93

EMERY HAS BEEN FEELING like shit since she woke up with Klaus beside her– not that they did anything except talk and sleep. It didn't help that minutes after she woke up, she received a text from Stefan asking her to meet her at the boarding house and as it turned out, Klaus received the same message.

The witch and the hybrid entered the Boarding house only to find Caroline cleaning the house, getting rid of the empty cups from the party that had taken place last night. Upon seeing them, the blonde vampire looked up, her eyes flickering to Emery instantly. "Hey, Em."

Emery flashed her a smile. Caroline was one of the truest friend she's ever had and she was glad that the blonde still remained friendly with her despite what the others thought. Before she could return the greeting, Stefan walked in. "Glad you showed up."

"What was so important that you needed us here so early?" Klaus asked, raising a brow at the vampire.

"We need your help," Stefan stated, looking as serious as ever, "I think Silas is in mystic falls. Some blood went missing from a few hospitals."

"And why should we help you?" Klaus tilted his head to the side, feigning confusion and curiosity. "I mean, considering that when we had no part to play in Silas's awakening? In fact, if I recall correctly, my brother warned you a couple of thousands time what would happen if you were to wake Silas up. But you and your friends went ahead and did it anyway."

"I needed the cure," was all what Stefan said, his eyes holding a silent plea. He was in desperate need for their help and they knew it.

"That played out well," Emery muttered, walking over as she plopped down on the couch. "Your weird desperation to find a cure for Elena cost me a brother and a friend."

"You want me to apologise?" Stefan asked through witch. "Fine, I'm sorry. But please, I need your help. Silas is a very powerful witch— but so are you."

"So," Klaus walked over and gave himself the permission to pour himself a drink. He had his back to the others as he talked, "some blood went missing from a few hospitals. What about Elena? Don't vampires with their humanity off tend to overindulge on human blood?" He turned back to look at Stefan, a drink in each hand. "Or were you the exception?"

"It's not Elena," Stefan said, sounding sure. He narrowed his eyes as Klaus walked over to the couch and handed Emery a glass which she took without saying a word. She felt like she'd need one anyway with the conversation that was currently going on.

"Let's say for a moment that it was Silas," the hybrid sat down beside her, an arm going to rest on the headrest behind her. "I'm struggling to see how this affects us."

"Silas wants to rie and be reunited with his one true love," Stefan responded, uncrossing his arms. "But he's supernatural. It he takes the cure and dies, he's stuck on the other side."

"How Shakespearean," Klaus commented, taking a sip of his drink. He glanced at Emery who was staring at her glass, her brows furrowed as she tried to hold in a gag. For some reason, the smell of it made her want to throw up. Shaking her head, she took a sip either way. She closed her eyes and allowed the bitter taste to coat her tongue, then relaxed at the familiar sensation it gave her.

Klaus shifted his eyes back to Stefan who continued to speak. "If he destroys the other side, he can take the cure, die and pass on. In destroying it, every dead supernatural being will return to our side."

"That means every werewolf, every witch, every vampire." Caroline felt the need to clarify. "I wonder how many of those you've personally killed. Care yet?"

"My interest is piqued," the hybrid muttered, running the tip of his fingers around the edge of his glass. "How do we stop him?"

"Bonnie said Silas needs to complete three massacres to do the spell," Stefan replied, "before Shane died, he convinced the pastor to blow up the council. Next, he had you kill your hybrids. Now, he only needs one more massacre. So if he's here, that's what he's doing. We need to find him."

⎯⎯ ˖

EMERY WALKED IN Shane's office with Klaus, Stefan and Caroline. Her eyes darted around the office, "what are we looking for?"

"Well, if Shane really was working with Silas, chances are he was helping him plan his next move."

"Where, on his evil villain to-do list?" Caroline raised her brows at the two, "'steal blood, perform 3 massacres, pick up dry cleaning'?"

"Actually, not to nit-pick," Klaus shot her an amused look, "but we evil villains usually use minions to pick up our dry cleaning, that sort of thing."

"Why's he here again?" Caroline asked Stefan who replied with, "well, we don't know what Silas can do, so if we do have to go head to head with him, an Original hybrid who can't die might come in handy."

"Besides, Stefan and I work well together, or at least we did in the twenties."

"Well, granted my emotions were off."

"And that's why you were more fun," Klaus bit back, "just as Damon is probably relishing in Elena's emotionless company in New York."

"My brother knows what he's doing," Stefan said firmly earning a look from the hybrid, "does he?" Klaus's eyes flickered to Emery who was busy looking at a couple of books on a shelf. "Don't underestimate the allure of darkness, Stefan. Even the purest hearts are drawn to it."

Emery couldn't help but looked back at him, making him smirk when their eyes met. She sighed then returned back to searching through the shelf.

"Still," Klaus turned his attention back to Stefan, "I'm sure it'll all be fine."

"I think I might have found something," Emery spoke up making them look at her once more. She carried over a large book to the desk behind which Klaus had made himself comfortable. "'Symbolic Figures in the Dark Arts.' Didn't Bonnie talk about Expression Triangles? Here." She pointed at a large, intricate drawing of a triangle. "It's giving Harry Potter."

"Right?" Caroline chuckled, "the dark arts—"

"— It's not the time for that, kids." Stefan shot them an amused look which they brushed off. Then the younger Salvatore began reading from the page opposite, "in some schools of magic such as Expression, human sacrifice can be used as a focus for power. It is rumored that the addition of two supernatural sacrifices compounds the mystical energy, creating an Expression Triangle."

Caroline pointed at a symbol in the drawing. "Humans— that was the council fire." She then pointed at another symbol, "demons— Klaus's hybrid failure."

"Well, I wouldn't exactly call it a failure," Klaus clicked his tongue, "what's the third?"

Emery seemed to have realised it at the same time as the blonde vampire making the two exchange a look, both looking as equally horrified.

"Witches," Emery breathed out, letting the two men in on their guess. "Humans, hybrids—" she looked up from the book, "and witches."