soccer season

trigger warnings at the end of the oneshot

dream has always been seen as a practical joke to the boys at his school. well, not always, but ever since he joined the cheerleading squad.

it frustrates him, that he has to cheer for the same people that snicker at him in the school halls and ask him disgustingly vulgar questions as if it accentuates their masculinity to flirt with a gay man. he fights through it though, because he loves the sport and he loves the people he does it with.

dream is the only guy on the squad. initially, it was a little frustrating to have so much female attention and having to tell each girl after the next that he isn't straight, but the team quickly worked past that point and he became just as respected as any other member. in fact, now, he is semi-idolised within their group.

being the only man and the member with the best upper body and arm strength, dream is an essential part to most of their cheers and practically every lift that they attempt. they need him as the foundation of their wow-factor moments.

the sport makes him happy. he gets a lot of exercise, of course, and the social aspect that comes with it also makes him very happy. there aren't many cons, besides the minor teasing and the fact that all of the other gays in the school avoid him because they think he's a bitch - it's a stereotype, he knows that, but it frustrates him that he can't build himself a space in the lgbtq community because of it.

he has a few online friends who identify as queer in one way or another, so it's not like he's completely alone in his journey through self-discovery and acceptance.

today, dream spent his evening doing the final cheer of the soccer season. soccer usually ends with fall at their school, very rarely seeping into early winter. this year, the final game was put off for so long that they didn't get around to it until today, december 1st.

it brought a sense of excitement to the game, with everyone buzzing over the official start to the countdown to christmas and the knowledge that school would be wrapping up in a few weeks. the game was one of the last school events planned before winter break that people actually cared about, so a lot of their school turned up.

the team cheered regularly throughout the game, usually after a goal or another particularly impressive moment, as well as performing a longer routine during halftime when the soccer teams from each school went off to discuss tactics for the second round.

cheering is always very physically challenging, more than most people would probably assume, but dream discovered that the sport is a million times harder in the biting winter temperatures. he warmed up while moving around in half-time but, generally, he was shivering on the sidelines in his stupid t-shirt and pants. he didn't understand how the girls could continue on in their skirts without literally dying from the dropping temperatures.

their school won, which resulted in an onslaught of students running onto the home field with screams and far too much energy. even despite thinking most of the people he goes to school with are dicks, dream enjoyed the atmosphere of the collective moment.

he even got a few compliments on his moments in the cheer routine, and the things he had done to support the other cheer girls, so that made him feel giddy in a way he always loved.

it would be a lie to say that dream didn't mainly start cheering for attention, so it always feels good when the looks and words he receives are actually kind, rather than the incessant jokes he has grown used to.

dsmp christmas oneshotsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara