87

EMERY KNEW THAT the hybrid was still around the lake house, lurking in the shadows and waiting for the right time to come out.

She wanted him to go away and leave her alone, she needed some space and time away from him. Killing Carol was a dick move. It didn't matter what Tyler had been doing behind his back, the woman didn't deserve it.

The witch was inside, in one of the rooms, lying on the bed with an empty stomach. She didn't know how many hours it had been. She couldn't bring herself to eat without throwing up and her head wouldn't stop pounding. She knew it had nothing to do with her curse since it was no longer existent so it was just her health in general.

Emery had heard some commotion downstairs yet she didn't go to see what was happening. She couldn't care less. Minutes later, Jeremy had came up and told her that Klaus had compelled a vampire to come inside just so he could stake her. Emery didn't find that surprising.

The next morning, Emery did her usual morning routine then went downstairs. When she saw Elena there, her steps halted. "What's happening?"

"Your boyfriend compelled a group of vampires to go after me," Matt was the one who replied, his voice dripping with bitterness. He was still not over Emery's threat to kill him.

"Why?"

"Either I kill them or they kill Matt," Jeremy clarified, sighing. "This isn't good. I can't take them all at the same time."

"Em?" At Damon's voice, the witch turned around only to find an apple flying in her direction. She caught it midair, shooting a small glare at the vampire who only grinned in response. "Eat," he said, "you haven't done so since yesterday."

"What the hell were you thinking?" Elena asked the older Salvatore as she stood up. "All I asked you to do was to teach him how to fight."

"He's not the best student in the world," was Damon's response.

"Wait now this is my fault?" Jeremy questioned, a scoff getting past his lips.

Damon raised a hand forward, "stop talking."

Emery walked over to where Matt was sitting and plopped down on the chair across him all while ignoring his eyes on her. She took a bite of the apple and watched the scene unfold as Damon continued to talk. "Look, I know you're angry. But my way was the easiest, fastest and safest way to complete his mark to get you the cure."

"I don't care about the cure, Damon," Elena exclaimed, glancing at Jeremy, "not if it means putting the people I love in danger."

"Hey, there would've been no danger if he hadn't gone all bleeding heart."

"He killed someone," Elena pointed out, "these were innocent people."

"But the mark grew, didn't it?" Damon asked instead, ignoring her words.

The doppelgänger sighed, "okay, look, we need a plan. There's a group of compelled vampires out there and as soon as the sun goes down, they're gonna come after Matt so we have to find a way to protect him."

"Yes, I know," Damon walked over to Jeremy and put his arm around his shoulder, "but there will be no problem when big Jer and I here go on a hunting expedition."

Elena didn't look on board with the plan. She looked at Emery who was eating her apple silently, "can't you talk to him?"

The witch shook her head, "we aren't talking at the moment."

"How convenient," Matt sneered, looking at Emery. "Did you two break up? He finally got bored of you?"

"Shut up, kid," Damon groaned from behind, "you're making this whole protecting you thing hard for me right now."

"She tried to kill me," Matt reminded them, pointing a finger in her direction.

"And so did everyone in this room at some point," the witch couldn't help but say, "including Damon, countless times yet you're still willing to suck his dick."

"It's not the same," Matt defended poorly earning a scoff from her.

"Elena, I know, it's tragic," Damon decided to change the subject, "I get it. But we also agree that he had to kill them. Now, we have added incentive. So you take the least most valuable player home; Jeremy and I will finish this."

"I'm sorry?" Elena looked at him in disbelief, "are saying I should leave him here with you?"

"Trust me. I will keep him safe. Okay?" Damon raised his brows then nodded his head towards the witch. "And I've got the most powerful witch by my side. On top of that, she's also the most valuable weapon when it comes to a certain original. So, in other words, this is the safest place he'll ever be right now."

"Yeah, don't worry about them." Emery spoke up, waving a hand lazily, "I got this."

Elena shot her an unsure look. "Are you okay though?" The witch raised her head slightly at that, her brows furrowed, "why wouldn't I be?"

"You're eating that apple as if it's the hardest task in the world," the doppelgänger pointed out with a chuckle; half amused and half concerned.

"Let her be. I'll take care of her too," Damon placed his hands on either side of Elena's shoulder and turned her to the door then looked at Matt, "get up. Time for you to leave."