Chapter 26: Arm Candy

As each day slipped away, Yeji couldn't help but sense the growing distance between her and Ryujin; this could be in part due to Ryujin's constant busyness, which prevented her from joining their squad at break time. It was a subtle shift, but it weighed heavily on her heart.

Determined to address the issue, she decided to seek out Ryujin in the one place where they could have a private conversation—a hidden sanctuary within their university campus.

Yeji made her way to this secluded spot, a path known only to a few. It was a picturesque journey as she strolled through the campus. The trees arched gracefully overhead, their leaves rustling in the gentle breeze.

The soft, golden rays of the afternoon sun filtered through the foliage, dappling the cobblestone pathway. The sound of distant laughter and the hushed whispers of students studying under the shade added to the tranquil ambiance.

As she approached Ryujin's sanctuary, a sense of anticipation filled her. Before you can get to the location, there will be benches nestled amidst a cluster of ancient oak trees, their branches forming a natural canopy that shields the area from prying eyes.

However, when Yeji finally arrived at the serene haven just a few meters away from those benches, she was met with an unexpected silence. She hesitated, her heart sinking as she knocked gently on the door.

The absence of any response was all too evident, and the realization that no one was there to hear her knocked at her heart.

Returning to the university's bustling cafeteria, the contrast between the solitude of the sanctuary and the lively cafeteria was stark. The cafeteria was a hub of activity, filled with students from all walks of life.

The clatter of trays, the hum of conversation, and the aroma of various foods combined to create an environment brimming with life and diversity.

Yeji's own group, her squad, was seated beside Velvet Five, a sight that garnered the attention of curious onlookers. It was not often that the most popular students at the school mingled with regular students like themselves. Yeji, finding no empty seats left, took her place beside Winter.

As Yeji settled in, the absence of Ryujin was glaringly obvious. She was on the verge of asking where Ryujin was when Heejin initiated a conversation, redirecting the group's attention.

"So, Yeji," Heejin began, "we were just discussing the upcoming business meeting this Saturday."

Yeji, slightly caught off guard, replied, "I don't really see how that concerns me. My parents aren't your business partners."

Heejin grinned mischievously. "Well, it's not just a business meeting," she explained. "It's followed by a party."

Yeji's interest was piqued. "A party?" she inquired, her curiosity growing.

Winter chimed in. "Yes, and we need someone to be our 'arm candy' for the evening," she revealed.

Yeji considered this for a moment before replying, "Well, Lia, who are you planning to go with?" Her question hung in the air, momentarily silencing the group.

Lia hesitated before answering, "My parents still expect me to go with Seungmin." She lowered her gaze, a hint of discomfort evident.

Heejin took the opportunity to shift the focus away from Lia. "I've asked Hyunjin to be my 'arm candy,' and she said yes," she announced.

"I'm going with Yuna," Chaeryeong added, her words accompanied by a radiant smile directed at Yuna.

"The only one left without a partner is Winter, it seems," Yuna observed, glancing at Winter.