(don't let the bells end)

trigger warnings at the end of the oneshot

punz feels himself flinch at the sudden rumble of thunder outside. he knew it was coming, since the whole room flashed with lightning just moments before, but it still managed to effectively startle him.

punz has always been terrified of storms, ever since he was a child, when he can remember falling asleep in his parents' bed because he was too terrified to be alone when there was banging and flashing in the sky outside.

he doesn't remember the last time there was a storm this bad, but he is constantly right on the edge of his seat.

mario kart is playing on the tv opposite him but he can't focus on the game or the shouts of his friends when his heart is thumping like it is, beating in his head just as loud as the crashing outside.

none of his friends even seem to take note of the raucous outside, besides a brief, "oh, it's storming," comment made by one of the girls.

he doesn't see how they can ignore it when it's practically shaking the house and sending literal shivers down his spine.

his throat feels tight with nerves and his hands are shaky with the effort it's taking him to not outwardly freak out in front of anyone.

if sapnap was here, punz knows the ravenette would be by his side, offering to go hide away in a room and calm down from the fright, but none of his other friends would even contemplate it because punz is too embarrassed to tell anyone else about his phobia.

it was hard enough when sapnap found out, and that wasn't even on purpose, it was just impossible to hide it when the two of them were midway through a movie night and the blond broke down into a rib-crushing panic attack.

the reminder of that memory, and the thought of the people around him all seeing him in that state, is enough motivation for him to haul himself up from the couch.

faces turn to watch him, clearly confused by his abrupt movement, so he steels his expression and tries to grip onto some loose threads of composure as he says, "back in a minute."

he knows that his attempt at seeming stable cracked the moment he spoke in such a soft, unsure voice, but clearly it wasn't a big enough break for people to see, as the general reaction is a nod before they turn away again.

a few pairs of eyes stain him as he turns to leave, and punz holds his breath as he walks out as if that will stop him from shaking.

luckily, he's halfway up the stairs and out of sight before the next crack of thunder sounds outside, the flash of lightning unseen because of the halls lacking windows.

he flinches dramatically this time, his strength quickly deteriorating. with no one to stay strong in front of, it's like punz's body gives up trying.

his heart drops down to the bottom of his stomach and his lungs constrict to the point of needing to gasp in a sudden inhale.

punz blesses the fact that he is at least in his own home as he quickly retreats into his bedroom and closes the door behind him.

punz is fully capable of crawling into bed and sobbing out right now. it would be easy for him to lie down and completely shatter, giving in to the breathlessness and the fear.