bribery is my love language

trigger warnings at the end of the oneshot

if dream wasn't so heavy-footed, he would be skipping right now.

he won't though, because he doesn't want his housemates to go live and do another reenactment of how he walks and closes doors. they made him seem like a stompy giant, which is totally untrue because dream is like... well, he's not a stompy giant.

dream has seen the clip a million times now, and he still gives sapnap the odd glare for mistaking his footsteps as a literal earthquake.

anyway, not the point.

the point is, dream is very happy and very, very excited. hence the skipping. or, the internal skipping, because if he actually skipped- well, you get the point.

dream leaves the bag of clothes by their christmas tree, looking over it as he does. he thinks it's funny how they almost had their last tree up for a full year, and they absolutely would've if it hadn't been for dream jumping on it for a tiktok. still, they had a lot of fun redecorating and making it all pretty again since patches had pulled off half the baubles throughout the year.

anyway, still not the point. dream vaguely tries to remember if he took his adhd meds that morning but the line of thought quickly gets boring so he dismisses the minor concern and forces himself to focus on the original topic of interest.

christmas sweaters.

handmade christmas sweaters, from his mom.

she crocheted each one individually, and even bought an old sewing machine so she could line the inside of a mini-sweater for patches in a material that would be nice and soft against her fur.

dream's mom has always been thoughtful like that, considering a thing like feline irritation when others just wouldn't. making sweaters for the three housemates alone was beyond kind and selfless, even if dream had specifically asked for her to.

when he had originally asked, probably over a month ago now, he hadn't even really thought she would do it. the blond presumed they would both forget and his dream would go locked away until next year, until he would think of it all over again.

but no, his dream is coming true already.

his number one biggest dream (kind of, not really) is to have him, sapnap and george, all dressed up in ugly christmas sweaters and taking silly little photos under their christmas tree like a bunch of idiots. now with patches too!

except, dream's dream (funny) isn't coming true just yet. getting the sweaters was a small mole-hole in the journey, convincing sapnap and george to agree is a bloody canyon.

dream looks over at a gentle jingling, smiling as patches strolls into the room. "hey little kitty," he greets in a high voice, squatting down by the tree. he purses his lips and runs his fingers together as he makes a little pstpstpst sound, smiling wider when she walks over and headbutts his hand.

he turns his hand over to stroke her soft fur.

"you'll look so pretty in your sweater, won't you baby?" dream speaks softly. he leans forward slowly so he doesn't startle her before scooping the cat up into his arms. "momma didn't make a sweater for milo or naomi, so you're still the favourite," he tells her, rubbing the side of his finger along her cheeks.