24

"THIS DOES NOT make any sense," Stefan spoke as they entered a warehouse, "why don't I remember you?"

"You said it yourself," Klaus responded, "that time had a lot of dark holes."

"No, if you knew me then why haven't you said anything?"

"I'm a little busy right now," Klaus muttered, walking further inside, "memory Lane will have to wait."

"Where are we?" Emery asked out of curiosity. She didn't know what was going on either, she was just following the two around.

"A warehouse," Klaus answered simply which earned a frown from an impatient Stefan, "what the hell is going on?" He grabbed Klaus's arm, stopping him, "answer me."

Klaus glanced down at his hand on him before taking it off, "let's just say we didn't get off to a brilliant start. To be honest, I hated you."

With that, Klaus began telling Stefan how he knew him back in the 1920's in Chicago. Apparently, Stefan had a thing with Rebekah, his sister and Klaus didn't like that.

"Your sister," Stefan breathed out in sueprise, "so I knew another Original vampire."

"If you can't handle it, then don't ask," Klaus walked over to a number of coffins, containing his family. He opened one of them, revealing a daggered Rebekah. He smiled and reached out to gently touch her face.

"Emery?" Klaus turned to look at the witch who was staring down at the blonde original vampire. At her name, she lifted her eyes to his, "what?"

"Is she the one you see in your dreams?" Klaus questioned to which she shook her head, her lips pursed, "no."

Klaus furrowed his brows at her answer. He was certain it was Rebekah. If it wasn't then there was only one other person that it could be making him bite his tongue in realisation. Esther.

"I don't recognize her," Stefan cut in before the hybrid could say anything to her. He glanced at Stefan, "well, don't tell her that. Rebekah's temper is worse than mine." Then he pulled the dagger out of her chest, "time to wake up, little sister."

However, she did not wake up. She just lied there, dead. Klaus huffed, "any day now, Rebekah—" he glanced at the two others, "she's being dramatic."

"Look, why don't you just tell me what the hell is going on?" Stefan's impatient self asked, "I mean, you obviously want me here for a reason, right?"

"Well, you have many useful talents," Klaus muttered which resulted in the younger Salvatore raising his brows, "do I?"

Klaus nodded, "in fact, I learned some of my favorite tricks from you."

Emery decided to stare at Rebekah when Klaus began telling Stefan another story again. The witch allowed her eyes to rake upon Rebekah's features. The blonde was pretty, she had to admit. She hated seeing her like that, nobody deserves to lose years of their lives. Emery knew that she was going to be pissed when she'd wake up. She would've been too.

"I was your number one fan," Klaus's voice made her turn to look at the two vampires, giving them her attention again. They began walking towards the exit when Stefan asked skeptically, "why should I believe any of this?"

Instead of replying, Klaus stopped in front of a guard and compelled him, "when she wakes up, tell her to meet us at Gloria's Bar. Then volunteer your carotid artery and let her feed until you die." The man nodded without saying anything.

Emery bit her tongue to prevent herself from saying anything about that. She didn't like the fact that Klaus would treat others' lives like they didn't matter for his own selfish needs.

"Where are you going?" Stefan asked when Klaus began walking out. The two followed him as he replied, "you think I'm lying, Stefan. You and I knew each other. You trusted me with one of your secrets and now I'm going to prove it to you."

"How?" Stefan asked, raising his brows slightly in curiosity.

"We're going to your old apartment," Klaus responded with a small smirk, glancing at Emery who was visibly glaring at the back of his head while Stefan had walked out, "are you all right?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well—" he kissed his teeth, narrowing his eyes,  "you've been staring at me as if you want to kill me, love. Did I do something?"

"I don't know, did you?" She asked back which earned a confused look from him. Klaus bit his lower lip in slight frustration, "are you going to tell me what's wrong or not?"

"Would you do something about it?"

"Depends," he shrugged, glancing at the exit to find that Stefan was no longer there. The younger Salvatore had already began to walk in the direction of his old apartment, not really wanting to stay to know what was happening between Emery and Klaus. The mere thought of them talking and getting close made his stomach churn. He could see how comfortable the witch was with him and it annoyed him to no ends but he never mentioned it, knowing it was not his place to.

"It doesn't matter," she muttered after a few seconds, thinking about the reasons why Klaus would ever listen to her and she found none. "Let's just go."

Just as she took a step forward, his hand reached out to grab her wrist, pulling her back to stand in front of him. "No, wait. Tell me what's wrong. I thought we were fine—"

"— now, what made you think that?" She breathed out a scoff, "we are not fine. We'll never be. You can't expect me to look past the fact that you killed someone I love just because you haven't been a dick to me."

"Where is all this coming from?" Klaus huffed, "why are you bringing this up now?"

"I don't know," she muttered, frowning, "I guess I just could no longer stand how you take other people's lives like they don't matter."