45

Only a few more days until Sam was back and I could go back to my place. Apparently, Sam had found a nice flat in London for us to rent while we looked for the perfect one to buy, so I was not going back to Shields after spending a month at Alex's. Thankfully, as our mission of moving to London was actually working out, I managed to visit some schools for the kids in the capital (with Alex's help, of course). As for Alex and me... Spending this much time together was not good for either of us. Alex still had feelings for me, he was very clear about that, and now I was more confused than ever. I loved Sam with all my heart and I knew that my place was next to him. However, as he grew distant over the past month and Alex was there all the time, my head sometimes drifted off into the thought and me and Alex being together again.

That wasn't really relevant at that moment since I was getting dressed to greet my ex-in-laws. Of course Isobelle had found out that I was staying at Alex's and she couldn't stand knowing that I was around and not getting a chance to judge me in every aspect that she could think of. I decided to wear Sam's favourite dress as a way of feeling him around me and give me strength.

"Not that you need it" Alex said.

I wore the slightest makeup, as I knew that Isobelle hated it, and dressed both of my children in the smartest clothes that Sam packed. The kids had dinner with us and I quickly sent them to bed (I actually had to go and read a short fairytale to both of them), and once only the adults were left, the party started.

Alex phone started ringing and I slowly sipped my red wine. "I have to get it, it's Mark calling" Apparently, Alex had decided to start a band called Simple Creatures with Mark Hoppus, from Blink-182.

Alex stood up and disappear into the kitchen, leaving me alone with Isobelle and Peter. Isobelle, then, cleared her throat. "So, Alice" I turned to look at her and did my best to try to smile. "How are you doing with... everything?"

I opened my mouth and raised one eyebrow as I tried to organize my ideas. "I'm doing good, actually. You know that I'm living in Newcastle although my fiancée and I are planning on moving to London soon, for the sake of my son. And work is good so I can't really complain" I said.

"Since when are you with Sam?" Peter asked, truly out of curiosity.

"Uh, we've been together for around four years? I think? Well, since like two months before I got pregnant with Elliott, really" I looked away from Isobelle and Peter as I knew what was coming next.

"Great, I see that you didn't lose the desire of having kids to ruin men's lives, have you?" Isobelle murmured loud enough for us to hear. Peter brushed his wife's hand slightly as a sort of warning, which only caused Isobelle to turn to him. "What? You've seen what she did to your own son and history is repeating itself. And now she's here once again to mess up our Alex's life, isn't she?"

Peter slightly shook his head and looked down. "Not now, Isobelle. Remembered what Alex told us, dear" Peter warned his wife.

"This girl doesn't really have any slight problem other than her being a whor-" It was at that moment when Alex came back to the living room.

"What had I told you, mom? I didn't want to hear any single bad comment directed towards Alice" Alex scolding his mother.

"You're blind, son. She's not good for you and she's here to bring you down again. Look at what happened with you and Leah" Isobelle continued.

Alex crossed his arms at his chest while he was still standing up. "What happened between me and Leah had nothing to do with Alice, Sam or any of this, and you know it. Don't bring it up now to make Alice feel guilty about something she is not guilty of" Alex said.