A Caged Goddess | Angst

Elizabeth's P.O.V

Being the daughter of the Supreme Deity wasn't easy...not when so much is expected of me. Why does this war have to exist? Why can't demons be our allies instead of our enemies? Why...can't I love Meliodas freely? "It's not fair.." I whispered to myself, sitting in my bed within the celestial realm, forced to do my mother's bidding. Her dirty work...killing demons just to prove the goddesses are superior. It's just...it's not right! "Lady Elizabeth, the Supreme Deity requires your presence in the throne room!" Lucia, the maid assigned to attend to my every need in the celestial realm and who I trusted my secrets with...she was the only one I felt at ease with. "I'll be right out Lucia!" I call out, slowly combing my hair as to not anger my mother by not being "perfect", she always had something to say about my appearance or actions...I'm sure now won't be much different. "From what I heard from Kyaru...she overheard Lord Mael shouting at Lord Ludociel, that he doesn't agree with your engagement.." Engagement? What is mother thinking marrying me off during a war..? And why now..? "That won't happen...I won't let it.." I whisper, my fist clenching in anger at the thought of being forced to marry someone else...someone that isn't Meliodas. Walking into the throne room was not only my mother, but the four archangels as well. It seems Kyaru was right...Mael looks upset so rumor about the engagement must be true. "You cleaned up well today Elizabeth, at last, you haven't disappointed me!" I'm sure Lucia could tell how much her words cut deep into me. How can someone like her deserve the title of mother? "Hello mother, why have you summoned me?" I spoke calmly, keeping my cool as I bowed slightly to her. "The Demon King and I have decided to make peace with one another. As much as he disgusts me so, what kind of queen would I be if I didn't make amends with the enemy?" Peace with the demon clan? It's all I ever wanted! But...to get married off to make it happen? "You will be marrying the 2nd prince; Zeldris!" Meliodas' younger brother? Oh no...what about Gelda? Meliodas told me they were together...that he wants the best for the two of them. How can this happen..? "This is unreasonable mother!" I couldn't help but snap at her, not only do I not love Zeldris but he has someone else he loves. "You can't speak to the Supreme Deity like that Lady Elizabeth...!!" Ludociel shouts in anger, he was closest to her so of course he would come to her aid. "You dare talk to your own mother that way?" She spoke firmly, I could tell my actions were angering her but I could no longer be her "perfect" daughter...not anymore. "I refuse to marry Zeldris! Can't we make peace some other way? This isn't fair to me and this isn't fair to Zeldris!" How could they think forcing us into marriage was okay? That it was for the good of everyone..? "L-Lady Elizabeth.." Lucia whispered, understanding the pain of doing something against your will. "You are the princess of the goddess clan! You cannot do what you want understand? Your very life belongs to me and I order you to marry Zeldris!!" Her voice boomed throughout the throne room, and as much as she scared me...I refuse to back down. "I won't marry Zeldris no matter what you say! I would only get married if I loved the person...and in this case I don't. I won't marry Zeldris just because you say so Supreme Deity!!" I shouted angrily, my eyes filled with hatred for this woman...who is no longer a mother to me. "If you were anyone else I would have you executed Elizabeth! You WILL marry Zeldris in 4 days time!!" She refused to let this matter go...why do I have to be her daughter? "Lady Elizabeth wait...!" Lucia flew after me as I left the throne room, tears threatening to fall from my eyes. I need to see him...I need to see Meliodas.. "Lucia I'm gonna go see him.." I whisper, smiling a bit as she nodded in understanding, allowing me to leave this prison. At the abandoned Heaven's Theater...Meliodas was waiting for me as he always did. "Meliodas..." I whimper, finally allowing the tears to fall, feeling his warm hands wrapping around my waist. "The gods are cruel...but I didn't think they were capable of something like this." Meliodas tightened his hold on me as I moved closer to him, I couldn't bare the pain of going through with this marriage. "I don't want to marry Zeldris...I begged her to think of another way to make peace with the demon clan but she won't listen! This is wrong...oh gods, what about Gelda? How is she handling this..?" I asked softly, slowly closing my eyes as I began to relax in his arms...I felt safe. "Zeldris said she doesn't like this but feels better knowing you and I are together...that you understand her pain. I don't like this either...you're mine." He whispered, his demon mark showing on his forehead as well as his eyes darkening. "Let's convince the Demon King and Supreme Deity that marriage isn't needed to make peace...that you and I love each other! Surely...hearing that can work. It has to...!" However...that was the last time I saw Meliodas. We kissed each other goodbye and went back to our realms...only to be trapped once I told the Supreme Deity of my relationship with Meliodas. Trapped like a bird in a cage...forced to watch her kill Lucia right before my eyes. "LUCIA...!!!" I screamed, the smoke clearing and there was nothing left of her body...absolutely nothing. "Please...let me go...!" No matter how much I begged to be freed...all she would do was laugh and beat me till I couldn't move, when she was done with me I would heal myself...only to have her beat me again the next day. And the next...and the next. I wasn't allowed any visitors...I wasn't allowed to be fed, clothed, bathed...I wasn't allowed to leave the cage she trapped me in. I never got to see Meliodas again...