She turned her head and spotted the pile of books she'd brought up from the library. She'd read through just about all of them. She stood and walked over to the pile and sifted through them until she pulled out one.

A History of the Alpha King

She moved over to the window seat and settled down, then opened the book to read.

Caleb didn't come to her bed that night which didn't really surprise her. She'd read until it got too dark to see, then sat watching the lights from the bonfires. Everyone was celebrating late into the night. She eventually crawled into bed and cried herself to sleep.

Her sleep was plagued with more nightmares as she dreamed of Caleb's parents preventing her from rescuing her own from the burning ship.

***

Weeks passed, and while Caleb would come to her most nights, she continued to fall further and further into the darkness.

She skipped meals and while she helped out in the kitchen most days, she didn't always go to tea. Ragnar was too busy most of the time for her, and she found herself spending the majority of her time alone.

She has no idea when Caleb visited the bath house as she never saw him there. The only time she saw him during the day was at meals, where he completely ignored her.

When he came to her at night, they barely talked. She just spread her legs for him like the obedient slave that she was and allowed him to use her all he wanted. And Caleb was insatiable.

Some nights he kept her up most of the night, bedding her over and over again until she could barely hold her eyes open. Other nights, he would bed her, let her sleep, then wake her up to bed her again.

He was always attentive to her needs, never leaving her unsatisfied. She'd fall asleep in his arms, and those were the best nights as she never has nightmares. She almost felt normal when she was with him, and not like his lonely slave. She could pretend that they were a happily married couple.

It was when he didn't come to her that she didn't sleep well. Her sleep was plagued with her nightmares and they were progressively getting worse. She'd watched her parents die over and over again, their screams haunting her.

Charlotte had gotten to the point where she hated to sleep when Caleb wasn't in her bed. She'd try to keep herself awake those nights, hoping he'd come to her

She also was aware that she'd fallen for Caleb. She hated herself for it, but she was in love with him. It hurt that he ignored her. It hurt that he only saw her as his whore, to use when he pleased. It hurt that he didn't really even talk to her. He'd just come to her bed, strip her bare, and work his magic. She loved it and hated it.

***

Caleb stared at the message he'd received from the Alpha of Northumbria, requesting his presence. He sighed. He hadn't been there since Sophia's coming out ball and he had no desire to go now. But the Alpha had specifically requested his presence.

He debated about taking Roland or Ragnar with him but decided against it. Roland was too wrapped up in his new mate right now to be away from her for any length of time, and Ragnar would need to be left in charge.

He mind linked Ragnar to come to his office. The blond wolf walked in a few moments later and sat down.

"I've been called to Northumbria for a meeting," Caleb said, steepling his fingers together.

"Northumbria? Would you rather I went instead?" Ragnar knew this trip would be difficult for the Alpha.

"No, he specifically requested me. I'm leaving you in charge. Roland will be busy with Penny," Caleb said.