chapter 3: Where one stands with a Sword!

0 3 days later 0

When Team 7 got to the coast it was to find a thick fog had rolled in. Tazuna had led them to a man who had been willing to offer them passage across, and now the six of them were inside a motorboat to cross the waters and head into Nami No Kuni. Currently the motorboat was off however and the boatman was rowing, so as not to attract attention from anyone that may want to cause their group harm.

Naruko who was at the front of the boat was staring into the thick fog. There's something odd about this fog. He thought to himself. Even for morning fog it seems to be really thick.

"This fog is pretty thick." Naruko commented out loud, wondering what the others thought of it.

"Yeah, it's actually hard to even figure out where we're going." Sakura said, actually agreeing with Naruko. "I mean, the only thing I can even see is the water..." She looked off the side of the boat and into the rippling water.

"We'll be able to see the bridge any minute now," The boatman said in a quiet voice. "As soon as you set foot on the other shore, you'll be in Nami No Kuni."

As if on his words the fog parted where they were going to reveal the bridge. The group looked up as the shadow of it loomed over them. Even at the angle they were seeing it at, the large unfinished bridge was a sight for the group of genin.

Naruko whistled, "Alright I have to admit I'm impressed Tazuna-san."

"Thank you," Tazuna said with pride in his voice.

"You guys need to keep it down," The man hissed. "The whole point of moving through the dense morning fog is so that we wouldn't be spotted. But it doesn't do any good if they hear us. Why do you think we're going like this? Turning off the motorboat and rowing?"

Naruko looked over at the boatman with a frown, "As in Gato?" she asked.

"Tazuna-san, can you give us a bit more detail on Gato?" Kakashi asked

Tazuna gave a slight nod. "On the surface, Gato appears to be nothing more than a legitimate businessman...however underneath that, the man is one of the rulers of the criminal underworld. He is known for using gangs and hiring ninja to ruin countries and initiate hostile takeovers of other business. He uses his business as a cover for his black market operations, smuggling drugs, contraband."

"Sounds to be a bit of a prick of a man." Naruko commented.

"He came to Nami no Kuni a little over a year ago," Tazuna ignored Naruko's commented as he gave Kakashi more information. "He had used his wealth and violence to enter our country, and before we even knew what was happening, he had managed to seize control of all our shipping and transport."

"That makes sense." Naruko mumbled, getting the attention of everyone else. "Nami is really nothing more than a string of islands. They have no other way to trade and receive supplies other than their shipping routes. By taking control over that Gato effectively controls everything."

"The gaki is right!" Tazuna said with an imperceptible nod. "On an island nation the man who controls the sea, controls everything from finance to government, to our very lives. Anyone who even attempts to stand up to him...disappears. However, even Gato has fears...and the one thing he fears is the bridge."

"Which of course is why Gato is after you." Naruko said with a nod. "Once the bridge is complete it will connect Nami to the mainland, and you won't need ships to get supplies. Since you're the master bridge builder, you're in Gato's way and he wants to off you."

"But this does raise a question." Kakashi said as he looked at Tazuna pointedly. "If you knew this was going to happen, knew that Gato was dangerous, why did you lie about the mission?"