3

EMERY SAT IN HER HISTORY class, her fingers tapping softly on the wooden desk as she waited for the teacher to walk in the classroom.

Movement at the corner of her eyes caught her attention which made her look, finding Elena showing her a poster kind of thing, mouthing, 'what do you think?'

'It sucks,' the brunette mouthed back making the doppleganger frown and Stefan shot her a grin. She then showed it to Bonnie who nodded her head in approval which made Elena smile, shrugging at Emery and Stefan.

Just then, Alaric, who was in fact, Klaus, entered the class. "Hello, class," he greeted, "what are we learning today?"

"With the decade dance tonight, we've been covering the sixties all week." Dana, one of the students, replied.

"Right. The sixties." Klaus nodded as his eyes fell on Elena. He looked at her for a while before his eyes fell on Emery who wasn't paying attention as she drew in her sketchbook— something she'd always carry with her. A smile playing at her lips while her pencil moved on the page.

Klaus decided to ignore the girl and cleared his throat, "the sixties— I wish there was something good I could say about the sixties, but— actually, they kind of sucked. Except for the Beatles, of course. They made it bearable. Uh, what else was there? The Cuban missile thing, the we walked on the moon." He paused for a while, "there was Watergate."

"Watergate was the seventies, Ric." Elena corrected, "I—I mean, Mr. Saltzman."

"Right," he muttered, "It all kind of mushes together up here, the sixties, seventies. Thank you, Elena."

**

ONCE THE CLASS WAS OVER, the students began rushing out for their lunch. Klaus sat on the teacher's table and watched them leave, his eyes lingering on Elena a little longer as she walked out and he couldn't help the smirk that made it's way onto his face.

"That's creepy," a voice startled him making his head snap in the direction of it to find Emery still sitting in her seat, her pencil still between her fingers.

"You're still here," Klaus muttered under his breath, "why haven't you left? It's lunch."

"I'm doing something," she replied, not looking at him as she stared at her drawing. It was a wolf— the head of a wolf. She has always loved wolves although she's never seen one in front of her. "And I never go for lunch. I always stay here, you know that."

"Right, right," Klaus cleared his throat as he stared at the girl, intrigued. "What are you drawing?"

"A wolf," she replied, looking up at him with a smile, "you wanna see?"

"Sure, why not?" Klaus made his way towards her table and looked down at her copybook. "That's not bad— at all, actually. Can I?" He gestured to the sketchbook earning a nod from her. He grabbed it and took a closer look to the drawing before he decided to flip the page, his eyes catching sight of a very familiar drawing.

It was a feather with birds flying out of it. His tattoo design. Klaus's brows raised up at that. "Where did you see this?" He placed the drawing back on the table, allowing her to look.

"In my dreams," she replied with a small shrug.

"And the wolf," Klaus began, giving her a skeptical look, "did you see that in your dreams as well?"

"Yeah," she nodded, "it's rather weird. But whatever. Weird is normal in mystic falls, right?"

Klaus only hummed in response, staring at his tattoo in confusion. "Did you take art?"

"Uh—" she tilted her head to the side, a confused look settling on her face, "no. You've asked me that before. Are you okay? You're being weird— er than usual."

"I'm fine," he brushed it off, reminding himself that he should stay in character, "it's just—"

"— Is it your fight with Jenna?" Emery asked earning a nod from Klaus who did not know what to say. He could not risk blowing up his cover.

Why didn't Katherine tell him about her? Who was she? He wondered.

"It's going to be okay," she reassured, placing her sketchbook in her bag, "I think you should tell her before she finds out from someone else."

"You think?" Klaus asked, a new idea instantly forming in his head. If only she knew.

She hummed and nodded her head, "she wants the truth so you might as well give her it, right?"

"Right," Klaus gave her a small smile, "thank you for this marvelous idea, love."

"Since when do you call people 'love'?" She asked out of curiosity, not suspecting a thing. Klaus bit his tongue as he realised his slip, "I don't. Forget about it."

She checked her phone before letting out a sigh at the message, "gotta go. Bye, Ric. I'll see you tomorrow."

"You won't be coming at the dance?" Klaus asked, raising his brows slightly to which she shook her head, "no, dances aren't my thing. But you have fun." She then walked out of the classroom, not hearing him mumble, "I sure will," under his breath. He was looking forward to that dance.