3

I was running late. I woke up, had a shower, got my tea in a cup, some biscuits and left the house in a rush. I agreed to meet the lady who was babysitting Beth at 10:30 am and it was currently 10:15 am and I still had to make my way from Tynemouth to North Shields. To say that I was stressed was an understatement.

I arrived to her place at 10:45 am and knocked on the door. She opened it.

"Sorry I'm late, the alarm did not go off" I apologized.

"Don't worry, pet. Come in" She sets aside and lets me get inside the house, where I hear my daughter's laughter.

"She is in the living room with my kid. They met this morning and it was love at first sight" I nodded. "Want a cup of tea, darling?" She asked while guiding me to the living room.

"No thank you, had one just a few minutes ago" And just as I made my way into the living room, my daughter was sat on the lap of a young lad, who I could not see as Beth was concentrated in doing his makeup.

"Look who's here" The lady, who is called Shirley, announced.

Beth turned around full of excitement. "Mommy!" She quickly dropped everything and came to my arms.

"Hi love, you had a good time?" I asked her as I lifted her.

"Alice?" I hear the boy ask. That's when I realize who that lad was.

"Sam?" I lifted my eyebrows. He stood up and walked towards me.

"How is it that my mother was babysitting your daughter? What a canny coincidence, isn't it?" He gave me a hug while being careful not to bother Beth.

"Yeah, it really is" We were both smiling like fools and Beth was playing with the hem of my shirt.

"You know each other?" Shirley asked.

"She's come a few times to the Lowlights with her mates Alexia and Anne" Shirley nodded. "And we saw each other last night at the club" I nodded as well to affirm what he was saying.

"Hope my lad has been nice to you, love" Shirley said.

"He walked me home last night; he is nothing by a gentleman" I said. His mother lifted her eyebrows. Now I think about it, mothers know their children as an open book, first sign to take into consideration for what was going to happen during the next few years.