end of the bench with a plate full of peas and a glass of Coke. I approached him while he was sitting staring at his peas which he was just poking lazily with a fork.

He raised his head as I approached.

"You show up after almost shooting me? You have some serious balls, little girl. But hanging out with Chloe, playing with guns and dressing like Rachel doesn't make you cool or tough. What do you want?" he asked in the quiet voice of the rumble of ignited embers.

"How do you know these are Rachel's clothes?"

"Because she looks good in it and you look like an ass. Pointing a gun doesn't make you sexier."