3. RACHEL AMBER

WHEN I just walked out of the building, I met Ms. Grant is a science lecturer carrying stacks of papers.

"Ms. Grant, you seem to be having a hard time with that, may I help you?"

"Max? I know everyone loves being asked to sign petitions, but will you do me a favor and listen to me?"

"Sure, I always have time for you. What's the petition?"

"David Madsen, our head of security, wants to install surveillance cameras around campus. Halls, classrooms, gym, dorm rooms, etc. Blackwell Academy is supposed to be a high school, not a high-security penitentiary."

"I think a camera could help Rachel. I can see both sides."

"You're fair-minded, Max. And we all pray that Rachel will be found safe and well, bless her soul, but this petition is not about her. Blackwell Academy has a glorious heritage, from the Native Americans who founded this land, to the pioneers who share it in peace, not fear and violence."

"Blackwell that old? That's amazing," I said.

"You should learn a little history about your alma mater. You'll find out some interesting facts. There's a lot of power in this area. I think it helps the creative juices flow around here... Now before I give you homework with this lecture, would you sign the petition so that our campus doesn't return to 1984?"

"Of course. I don't mind security, but not...pure surveillance."

I signed the petition.

"I know you are my favorite new student at Blackwell for good reason."

Then she left. I don't have a problem with the campus not being installed with CCTV, it's actually good. Plus it felt good not to obey that pretentious security chief David Madsen any more.

So I walked towards my dorm, but Hayden sitting under a tree doing assignments caught my attention.

Hayden is one of the Vortex Club-lovers. He always lives in his dreams...

"Hey, Hayden."

"That's it, the retro selfie master."

"That's me, alright. You look relaxed as usual, Hayden."

"This is a skill developed at Blackwell. Especially when one represents the Vortex Club. Not to brag."

"So you know Rachel Amber?"

"I know she likes to party. Hah, it's fun to be around her. Oh yeah, and she's hot."

"What do you think happened to her?"

"Oh, whatever happens to people who disappear without a trace."

I became more and more suspicious, but I knew I couldn't get anything more out of him. So I left him and went to Stella who was talking to someone. Stella always looks serious and dedicated to whatever she does. Maybe she knows something...

"Hello, Stella."

"Hey, I know you! You're the new quiet girl in Jefferson's class. Isn't he amazing?"

I smile. "I think so. We are lucky to have such a famous teacher. And I really like him..."

"Me too. His urban New York stuff is great, but I'm glad he's back to his roots in Oregon. To hell with the East Coast elite. That must have pissed off the pretentious galleries that Mark Jefferson taught us about photography in Blackwell hicks.. plus he's pretty hot for an older guy. If Victoria doesn't get the hang of it, I definitely will."

I'm laughing. "Victoria is pretty clear. I don't think Jefferson likes her."

"I don't think he closed the deal, but she wasn't the only player..."