Time Recall AU/Story

Pretty much, somehow, either born with it or bestowed or cursed or whatever, Sabre ends up with one simple power that could bring a lot of angst if utilized.

Simply, whenever Sabre dies, he goes back in time to whenever he last slept. Each time he goes back in time, he calls it a 'Recall'.

Which, of course, could change a lot. After all, Sabre has a constant 'redo' button. Why wouldn't he use it to try and fix as much as he could.

The first time he uses his power is right after the Red Scout got infected and destroyed by Orange Steve. A quick little Recall and- oh, something was wrong.

Instead of going back to when he last slept like normal, Sabre ends up just falling right out of the portal. Somehow, he was completely unable to go back to his world, but he was able to stop Red Scout from dying!

Now with the three of them in the Rainbow Hub, they begin the quest of collecting all the crystals.

Obviously, Sabre suddenly knowing when disaster will strike is very odd and it soon comes out to the other two about his power. They are rightfully shocked and horrified, but as long as Sabre is okay, they're fine.

I really don't have much for this one right now sooo, main things.

Time is completely unaffected by Sabre's Recalls! At first he just assumes his powers are going out of whack, but he figures it out eventually. It is off putting sometimes to go from doing one thing to suddenly doing something else you already did, but Time gets used to it. Which means, unless Time is in his dimension, he can quickly tell when something is going wrong if Sabre ends up Recalling a lot one day.

The Leaders and Sabre's close friends all find out, some by themselves and by accident or something in groups and on purpose. Therapist Green Steve quickly starts therapy with Sabre before Shadow becomes a thing since oh boy, dying repeatedly and sometimes on purpose cannot be good for your mental health.

Blue Leader is put off by Sabre, since he's all about the afterlife and here's Sabre, someone who physically cannot stay dead. All the Leaders are mildly concerned, but they get used to it.

It's still nerve wracking for them all when Sabre suddenly appears and demands wherever they're at to evacuate, since then they're left wondering how many (not including Sabre) died and were simply saved because of Sabre's power.

Sabre actually ended up dying to Nightmare three times before he realized Sabre could just beat Nightmare there and inform the Orange Leader. That took two tries, but Sabre was successful in the end.

Obviously, there has to be some downsides to this power of his. Basically, anytime he Recalls, his body still clings to the pain, even with the injury gone. It fades quickly, but just laying there feeling like you're dying isn't fun. Also, Sabre can't Recall lots and lots of times, since it slowly wears on his body and ends up forcing him to rest while feeling the recent injuries he had to Recall from.

Anyways-

— — — Story — — —

Sabre snapped his eyes open with a gasp, his lungs struggling to take in any air, feeling the electric pain of each failed try flash over his body and embed itself into his very soul.

Over his muffled gasps, trying to breath through the pain, he could hear members of the Colorless Guards getting ready for the day.

Tears pricked his eyes as another round of pain washed over him. The white tent fabric above him pushed inwards, blocking the wind from hitting him.

Three-

Two-

One-

Sabre heard the sound of logs falling along with a surprised shout. He figured out that the Steve dropped them in surprise because of Light a few Recalls ago. He let out a pained chuckle. He knew everyone will soon know their attack failed, since he's already gotten used to living in this day that he's got it memorized.

It always unnerved them whenever that happened.

Sabre sighed, feeling the pain abate somewhat. It wasn't the best, but he didn't feel like puking his guts out anymore.

Sabre heard a quiet thunk of wood nearby. Light sat down the firewood, meaning Light was incoming in five-

Four-

Three-

Two-

One-

Sabre heard the tent flap open, and he knew if he lifted his head to look, Light would have his head peeking in, hair slightly disheveled.

'Sabre, are you up?'

"Sabre?" Light asked, saying the same thing unknowingly for the millionth time. "Are you up?"

Sabre sighed, but didn't move. His body still ached from each failed attempt. His chest hurt the worst, since apparently Void had an affinity for killing him that way. "Yep." He told Light. "I'm up."

'Oh!" Sabre played Light's voice in his head. "Breakfast is being served if you want to join us.'

Except, Light didn't say what he always said. Instead, Sabre heard Light slip the rest of the way into his tent, walking up to his little cot. "Sabre?" There was a concern tilt to his tone

This was wrong. The deviation had each hair on end. Sabre blinked up at his friend, who was looking down at him with worry. "Hm?" Sabre hummed.

Light frowned even more, placing a hand on his forehead. "Sabre!" He gasped. "You're burning up!"

Sabre didn't know how to tell Light it was from merely overusing his power rather than a sickness. Afterall, how do you explain to your friend that they've fought Void over... over...

Sabre lost count.

Anyways, how would he explain to Light that they've fought Void who knows how many times and each time usually ended with a sword pierced through his chest as Void laughs over his dying body?

Light took his hand off his forehead. "Stay there." Light told him. "I'll go fetch a healer."

Sabre tried to push himself up, only for his arms to give out from behind him. He bounced slightly on his cot, before settling once more. Sabre groaned. He had to be able to fight! He couldn't just let Light fight Void by himself!

Sabre took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. He just had to get his body to work, that's all.

By the time Light and the healer came back, all Sabre managed to accomplish was to nearly fall off the cot. He was still precariously near the edge, but he wasn't in danger of falling.

Looking up found him staring at a Green Steve wearing the Colorless armor and Light. "Good morning sir." The Green Steve gave a soft smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine." Sabre mumbled. His Recall injuries twinged, gone, yet his mind still grasping onto the phantom pains. Origin, he'd rather take the mess that was Nightmare killing him than this.

Neither Steve looked to believe him. The Green Steve placed a glowing hand on his forehead, frowning deeply at whatever his powers were telling him.

The glow cut off and the hand was lifted. "Sir," The Green Steve looked unsettled. "How many times have you used your powers as of late?"

Light, who was staring at the Green Steve, quickly snapped his head to Sabre. Horror dawned his expression quickly.

Sabre gave an awkward laugh, only to end up coughing. Light dismissed the guard, giving him a look that told him he was in for it. The Green Steve, who was slipping his helmet back on, fled once they saw the look Light was giving him.

Sabre moved his leg, or rather, he tried to move his leg and it twitched slightly to the side. Light gave him a look.

What he wouldn't give to be able to Recall just to escape the conversation about to happen.