1. COCOON

"WHOA!"

It was so surreal.

I gasped for air. My eyes swept across the room.

The clock is ticking, I'm in class.

There is no rain water. There is no storm.

I was drenched in sweat, nothing else. I wasn't near the lighthouse either. And even better, there were no tornadoes.

Everything is fine. I'm fine.

What happened? I didn't sleep and it was definitely not a dream. Strange.

My lecturer, the perfect Mr. Jefferson, walked while explaining the photography course. He wore a black suit with copper brown hair illuminated by sunlight from the window.

Across from me, Taylor crumpled up the paper and threw it at Kate. The blonde girl buried her face without intending to reply. Poor Kate. I kind of forgot why people like to bully her these days.

Especially Victoria Chase. Rich, stylish, entitled. I could feel the INSTANT JUDGMENT as she stared at my tattered ass clothes. It's as if I'm at Blackwell to strike a fashion pose. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I think Victoria wants life here to be like her own reality show. Ouch...

Victoria's cell phone rang.

"Diane Arbus!" Victoria exclaimed in response to Mr. Jefferson.

"That's it, Victoria! Why Arbus?"

Too lazy to listen to it again.

I looked down and gathered my things on the table. Look at this trash photo. A retro style photo with me as the object faces a wall decoration in the form of a collection of other photos of me. I took it myself to take part in the Everyday Heroes contest, a prestigious competition every photographer dreams of.

The Everyday Heroes Photo Contest is a national competition for people to submit one image on approved paper that best represents themselves or another person in heroic action. The winner will fly to San Francisco and represent their school at the Zeitgeist Gallery on October 11. How can I show this to Mr. Jefferson? I can hear everyone in class laughing at me now.

Beside it I still have the pencil case I had from first grade in middle school. I should upgrade it to a more 21st century model, but I'd prefer something vintage.

I also still have my journal, where I can write down a few of my complaints before and after being at Blackwell Academy, my dream campus, which turns out dreaming is much easier than living it.

I drew a little about the strange dream in my journal, and as I usually do, it took an artistic touch. I had to take a portrait of myself to prove that I was still here.

I took out my Polaroid instant camera and took a picture of myself stunned by the flash of light and the hiss of the sound.

"Sshhh... I believe Max just took a - what kids these days call - selfie. A stupid word for a photography technique. And Max... has talent."

I put down my camera and looked down, as if that would eliminate all the eyes that were looking at me.

"Of course, as you all already know, photo portraits have been popular since the early 1800s. Your generation is not the first to use images for selfie expression. Sorry," said Mr. Jefferson was blunt. "I can not stand."

I was still listening with my head down because I couldn't make eye contact with him, for some reason, it was so ridiculous. Mr Jefferson was not only one of the best photographers in the world, he was also my professor. AND ONE OF THE REASONS I WANT TO COME TO BLACKWELL. How often can you be mentored by your inspiration?