Chapter Fifteen

Xavier could barely see. Everyone around him were just silhouettes in the dimly lit basket. What was happening who was shooting? Was it King and his men or Peter's men. Xavier felt someone yank him down and his back hit something hard. It was Racer. His hair almost white in the moonlight. " When your being shot at you really should Get Down!" He said his hand pressed firmly on Xaviers chest. Xavier knocked it off " I was still getting over the shock of  Being Shot At!" Racer looked up over the crates then back behind them. " Come on there gonna keep advancing forward till they use up there hundred rounds. And if they get here and we're still here we're dead." Xavier desperately wanted answers but he also wanted to live. Unfortunately for Racer he didn't trust him. 

Xavier could feel the shadows pulling at him. It was hard to not sink into them all the time. He pulled them around himself. Wrapping them tight like a coat on a brisk winter day. He knew he was invisible to others cuse Racer began looking around frantically. Whispering his name. But Xavier couldn't focus on that or the sting guilt that was already piercing his stomach. 

He could help Racer they could both get away alive and uninjured. But Racer could also be leading him to a trap. Xavier wouldn't risk that even if it ment leaving Racer for dead. Xavier looked back. And there they were. They stood higher then even King. There skeleton like body's glittering in the silver light there eyes glowing green. Night vision. Xavier had only ever seen it once. They weren't human. They were machines! Wich made scenes. Look at what Red did to them. Mind tricks don't work on machines.

He stood up and....nothing. to bullets no hell fire. They just kept walking forward in perfect formation. Xavier turned and ran as fast as he could. He had run many a hundred yards when he saw Peter. He was behind a lage stack of crates. His arm was bloody and he held it limply. Xavier let go of the shadows and stood by him. " You okay?" Peter looked to his arm and smiled " Hardly a scratch " he answered. " Where were you?" He asked. " Up about a hundred yards from here. Racer was there to." Peter looked at him. His eyes to glow in the light. " You left him didn't you?" Xavier swallowed hard. New waves of guilt hit him. He nodded. Peter looked away nodding his head." Yeah I would have done the same." He spat the words like venom. And looked rather ashamed. 

Xavier couldn't think anymore a new spray of bullets went off. Wich lead to more bone chilling screaming.  Xavier kept an eye out for Racer. But couldn't find him. " Wach out !" He heard someone scream. Then.....boom.

He was thrown back his ears ringing pain from the back of he head down his spine. He landed in something warm and sticky. Another spray of bullets went off. Xavier just laid still. If he didn't move mabey they would think him dead. The macanical marching still sounded far away. Xavier dared to open his eyes. Peter lay a few feet away. He wasn't moving but he may be faking like Xavier. Red and Jacob were hiding behind a bunch of crates. Xavier could still feel the warm and sticky liquid under him. He was wondering what it could be when. The overwhelming smell of iron bombard his scent. It pricked his nose. And stung his eyes. He was laying in blood. 

Xavier could only think it was his and that any minute now his heart would stop and his berating becomes idle. He shifted his body and had to cover his moth to keep from screaming. The girl the one with the fire tattoo on her arm Lay dead in front of him. Her lifeless eyes stared back at him an a bullet wound on her forehead poured blood. Xavier could also see that she'd been shot in the stomach as well. Xavier felt guilty that he thanked the gods it wasn't his blood. 

Another spray of bullets went off but after they went silent a deep mechanical voice followed. " The Elders thank you for your sacrifice and remind you that through your death all of the factions prosper."  Then the marching receded. Xavier waited till he couldn't hear them anymore then slowly sat up. He felt sore and his clothes stuck to him do to the blood and probably some sweat. He stood up slowly. His head was pounds. Red and Jacob came out from where they'd been hiding. Peter was coughing violently as he tried to stand. King went over and helped him up. Then Xavier saw Racer he was leaning up against a crate holding his shoulder. Blood trailed down his hand and arm splattering on the ground. What had happened why are we being killed. Question after question raced in his head. But he had no answer. None that made scenes.