73

ALARIC DIPPED THE cloth that was in Caroline's mouth into a beaker of vervain. The skin around Caroline's mouth was very red and appeared to have peeled away making Emery since as she stared.

"No, no more," Caroline groaned in pain when he tied the cloth back around, "please, no more!"

"Alaric stop!" Elena shouted as she stood up but Alaric pushed her back into a seat. "Sit down! This keeps the vervain in her system. It's like inhaling razorblades with every breath."

Caroline's skin began to smoke and burn as she cried and screamed in pain while Alaric tied it back around. Elena could do nothing but touch her arm comfortingly.

"Why are you doing this?"

"To make it easier on you when you put her out of her misery." Alaric picked up the white oak stake and walked towards Elena whose eyes widened.

"What?" She blinked in shock, "No!"

"Isn't this what you wanted, Elena?" Alaric asked tauntingly, "for me to teach you how to kill a vampire?" He held out the white oak stake towards her, "well, here's a vampire, Elena. Kill her."

"This isn't what I want."

"Of course it is," Alaric urged, "all those hours you spent training, getting stronger, you could be a hunter, Elena. But you've never actually staked a vampire through the hear—" he cut himself off when his eyes fell on Emery who had been silent the whole time.

He frowned when he looked at her wound. She wasn't bleeding as profusely as before. "Now what do we have here?" He approached her and knelt down so he could take a closer look. He lifted her shirt, his features contorting into anger when he saw that she was healing.

"How the hell are you doing this?" He asked the girl before realization hit him. "Esther told me you're unlike the other witches—" he stabbed her with the stake again making her bite her lower lip to prevent herself from screaming, "healing yourself without as much as moving. That's very impressive. But I'm afraid I can't let that happen."

"Stop!" Elena shouted, on the verge of crying, "why are you doing this?"

"Because you need me," Alaric responded as he stood up and turned to look at her, "because you're an eighteen-year-old girl without parents or guidance or any sense of right and wrong anymore."

"Look at you. How is this right?" Elena frowned, pointing to Caroline then to Emery, "she's my sister."

"Now she's your sister?" Alaric repeated her words in utter amusement, "what about the fact that she's sleeping with the enemy? She went against you. Against me. Against everyone just for our number one enemy."

"She's still my sister," Elena stood her ground, looking at the witch sympathetically, "I don't want her to get hurt."

"Too bad that's what Esther wants." Alaric shrugged earning a discontent scowl from the doppelgänger who then pointed at Caroline, "okay, what about her? What did she do wrong?"

"She's a murderer," Alaric replied simply, "she told me she killed someone and liked it. Now how is that right?"

"You've literally killed people too," Emery mimicked, "now how is that right?"

Alaric rolled her eyes at the witch before he looked back at the doppelgänger, "listen, Elena, your parents led the council. It was their life's mission to keep this town safe. They weren't dead six months before you undid it all."

"You don't know anything about them."

"Why, am I wrong?" Alaric raised his brows, "do you actually think that they'd be proud of you? If you don't side with the humans, you're just as bad as them." He walked over to Emery and pulled the stake out before handing it to Elena, "Now kill her." He pointed to Caroline, "or I'll do it for you and I'll make it hurt. Get up!

He grabbed Elena's arm and pulled her out of her seat. He then placed her in front of Caroline and forced the stake into her hand before taking a step back. Elena stood there with the stake in her hand for a moment, then turned around and tried to stab Alaric but he managed to grab her wrist before she could.

"I thought I taught you better than that."

"You did," Elena muttered before she smashed the beaker filled with vervain over Alaric's head. He screamed in pain and his flesh started to burn. Elena released Caroline and urged her to leave. "Get help!"

Caroline grabbed Emery before she vamp-sped out of the classroom, the vampire feeling herself already healing as she glanced down at the witch in her arms. "You okay?"

"Just peachy," Emery responded, her hand clutching to her wound, "I can't heal myself anymore." She shot the blonde a look, "go get help. I'm only slowing you down. I'll be fine."

"You're sure?" Caroline sent her a hesitant look, "you don't look fine."

"I'll be," Emery reassured, nodding towards the exit, "now, go. Elena's still in there."

"Okay, okay," Caroline nodded, giving her one last look before she vamp-sped away.

Emery let out a sigh and continued to walk slowly, wincing with every step she was taking. Suddenly, someone suddenly grabbed her from behind. A scream would have left her lips if not for the hand that was clasped over her mouth.

"Shhh," she heard the familiar voice whisper, "it's okay, its okay. It's me." When he felt her relax against him, he dropped his hand off of her mouth.

He turned her around slowly so he could look at her. His eyes narrowed at her face which was as pale as ever and he let out a shaky exhale when he looked further down at the strong smell of blood. "How bad is it?"

"Not that bad." Emery was clutching to his shoulders, afraid her legs would give out if she let go.

"It's okay, love, you're safe, I got you," he whispered softly again, his eyes holding a mixture of fear and relief as he bit into his wrist and placed it near her lips. "Drink." Emery didn't need to be told twice. She latched onto his wrist and drank a few drops of his blood until she felt slightly better.

"You're okay." Klaus muttered, more to himself than her. He placed his hands on either side of her face, "go home. I'll deal with it. You stay inside, do you understand?" When she nodded, he went on, "and rest. Let your body heal."

"I will." 

"Good," he lowered his lips to her forehead, "I'll see you at home, love."

However, as Emery walked away from him. aware that he was staring at her to ensure that she'd gotten out safely, she could not help but feel a weird sensation. Something was going to happen, and she was not going to like it.