Chapter Break

Greece reigned supreme in Alakitasia, asserting their dominance in politics, economy, society, and culture. For generations, they reveled in their unparalleled glory. The Emperor, Spriggan, found himself grappling with a challenging decision within his court. He pondered whether to embrace the esteemed Doric dialect of the Greek language, highly favored by the Athenians and their allies, or succumb to the captivating allure of the Ionian dialect hailing from the Peloponnese. He could speak some broken Greek, but he wasn't very fluent. So he spoke the native Gothic language in his private meetings with his Prime Minister and his most trusted courtiers. He eventually decided to adopt the Ionian dialect, as it had a greater influence on the empire. In order to achieve a complete mastery of the language and advance its usage within the imperial court, he sent emissaries to the royal court of King Midas of Sparta and his co-regent, King Mithridates I. He also enacted measures to guarantee that his citizens would become fluent in the language and utilize it in their daily exchanges, employing a clandestine police force known as the Troublesome Twelve. According to Alvarezian society, they were known as the "Swords of His Supreme Majesty the Emperor and Lord of Alvarez". The Troublesome Twelve were given the task of enforcing his language policy, punishing those who failed to comply. They were also responsible for teaching the language to all citizens, whether by coercion or through voluntary classes. They were ultimately successful in their mission, making Ionian Greek the most spoken language in the country. Merchants were under a legal obligation to carry out their trade in Greek. Furthermore, when travelling for work, they had to proficiently translate the local native languages into Greek.

Furthermore, university professors were responsible for instructing seminars on an array of subjects, including Greek philosophy, mathematics, biology, chemistry, engineering, computer science, political science, civics, law, ethics, theology, psychology, the Fine and Performing Arts, literature, architecture, and sociology. Even after Macedon conquered all of Greece, Alakitasia remained a Greek-speaking continent, just like its rivalson the eastern continent. The education of its citizens was paramount and students were taught to become well-rounded individuals. Their success extended beyond the realm of academics, as they excelled in extracurricular activities, skyrocketing their status to that of highly accomplished individuals in society.While some individuals chose to venture into entrepreneurship and witnessed their businesses thrive and their wealth grow, others decided to pursue a career in corporate, civil, or criminal law.

Therefore, a social norm was introduced that forbade malpractice by business owners and corruption in the courts. In order to secure a professional license and earn recommendations from top-tier law companies, attorneys are required to pass a State-mandated bar exam with flying colors. Spriggan frequently travelled all over the Empire to observe legal proceedings in the courtroom. In the corporate world, the same standard was upheld by awarding business designations like limited liability companies, incorporation, and more. Furthermore, the State recognized entrepreneurs as legitimate individuals who had proven themselves by passing a formal examination of their businesses throughout the entire Empire, which occurred once every six decades.

Unfortunately, an event occurred that forever changed the economic, legal, and social fabric of the Empire. King Alexander the Great, also known as Alexander I, was crowned Emperor of Macedonia. Therefore, his country rose in status to an empire and the Macedonians were equal to Alvarez. During political meetings and phone calls with Emperor Spriggan, Alexander would proudly showcase the new titles he had granted himself. Spriggan was enraged at Alexander's boastful attitude and was determined to humble the upstart ruler. He plotted a conspiracy to discredit Alexander and prove to the world that he was the only true Emperor. To unveil Alexander's incompetence as the ruler of the Alvarez Empire, he masterfully executed a census, encompassing every single citizen in the realm. Moreover, he implemented a rigorous evaluation process overseen by a team of experts, headed by the Prime Minister of Alvarez, with the aim of thoroughly examining each policy and decree crafted by Alexander. By doing this, we could ensure that all policies implemented by Alexander prioritize the well-being of the citizens of the Macedonian Empire, rather than solely serving Alexander's selfish interests. To ensure Alexander's unwavering commitment to the Empire's laws and to prevent any possible abuse of his authority, Spriggan has meticulously established a sophisticated framework of incentives and penalties. Thanks to these strategies, Spriggan successfully established his dominance as the sole ruler of the medieval world and effectively subdued Alexander's ego for good.

Sadly, the conspiracy backfired for one key reason. Unbeknownst to the Emperor, his actions would enrage Alexander to such an extent that he would ultimately declare war and embark on a punitive campaign in Alvarez. When a letter was mailed to him containing his declaration of war, Spriggan was caught by surprise. To make matters worse, the reports sent by his subordinates in the Twelve revealed that a colossal armada of one undecillion airships, each armed with powerful magic cannons, was about to descend upon them. The ruler proclaimed a State of Emergency, ordering merchants to close their businesses ahead of schedule and urging his subjects to find refuge within the safety of their own homes. Air raids blared day and night for months, warning of a potential aerial bombardment. Then the Macedonian ships arrived and opened fire on the city of Vistarion. The death toll started at one hundred and seventy thousand but quickly arose to two million people and counting. Meanwhile, the Twelve mobilized their armies and fired anti-aircraft missiles at the ships, but to no avail. An invisible barrier protected them from the attacks and so Alexander personally led his men to the city by parachute. When they landed, he ordered a devastating sack.

They were stealing everything valuable while killing everyone on their way and burning useless property. When he called off the raids, Vistarion was in smoldering ruins with everything but the Imperial Palace destroyed beyond repair. The Emperor limped his way from the destroyed part of his palace towards Alexander's camp to negotiate a ceasefire. However, the negotiations ended in failure and the Macedonian Emperor delivered a fatal stabbing to him. Following the death of Emperor Spriggan, Alexander wasted no time in ascending to the throne. With unwavering determination, he made a bold move by commanding the disbandment of the Troublesome Twelve. His concerns regarding their loyalty drove him to take swift and resolute action. So the Alvarez Empire crumbled to dust, replaced by the Macedonian Empire. As the new Emperor, Alexander took his anger out on his new subjects by instituting harsh laws and taxes. Furthermore, he enforced a rigorous system of military control in the area, ensuring an unwavering hold on authority. In addition, he seized control over the local population, placing more importance on enforcing his own laws and regulations on citizens who were once part of the Alvarez Empire. He also forced the locals to pay tribute and taxes to him, punishing those who did not comply with his rules. Therefore, throughout generations, the people in that region have endured political, social, and economic repression under Emperor Alexander and his administration, with no apparent resolution in sight.

The End.