Forty-Six

It hurts leaving her, but I had to

It hurts leaving her, but I had to. Then my daughter starts crying, and my feet root to the ground.

It hurts.

My heart breaks when she screams, and my wife makes hushed noises. The baby is crying because she feels Giulia's fear.

My wife is worried, and she has no reason to be. I can't leave my angels. Death won't look me in the face today. I'm the king of death, and it's always been for her. I killed before, but where it concerns the woman I love, I'll do it ten times to protect her. She has gifted me with life, and I'll never stop until my last breath.

There's this new feeling that possessed me. It's like a driven need to protect my family and return to them. It was a promise. I'm walking out that door, not knowing how things are on the compound.

It's me and Ruslan for now. I cannot call anyone else because there isn't any signal. Hell, the guards might just be dead, for all I know. I don't know how many Edoardo has.

I've walked into a mission blind, and I'm still here. Today won't change a thing.

My baby girl stops crying, and I take a deep breath before leaving them in safety. I had to park five minutes away from the house and have never sprinted this fast. It's almost like I could feel Giulia begging me to be with her.

I slipped into the dark house and knew where to find them. Elizaveta knew how things ran inside this house and how to use a gun. Her quiet nature wouldn't sell her out. Silence didn't mean docile, and Elizaveta was nothing but when she needed to be.

I had to take some of her pain when I entered that safe room and saw my wife in pain. Her grip on the leather sofa turned her knuckles white, and fuck—she wasn't even making a sound. I could feel her pain, especially when she squeezed my hand and pushed.

I didn't plan for her to give birth like this—for fuck's sake, it's unmedicated, and when Giulia shook her head as if she couldn't do it anymore, I vowed to make it hurt for Edoardo.

I'll drive her to the hospital after I kill the bastard. I can't promise there won't be a grotesque scene that I'd pay a hefty amount to get authorities off my back. For now, it's me, my gun and Ruslan that I know isn't fucking dead.

A crash sounds in the back, and my gun is already pointing in that direction. Thank fuck for light paint because I wouldn't see shit right now.

A pool of blood flows to my feet, and I realise it's Andrei's corpse. I don't have time to dwell on that because the killer is not far if the body just fell a minute ago. It's a clean slice of the throat.

I'm about to move when a drop falls on my nose. I don't wipe it but move out of the way until the man responsible lands in front of me. I react quickly and butt him in the nose with my gun.

He staggers backwards, and I'd marvel at the crunch of his bone, but fuck if I'm feeling excited. Rage blinds me as I grip his head and slam it on the wall. He cries, and I stop before pulling his head up by the hair.