Chapter 34: Pokémon Battle Royal!

Third POV

Mei pressed the button, and the next video began with the classic Death Battle theme.

"For nearly two decades, people across the globe have struggled endlessly to make one crucial, exhausting, impossible choice." Wiz began the video.

"Bulbasaur, Squirtle, or Charmander?" Boomstick proposed the infamous question.

"Urgh, yes!" Sen exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air. "You don't how agonizingly long it took for me to choose between those three in my first Pokémon game."

"It's not like it gets any better in the other generations." Awase pointed out. "Do you know how confusing it was for me to choose between the Gen 8 and 9 Starters?"

"The Starter Pokémon." Wiz agreed. "Your first companion into the world of Pokémon. Now, it's finally time to learn if the one you chose was really the strongest."

"Is this really that hard of a choice?" Momo asked, both astonished and intrigued by how serious and drastic a decision in a video game was being referred to.

"Honestly, kinda," Izuku answered her. "In Pokémon, even though you can catch up to hundreds of different Pokémon, with all of them having varying Types, Stats, and moves, the Pokémon you get at the beginning of the game is limited and generally the most important ones, especially the Starters."

"Yeah, like the Pokémon Gyms that are kinda like the boss battles of the game." Kaminari helpfully pointed it out. "All of them specialize in a certain type of Pokémon, like the first Gym Leader, Brock, being a Rock Type specialist in the first game."

"And the Pokémon that you choose first could make that Gym battle easier or harder depending on their Types?" Momo guessed.

"Exactly!" Kaminari gave a thumbs up.

"It truly is the end of times if Kaminari of all people is teaching Momo something." Kyoka joked/said seriously.

"And what better way than with their evolved forms," Boomstick said. "Venusaur, the pimply plant monster. Blastoise, the bazooka turtle. And Charizard, the...dragon."

"So, these Pokémon are the final forms of the Starter Pokémon you choose?" Iida, also a Pokémon virgin, guessed.

"Yep." Asui nodded. "Most Pokémon can evolve into a new form after reaching a certain level or interacting with a certain stone or unique requirement."

"And these forms make them stronger?" Iida continued asking.

"Yeah." Uraraka jumped in. "When they evolve, their new forms often get greater stat changes, new moves for them to learn, and some even gain a second Type to resist more Types or make other moves they learn stronger."

"For a fair assessment, we're examining maxed-out wild Pokémon versions of these Starters," Wiz explained. "For those of you nerdy enough to care, this means no special EV training, no Mega Evolutions, and no tutor, bred, or otherwise unnaturally learned attacks."

"So that means they won't be using the strongest TMs for the Starters," Izuku muttered, writing that down.

"TMs?" Todoroki questioned.

"Technical Machines, or TMs, are like these discs that help teach Pokémon new moves, some of which they wouldn't naturally learn by level up," Izuku answered, passing his notebook to Todoroki. "For example, all of the Starters, including Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise can learn three of the most powerful TM moves known as Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon, but because they won't be able to use those moves, they are limited to their base level up moves."