88

KOL COMPELLED DAMON TO kill Jeremy and that was why Emery found herself walking to Klaus's place where she assumed the original vampire would be.

Even though Kol had been away, they did exchange numbers and they'd text every now and then. Emery was hoping she could convince him to drop the compulsion considering the fact that Jeremy was her brother. It was a long shot but better than anything.

As she stood in front of the mansion, she suddenly found herself nervous. Usually, she'd just barge in since she was staying there. Her things were still in the hybrid's room. However, she hesitated, her hand on the knob. Just as she was about to finally twist it, the door flew open, revealing a familiar face.

Their eyes locked for half a second before Emery adverted her gaze. "Is Kol around?" She asked, getting straight to the point.

The hybrid was silent for a while as he took in her appearance. She didn't look better— like he hoped she would after having broken the curse. Her face was still ever so slightly pale and her eyes looked tired. There were prominent dark circles under her eyes confirming his suspicion that she hadn't been sleeping much. He sucked in a breath.

"Is he?" Emery asked again, wanting nothing more than to leave. She wasn't sure she could stay there for another second. His presence was beginning to suffocate her.

"No," Klaus finally replied, keeping his eyes fixed on her face while she looked at everywhere but him. "He left last night. Then he stole my daggers." He was on his way to Rebekah's to update her about that very thing.

"He compelled Damon to kill Jeremy," Emery mumbled, clearing her throat before she finally dragged her eyes back to his face. "Can you, like, compel him not to?"

"No," Klaus sighed, not liking how uncomfortable she clearly was in his presence at that time. "It doesn't work like that."

She knew that. Still, she was hoping for a different answer. Eventually, the witch nodded her head, pursed her lips and took a step back, saying nothing. She turned her back to him and was about to walk away when she felt his fingers wrapping themselves around her wrist and pulling her inside the house. She heard the door shut behind her, Klaus was right in front of her, his jaw clenched and his eyes digging holes into her face while he stared at her.

"Em—" he began but she cut him off, shaking her head. "Don't. Not now."

"Just listen to what I have to say," Klaus pressed, still not having let go of her.

"Why should I?" the witch cleared her throat, trying to pry his fingers off her.

"Look, I was going to do it myself," he muttered, she knew what he was talking about. Carol's death. "I was going to kill her myself, end it all. But then I thought of killing two birds in one stone; your curse and my revenge. I was going to kill her no matter what. I had to get back at Tyler, he messed up. I had to teach him a lesson."

"You didn't have to include me in your shitty fucked up plan."

"Like I said, kill two birds with one stone," the hybrid repeated, pressing his lips tightly together. "In the end, you broke your curse, didn't you?"

"Screw the curse. You made me kill Carol. I couldn't even attend her funeral," she swallowed thickly, "I see her face everytime I close my eyes, I can't sleep. I can't eat." She finally looked at him, "I can't look at Tyler because all I think about when I do is his mom begging me to end her suffering. You put me in that position," she pushed him away from her, "you did this."

"You know why I did it," he dropped his hands to his side. "I had to show them who's in charge here. Tyler messed up, I fixed it. The end."

"Right," Emery shook her head, fully aware that it was futile to try and resonate with him especially after he already did what he thought was right. "Whatever. I came here for Kol, he's not here so I'm out."

"You're not going anywhere."

"I am."

"Little witch," he clenched his jaw, "I helped you do the one thing you were never going to do. And don't act like you're the victim here when you have been siding with Tyler this whole time. You knew about his little plan and you said nothing to me."

"I didn't know about that!" Emery exclaimed, her patience wearing thin. "I had no idea, for fuck's sake."

"If you did," he swallowed, "would you have told me?"

Emery went silent. Then she slowly shook her head, "no." Her eyes flickered to his, "because I know you and I know what you would've done had you been aware of it— which is exactly what did."

He clasped his hand behind his back, his lips twitching in a fake smile, "and I'd do it all over again."

"I know that too."

"Then you also know that I'm not going to just let you go," the hybrid said.

"I just need sometime away from you," Emery muttered, "away from all of this whole shit. I've gotten rid of my curse but I still feel cursed. I don't want to be here. Once I'm done helping Jeremy get Damon off his back, I'm out." She has been going back and forth between her friends and him for the longest time. It was getting tiring.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I'm going to leave," the witch clarified, "leave Mystic Falls and I'm not gonna look back."

Klaus licked his dry lips then ran his tongue along his inner cheeks as he stared at her. He released a slow breath, "Is that it then?"

"What?"

"Are we. . . over?" The question was hesitant. "You're going to just leave me after everything we've been through because I helped you?"

"No, I'm not going to leave you," Emery shot him a look as if he was crazy. "We are not over. I just need a break." She sighed, remembering that the hybrid had several issues already; she needed to thread this carefully before he decided to go on a killing spree to get over the fact that his heart was broken. That was the last thing she wanted.

So, Emery took a few steps to be closer to him. Klaus stood still, his eyes following her every move with both hope and caution. "I'm not leaving you. I'm hoping you'll come with me when I go. I'm not forgiving you for what you did to Carol, I don't think I ever will. But unfortunately, I still love you which is kinda fucked up and I'll go crazy if I lose someone else right now. So get that whole break up shit off your mind. I just need time."

"Fine," he breathed out, relieved, "alright then. I'll give you time. Then when you leave, I'm coming with you no matter what." Hesitantly, he lifted a hand and placed it on the side of her face. He relaxed when she didn't pull away although every bone in her body was telling her to, she couldn't.

"You are mine, Emery." Klaus whispered, "you will be, always and forever." The witch said nothing when he lowered his head and placed his lips against her forehead. She closed her eyes, feeling tears gathering up.

"I'll see you around." Then she backed away, sparing him once last glance before turning around and walking out.

⎯⎯ ˖

I just wanna say that ik what I'm doing and everything will be okay so don't worry even though I know it's confusing (maybe)