Thirty-Nine

We arrived in Italy at almost seven o'clock in the morning, and I fell asleep as soon as we clocked into the hotel room

We arrived in Italy at almost seven o'clock in the morning, and I fell asleep as soon as we clocked into the hotel room. I felt uncomfortable all night and couldn't even dance with my husband at the wedding. That sucks. I'd be panicking if I hadn't had a checkup days ago.

Adrik woke me up so we could have breakfast, and although I didn't like that, it was already late for lunch with my family. It felt odd saying that because I never thought I'd have people who cared for me. It was the best feeling, but third to hearing my girls' heartbeats and hearing my husband tell me he loves us every night.

I couldn't shower quickly enough that he joined me and took over. He brushed through my hair and clipped it with a claw because "of the heat" and helped me in a long white bandeau dress and clear kitten heels.

Fuck, he was being too admirable when I was anything but to him. Of course, I allowed him to kiss me as a thank you, and he's the happiest man I could roll my eyes at.

The drive to the estate took an hour. I could feel the taste of the apple on my tongue already. The apples I picked myself were just better.

My husband drives the car through the avenue and looks at the guards at every tree. That didn't stop him from stalking me. I'm in love with a dangerous man, and he treats me like a queen. Only I get that treatment, and I'm smiling to the moon.

"Be nice when we get there," I warn. "I won't let you spoil my weekend because you chose to be bad." He grunts, and I bite my lip to stop my giggle.

Adrik pulls over in the parking spots, and I'm already giddy to get out. I stopped myself, respecting him for being a gentleman. There were eyes on the estate, and I didn't want anyone to assume I was not a happy wife. My man does his duties, and he eats every single time.

He stretches his hand for me to take, and I'm breathing Naples air with a hint of apples and peaches. Fuck. I've missed this.

Someone walks to us, and I'm nervous to even speak to him. That last I remember, he was upset with me because of my attitude, right?

"Giulia."

"Romeo."

"You look nice." I feel Adrik's presence at my back without looking. He is even breathing heavily, for fuck's sake. Romeo doesn't even know it with his innocent look.

"Thank you." I smile. "You haven't changed."

"What can I say? There's nothing to change." He smiles.

"This is my husband, Adrik Mikhailov." I step aside to introduce the two. "Malysh, meet Romeo, my friend."

"Mr Mikhailov," Romeo's body tensed when he met my husband's eyes. Adrik just stares at Romeo with a dark expression. He wouldn't accept the welcome, so I stepped before Adrik again.

"Baby, get the suitcase." If this isn't awkward enough, I don't know what is.

"Oh no, that's why I'm here. Antonio- Okay..." The car door slams shut, and I know the brute didn't like Romeo.