It took a moment for Ranald to reply. Twelve to fifteen hours. Didn't you read up on it before you did it? Charlotte may sleep longer though because she had a lot of healing to do, and her wolf will need the time to recover.

Caleb didn't respond. Changing someone into a werewolf wasn't something he had done before, though his father had done so many times. He had changed Ragnar into a werewolf. Caleb knew it was possible, but he had forgotten about it in his four hundred years of life. He wondered if that was the reason the midwife had told him to give Charlotte his blood. The woman was older than him.

He suddenly spotted the book on the bedside table that Charlotte had been reading. A History of the Alpha King. He was surprised to see that she had been reading it. He laid back himself and began to read.

A few hours later, his mother mind linked him.

Caleb, would you like me to come up and sit with Charlotte while you eat dinner?

He frowned as he glanced out the window again. Yes, it was almost that time. He'd been so caught up in reading the book, he'd lost track. Charlotte hadn't moved, and he hoped if he left, she wouldn't start having nightmares. Yeah, that's fine.

Are you in your room? His mother asked

No, we're in hers, he responded without thinking.

And where might that be?

Caleb glanced up from his book at her question, and rubbed his hand over his face, reminding himself that his mother was aware that Charlotte was his mate. Then he stopped himself. It didn't matter anymore. Charlotte was in her rightful place. She always had been. He'd been so busy trying to keep himself from getting hurt again, he'd succeed in hurting them both. She's staying in the Luna Queen's suite.

It took several long moments before his mother slipped into the room that was formally her own. She smiled at him, as Caleb got up.

"How is she?"

"Fine I guess. She's been asleep for a long time, hasn't really moved." He took a deep breath. "She has nightmares. She sleeps better when I'm here. If she starts to have one, link me right away."

"Why is she having nightmares?" Melinda looked at Charlotte with concern.

"I don't know," Caleb admitted.

She looked at him sharply. "Caleb, how do you not know? You know how to fix them, but you don't know why she has them?"

"No."

"Caleb.." his mother sighed and took the book from his hands. "Go eat. If Charlotte starts to have a nightmare, I will link you. And please ask her about them. What kind of relationship do you have with this girl?"

HIs face turned red and he looked away.

"She's your mate!" his mother whisper yelled. "What is wrong with you?"

Storm smirked at him. 'See? I'm not the only one who thinks you're an idiot.'

"I ..." Caleb sighed. "I'm going down to eat."

Melinda crossed her arms, and shook her head. "I thought I raised you with more sense." She sat down on the window seat and opened the book.

Caleb left the room, and headed downstairs. He entered the dining room and could feel every eye of his pack on him. The head table was full; only he and his mother were missing. He headed up and sat down, and dinner began.

***

Charlotte finally woke early the following morning. She stretched, and realized all of the soreness was gone. 'Rain?"