60

KLAUS MIKAELSON STARED at the sleeping witch, her chest heaving slowly as she breathed, a sign that she was still alive— something that relieved him more than anything.

He had never been as scared as he was earlier in his entire life. He realized that losing Emery was not something he wanted to experience, ever.

She hadn't woken up ever since what went down with his mother. Knowing that the reason why Emery had been suffering this whole time was his mother made him furious.

Approaching the bed, he sat down beside her, his hand going to her face as he brushed her hair away. He stared at her, taking in her features. She was pretty, no doubt. He was infatuated with her— if not in love. Or maybe he was. He just refused to acknowledge it.

When she stirred, he removed his hand, not wanting to disturb her although he had a million questions like why hadn't she told him? How could he help? How long does she have?

All his thoughts were interrupted when Emery slowly opened her eyes. She groaned when she felt the familiar sharp pain in her head earning an immediate frown from Klaus whose brows shot up in concern. "Are you okay?"

"Just peachy."

He sighed at her answer, his other hand reaching out to the glass of water he had brought for her. He grabbed it and held it near her lips once she sat up straight. "Drink."

The witch slowly began drinking, aware of his stare on her. She wouldn't lie and say it wasn't bothering her because it was. She knew she was about to get bombed with several questions.

Once she was done with the water, Klaus placed the glass aside and just sat there, looking at her.

"So..." she shifted uncomfortably, "I know you're dying to ask questions so go ahead."

"Will you answer me honestly?" He asked instead, "give me the whole truth, this time?"

"Promise."

"Tell me more about this curse of yours," he didn't waste a second.

"It's—" she paused, gathering her words in her mind, "— well, like you already know, I can't use my magic without getting all messed up. But really, my body is already weakening little by little. Using my powers only accelerates that shitty process."

He frowned, her words registering in his head, "you're going to die whether you use your magic or not?"

"Pretty much."

"My mother mentioned a way to break it," he needed to find a solution for her, he couldn't allow himself to lose her. "Something about sacrificing someone you care about. Why haven't you done it yet?"

She shot him a bewildered look, "take a moment and go over your question then tell me yourself."

Klaus pursed his lips. He rolled his eyes upon realizing what she meant. "I didn't mean for it to come out as insensitive as that. Well, no, actually, I did. You care about a lot of people, choose one then..." He trailed off, making a gesture of cutting his own throat.

"Absolutely not," she rolled her eyes at his action, "I don't want to live if killing someone is what it takes."

"You can drop flowers at his or her grave as an apology every week," he muttered, "come on. You can't just give up like that."

"Well, there's no other way," she sighed, "I'm not sacrificing anyone."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"It's not a big deal," she mumbled, "people die, that's basically life—"

"— You're making me want to curse really bad," he cut her off, a blank look on his face, "I know that's not why you didn't tell me."

"Fine," she didn't meet his eyes as she admitted, "I didn't think you'd care."

"You didn't think I'd—" he cut himself off,  breathing out a humorless chuckle, "— now that's something. You know that I care about you."

"I do now," she finally met his harsh eyes, "and what would you have done had I told you?"

"I don't know," he ran a hand through his hair, "I would've tried to help you."

"I didn't want anyone's help."

"Didn't?" He repeated, a frown pulling at his lips, "what is that supposed to mean?"

"I had no reason to continue living this fucked up life."

He chose to ignore her use of the past tense. "Really?" He clenched his jaw, frustrated, "you were willing to die? Just like that?"

"For the longest time, I was holding on. I thought it was going to get better but no, it'd just get worst," she took a deep breath, "but you came along and you made me somewhat happy. I wanted to give it a chance— with you. But then you fucked up when I asked you about Elena."

"I told you I—"

"— I know," she interrupted before he found finish, a dramatic sigh getting past her lips, "that's why I made my mind up that I don't wanna die like a few hours ago."

Klaus would have laughed at the way she said the whole thing if he wasn't so angry and scared at the same time on the inside. But then he allowed her words to sink in and fought off a smirk. "So you're telling me that you changed your mind because of me?"

Emery narrowed her eyes at the cocky look he was trying hard to not let show on his face. "Yes," she answered, pursing her lips.

"Okay," he couldn't contain the grin that stretched upon his face, "so who are we killing?"

"No one," she rolled her eyes, "Gloria told me that I could link my life to— well—" she cleared her throat, seeming hesitant to go on, "—  you."

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"What are you waiting for then?"

"For you to say no?" She shot him an unsure look, "I mean, this whole linking life process is a big deal. I mean, we'll be— linked like—"

"— We're going to be linked either way at some point."

"What do you mean—" she bit her lip upon realising what he meant, "oh. This isn't the time. Fuck off."

"I'd rather not," he mused, "when are we doing the linking spell?"

"Whenever you want."

"Well I want it done as soon as possible," he stood up, looking down at her, "say, in a about an hour. You need to rest a little more. And Elijah and Kol left. They asked for your number so I gave it to them. I hope that's not a problem."

"It's not."

"Good," he leaned down, pressing his lips against her forehead, "I'll leave you to it then."

_______________

I'm so sorry it took so long. I hate this as much as u do 😭